I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by chancemusky

By not even mentioning it, we can leave it to the individual to do what they please about it. And for the people who say "its history, get over it!"Its VERY recent. It was put in by Eisenhower.

Thanks for responding...very much!
This is true. If it were simply left out people could insert it as they wish and you are not deliberately offending anyone. It does seem to be the best answer all around. Religious or not you can have it either way.

Out of curiosity I wonder if Eisenhower was a Mason? As the poster earlier, NuclearPaul pointed out, this God is not defined at all anyway. We all just assume this is the Christian God when it could mean any God (maybe this IS the intention to respect religious freedom) but then again this God might all along have been Lucifer. Maybe we should be grateful the pledge doesn't say one nation under the light bearer.
A little humor.
edit on 27-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by shadowx089
Soo people who don't believe want UNDER GOD gone?

But believers want UNDER GOD there!?

So...So if a non-believer is a 0 because its nothing and a believer is a 1 because its something and both want something so its a +. Then ends up,

Non-believer + Believer = Believers.

So only believers of God have to right to choose if UNDER GOD should or shouldn't be allowed.

Problem solved...lol...you don't have the right to say because you chose to give up that right...the end.

Sorry but god would be the 0 in your equation since man CREATED GOD and there is PLENTY OF PROOF OF THAT !!!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
reply to post by chancemusky

By not even mentioning it, we can leave it to the individual to do what they please about it. And for the people who say "its history, get over it!"Its VERY recent. It was put in by Eisenhower.

Thanks for responding...very much!
This is true. If it were simply left out people could insert it as they wish and you are not deliberately offending anyone. It does seem to be the best answer all around. Religious or not you can have it either way.

Out of curiosity I wonder if Eisenhower was a Mason? As the poster earlier, NuclearPaul pointed out, this God is not defined at all anyway. We all just assume this is the Christian God when it could mean any God (maybe this IS the intention to respect religious freedom) but then again this God might all along have been Lucifer. Maybe we should be grateful the pledge doesn't say one nation under the light bearer.
A little humor.
edit on 27-6-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

[slight derail]
Just as an FYI aside, Satan is never referred to as "Lucifer" in Scriptures, "light-bearer" is no where near the strongest translation - "morning star" is much more accurate and a number of fairly respected Bible commentators (John Gill, Adam Clarke, Albert Barnes, etc.) agree that the word that became the Latin word "Lucifer" originally was more than likely in reference to the Babylonian King, especially understanding Isaiah's proclamation in context.

That is, of course, if you were referring to "Lucifer" as "Satan."

If you were referring to the Babylonian King, then yes you are correct, but it would be "morning star."
[/end of derail]
edit on 27-6-2011 by quadagent because: sentence structure

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockdisjoint
reply to post by newcovenant

The ``pledge`` should be thrown out altogether.

Why do people feel the need to pledge allegiance to a flag anyway?
edit on 26-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

Ok just to get this off my chest. The Flag of the United States of America, is our national identity. Before you flame me hear me out. First the U.S. being a diverese nation with no one specific ethnic background as most other nations on the planet. So the Flag and the Constitution are what binds us as a nation. There by pledging allegiance to the Flag is pledging your allegiance to your nation and the Constitution.

If your ashamed to pledge your allegiance to the one symbol of our country, then you need to rethink where you live. Before you say why I would want to pledge my allegiance to a country that is going through alot of turmoil from various angles, we are still the best nation on God's green earth. Yes our nation has it's own problems, and yes we will find our way through it, that is the American way. If you have shame or disapprove of that than move.

Also remember this in closing, your pledging your allegiance to your nation and the Constitution not anything anyone or anything else.

Grim

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   
My thoughts are, we use "Under god" in our pledge because everybody has a personal god, whether its Christian, Islamic, Buddhist, etc. Then, we have Atheists...

But, honestly, we've much bigger problems to worry about instead of bickering over 2 words. If you don't like it, don't say it, simple as that, I recited the pledge with "Under god" every day in school to our flag up until High School, I remember there being plenty of other people from different religions who simply chose not to say it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

I think that there is 'probably' some sort of higher being, whether that is a god, or higher-selves, who knows. but I do understand there are people who are adamant in the beliefs of varying gods, and lack of gods, and to be honest, that is perfectly cool by me.

Why someone would assume that all freemen and women, would want to be represented by the same god, or any god at all, especially where nationalism is involved, would have to be reaching a little don't ya think?

The word "God" should be stripped, from anything and all things politics. That alone would solve just about, well.. damn, most of the worlds problems.
edit on 27-6-2011 by ToFarGone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeepThoughtCriminal
Part of your history, part of how your country was formed. So keep it, and worry about the more pressing issues.

Good point, so that means you have to bring back slavery.

There were plenty of Christians who believed in that too.
edit on 27/6/11 by Wotcher because: quote tags

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:54 AM
link   

ah, silly atheists. what won't they come up with next? removