It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US Veteran faces legal action for flying American Flag

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This is ridiculous in my opinion.

www.foxnews.com...

A retired U.S. Army chaplain is being threatened with legal action for flying the American flag in his front yard, the Daily Mail reports.

edit on 26-6-2011 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

MODS feel free to move to another forum if needed. thanks
edit on 26-6-2011 by Pressthebutton because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
who the hell do they think they are trying to tell a vietnam vet he cant raise our countries flag on his own property?? His reply to them was 100% dead on.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by tpak89

I agree completely, they have no right. He risked his life in a war for the same country that is telling him this.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Homeowner's associations are evil. Never, ever, EVER buy a house in a neighborhood where you have a homeowner's association. They will let some people get away with murder and will threaten legal action against another person because their picket fence is one shade too white.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Haha, at one point you'd get screwed for flying foreign flags or anti american flags, now you can't even fly our own country's flag... well... at least it's now fair that i can't fly a communist flag in my front yard if i can't fly an american one either

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Why do people join homeowner's association and then complain about what isn't allowed?

on the other hand, why do homeowners association make such a big deal out of nothing?

Let the man fly his flag on the pole instead of the house.

He no doubt earned it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Sorry but your country is fail...
No offence intended but I don't envy you Americans at all.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Yep. I so happen to live in one of these gated communities that has an entire chain of command to it, and if I were to go and put an American flag out front of my unit, I think they would be all over it by the end of the day.

It reminds me of an X-Files episode called Arcadia in season 6, where this crazy community abides by a whole slew of rules, where Mulder and Scully are assigned to investigate some missing couple. The Community even has a huge book of rules and regulations pertaining to it, and if you go against it some monster would come out and would drag you off into the night - Where I live, we have the same thing (the big book of regulations that is, sans monster I hope), it's quite hilarious and honestly living in this community really spooks me out sometimes.

But now I may go scope out a good spot to plant a (of course illuminated at night) American Flag and see what their response to such an action would be. Could be very interesting.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I remember hearing a story from a while ago here in Australia, that a man was permitted to fly the Nazi battle flag in his front yard, while elsewhere another man was fined for flying the Australian national flag. This is not just happening in the U.S. - perhaps I should fly the Argentine flag with the creepy sun-person on it outside my window and see what happens?

What´s the difference between displaying a plain piece of cloth and a flag? Would this man be in trouble if he hung his bedsheet up like a flag?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
Let's post the whole story.

It violates Homeowners Association rules, the same rules he agreed to when moving there.

They offered to fly the flag for him.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

No doubt that they did try to work with him. But I have to question whether the homeowners association policy conflict with the flag law mentioned in the same article.

SEC. 3. RIGHT TO DISPLAY THE FLAG OF THE UNITED STATES.

A condominium association, cooperative association, or residential real estate management association may not adopt or enforce any policy, or enter into any agreement, that would restrict or prevent a member of the association from displaying the flag of the United States on residential property within the association with respect to which such member has a separate ownership interest or a right to exclusive possession or use.

www.govtrack.us...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Pressthebutton

Well he shouldnt of broken the rules. its just like when you signed in on ATS you have to agree with the rules if you dont wanna get banned. Just because your Some Super hereo doesnt mean you can just break the rules whenever you like. (unless you own it of course).

besides who does this guy think he is? flying the American flag. what is this China?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
double post
edit on 26-6-2011 by youallcrazy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Sorry but your country is fail...
No offence intended but I don't envy you Americans at all.

If the US is a fail, what does that make the country we successfully revolted against?
No offense

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Homeowners association strikes again.

He should've never moved somewhere that had that, I mean they regulate EVERYTHING about your home.

This has nothing to do with freedom, this is part of being under the homeowners association.

They did offer to fly his flag at the main building as you enter, but he refused and rabble rabbled some more.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by elevatedone

Have to agree with this. He has to follow the rules he agreed to when he moved in. Seems like he wanted the benefits this association offers yet doesn't want to follow the rules of it.

Have his cake and eat it too as it were. What is his issue with having them fly the flag for him? Does he need to be within a certain proximity to it for it to have meaning?

Seems to me the homeowner association is doing more than enough to accomodate this man.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jam321

We went through this in another thread.
The Homeowners Association is in the right. If their rules are determined to be reasonable, there is leeway.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

This guy SIGNED an agreement to obey the rules. He agreed to the T&C and then violated them. When asked to comply, he refused!
Banned!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
This guy did risked life for our country but i agree with all the posts here, he should have followed the rules.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
How do these home owners associations work? I am not all that familiar with them.

Is it essentially a group that has "power" over the entire neighborhood? Even properties that do not belong to them? How is it possible that these "groups" can trump the right to free expression? I would think the constitution trumps a home owners association.

But like I said, I haven't ever had any dealings with groups like this so I am not sure where they get their authority from.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkrunner

A homeowner association is corporation formed by a real estate developer for the purpose of marketing, managing, and selling of homes and lots in a residential subdivision. It grants the developer privileged voting rights in governing the association, while allowing the developer to exit financial and legal responsibility of the organization, typically by transferring ownership of the association to the homeowners after selling off a predetermined number of lots. It allows a civil municipality to increase its tax base, but without requiring it to provide equal services to all of its citizens. Membership in the homeowners association by a residential buyer is typically a condition of purchase; a buyer isn't given an option to reject it. Some homeowner associations hire and retain property management companies. The board of directors is responsible for the retention of these companies.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join