It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
ALso the U.S. is definetly molded out of the christian faith.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Athiests just need to stop taking everything as a personal shot at what they believe in. Who gives a damn, who or what someone believes in.

Use some common sense. Let people display what they want to display, they do it for a reason other than to piss atheists off. So don't take it personally and we'll all be a lot happier.

Well said..Some atheist totaly disrespect religious history and act like everyone is trying to stop them from being an atheist.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Are we not proof of an intelligent design(God)?

Is life not proof of God?

So the real question here is..do you believe we came from nothing,or something?That something being God or whatever it was that created all!

Why after all these years of making us believe God existed are they making us believe he doesn't exist?You can see it everywhere.Especially on Tv.Why the denouncement of God after all these years?Why do we still have to swear on the bible then?I mean is it official?Did the president come out on Tv and say.."God doesn't exist"?Has it been proven?What are all those holy wars about?Just a bunch a "crazy people" fighting for nothing I suppose?

And what about all the promoting of Satan?Is that part of our imagination too?And all the Satanic subliminal messages put into our kids shows,is that just our imagination too?

People ask for proof but it's everywhere just look around!Look in the mirror!That's proof!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint

THE PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.

I am amused by the comments of the OP and other reject The Pledge of Allegiance, the Flag and the Republic for which it stands, and God and Liberty and Justice for All, since these are the principals by which they have the right to write and reject same.

Don't get me wrong, I am no fan of the traitors who have seized our Government and pretty much most of our country but they only think they own me, only think they own my country and my "Allegiance" is not to them, it is to our Republic, to God, to Liberty and Justice for ALL.

Truly, what you think and feel is okay with me if you reject these principals but don't hold it against us if we don't claim you.

I will now add that there are some of us who are blood serious when we say this is our country and will probably have no problem with expelling those who do not agree with our Constitution, Bill of Rights and the principals expressed in our Pledge of Allegiance. I don't expect you or others to "get" or like it but don't be too surprised if you are herded into the same pens with the Globalists, the Luciferians, the other enemies of humanity and particularly the enemies of this Republic. I make these comments in general; we/I am not asking, I am telling.

edit on 27-6-2011 by MajorKarma because: Typos

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I didn't always think like this, but, in my opinion, the word 'God,' doesn't have to necessarily apply to a particular organized religion, but instead refer to the inner humanity, wonder, and sense of adventure in us all.

For this reason, when 'God,' is taken out of the pledge of allegiance, it almost seems like just another attempt to take the mystery and adventure out of life, and reduce it to just the mundane tasks of the daily routine.

That being said, America is a democracy, and majority rules. We take a vote, if the majority want it to stay, then it stays, if they don't it doesn't.

If eventually, one day, the majority of Americans want to take it out, then so be it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
"I pledge allegiance to my flag and the republic for which it stands: one nation indivisible with liberty and justice for all."

The real Pledge of Allegiance, it never needed to be changed.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by beansanmash

I didn't always think like this, but, in my opinion, the word 'God,' doesn't have to necessarily apply to a particular organized religion, but instead refer to the inner humanity, wonder, and sense of adventure in us all.

For this reason, when 'God,' is taken out of the pledge of allegiance, it almost seems like just another attempt to take the mystery and adventure out of life, and reduce it to just the mundane tasks of the daily routine.

That being said, America is a democracy, and majority rules. We take a vote, if the majority want it to stay, then it stays, if they don't it doesn't.

If eventually, one day, the majority of Americans want to take it out, then so be it.

Yeah but a democracy can lead to mobocracy where whoever is in power can do whatever they want and the rest must give them that respect.Can destory the Republic for which it stands.However Demoracies for the most part seem to work.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Jobeycool because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AllIsOne
Thomas Jefferson was a deeply religious man, but he wrote:

Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between Man & his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his worship, that the legitimate powers of government reach actions only, & not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

Case closed.

I guess the case is closed if you want to take what TJ said completely out of context. First, it is important to mention that this quote is not regarding any legislation whatsoever, nor was it in reference to the Constitution. He was speaking about the problems that arise from government coercion in the church. The Church of England and the tyranny and horrors committed by them were still fresh on everyone's mind back then. TJ and the other framers knew what would happen to the American experiment if Government were to become involved in the church and promote a State (capital S) sponsored religion. This quote is taken from a letter written to John Adams (if I'm not mistaken). The Separation of Church and State was about keeping the Government out of the affairs of private churches, and it only applied to the Federal Government. Individual member states were allowed to establish official religions if they wanted to IAW the 10 amendment. They could also lay church and religious taxes on the citizens if they wanted.

Having "under God" in the Pledge has nothing to do with TJ's definition of Separation of Church and state. Also, I wouldn't consider TJ to be a deeply religious man, because he was a deist. He certainly believed in God and that God is the creator of all things. He also believed that man's rights were natural and that they derived from God and not government.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I don't like cigarettes should they be banned? I also don't like Brussels sprouts, should they be banned? Atheist seem to think the world should change for their small minority. The fact that Atheist think we should take the wording "One Nation Under God" out of the pledge is kind of like one religion trying to tell the rest of us how and what we should do, even though I may not believe in their beliefs. It's hypocritical and just another group trying to impose their will upon others. Atheist are doing the same thing. No one forces you to recite the pledge of allegiance. I don't remember being forced to do it in school. and that was a long time ago.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

Since God is intrinsic to all life everywhere already always, now and forever, he would be hard to remove, from anything, so why waste your time..?

God is our very condition, but the atheist asks for "proof"!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadowx089
Soo people who don't believe want UNDER GOD gone?

But believers want UNDER GOD there!?

So...So if a non-believer is a 0 because its nothing and a believer is a 1 because its something and both want something so its a +. Then ends up,

Non-believer + Believer = Believers.

So only believers of God have to right to choose if UNDER GOD should or shouldn't be allowed.

Problem solved...lol...you don't have the right to say because you chose to give up that right...the end.

What..are you talking about? What kind of screwy math is this?

The "Under God" part was added in the early 50's. You know, when black people were lynched & interracial relations were considered 'communism'. That should give you an idea of the mindset of the people that put it in there. A lot of the things that we still do now, that we did then, should be re-looked at. We were all insane bigots & there's not a lot to be proud of. Our country went 175 years without saying "one nation, under god.. " Why would it be the downfall of our country if we stopped it now?

All that said, I don't care either way to be honest. I'm not having kids, and I'm not in school. I just fail to see the importance. Patriotism will be the end of this country.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
The question I have I guess is, should God be taken out of the pledge if you do not believe in Him?

Thought you might find this interesting. The phrase "In God We Trust" has been stamped on our coinage since 1864.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c95914d298be.jpg[/atsimg]

This of course is taken from the last stanza of the Star Spangled Banner ("And this be our motto: 'In God is our trust.") which was written in 1814. I know, it's not the pledge of allegiance but our national anthem includes this phrase and it's embedded on our currency which one could argue is the most important thing to most people. I don't see how this being in the pledge is a big deal when you probably carry around and use currency with this phrase. It still spends the same doesn't it? Or would it be of more value without the phrase? Would the national anthem be better without the phrase as well?

It's heritage and history. I don't see the point in taking it out. It won't make anyone more or less of a Christian just by reciting the words.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
If every nation lived under a Republic and by Libetarian views and served Justice for all its own people and believed in the Individuals own rights to His beliefs and rights to say what He wnated to say then there could not be wars.But that is not reailty...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
The government shouldn't be pushing any beliefs on anyone. Why should they? The whole "under god" was only added to the pledge of allegiance in 1954. Personally I don't think we shouldn't have a Pledge of Allegiance or any "god" nonsense on money.

If you believe some invisible man runs the universe you shouldn't even be allowed any public office because you are obviously mentally ill and completely delusional.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Sadly, you are probably right. Seems fewer and fewer let others live they way they choose. I have always thought it was strange for them to place "under god" in there in the first place.
As a child of the public school system we recited the pledge every morning. Never cared one way or the other. As I grew older I chose to not say it at all.
Resembles prayer in school... we had morning prayer and some kid would recite a bible verse. During this time I chose to daydream and reflect on stuff. I was never upset that they did it and now I am not upset that it is no longer done. Same goes for "under god".
I do not like it when groups try to force feed me their morals. They never taste as good as they claim.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptGizmo
No one forces you to recite the pledge of allegiance.

Um, yes they do. I was sent to the principals quite often for pretending to mouth the pledge/not saying it at all, and that was 15-20 years ago.

They force kids to say "Under God" with their hands on their hearts. It doesn't have a significant meaning to me, but I'm sure it does to young & impressionable kids. And how confusing would it be to kids that have a different "god" or none at all?

I mean, what does swearing on a bible actually mean? Nothing to me.. but obviously it means something to someone. There's a psychological effect in play, and that's why we do these things in the first place. Like zombies, we all repeat things in unison. Instilling & embedding things into the brains of our kids, just like the ABCs. Why do we have our kids sing the ABCs? - because it's important & we never want them to forget it. Can the same be done with "God", in a government run facility like an elementary school? I don't know.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jobeycool Why are some atehist down right intolerate and realy plain old stupid over the subject of faith.This stuff just gets dumber and dumber and dumber.
We are the ones who asked for proof and none was provided. I hope the insults make you feel better and in no way intolerant.

I've been punched, hit with objects, and yelled at for being an atheist. I've been the subject of smiling group rejection designed to humiliate me. I've been scoffed at by preachers. I understand you religious folk are VERY set in your ways. I just want you to know that I am too. Until there is proof of your Flying Spaghetti Monster, I am right. And if you prove that your Flying Spaghetti Monster wrote The Bible, then I would reject God. That book is an unholy mess.

Originally posted by babybunnies
Because other people do, and the USA, like it or not, was founded on religious principles.

If you don't like it, move.
I would like to see a show of hands of all the Christians who would like to see me out of THEIR country.

Originally posted by Jobeycool Because a total collpase of something called respect will be gone and not understanding the true nature of why governments exist and have an allegiance.Some people do not live in the real world.
Are you saying this is indoctrination or a reality check?

Is anyone saying we need to be conditioned to believe in God and country or we will be committing atrocities? Other primates care for each other without having a god concept.
edit on 27-6-2011 by gentledissident because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Jobeycool

Freedom like the kind America has is very rare to even happen through out hsitory.We take in America for granted badly,we seem to forget how good we have it.

what do you think is so special about america compared to all the other western civilized nations. Like the ones in the EU, canada or australia? (there's a lot more too)
edit on 27-6-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
... It's so hard to find good threads on ATS when threads like THIS keep coming up.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dbates

so because people were a bit backwards in the 1800s they should remain that way? heres a picture of an english £10 note.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/43d4ca7f4763.jpeg[/atsimg]

I know which i would rather have on my money, I'll take Darwin everyday of the week.

edit on 27-6-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join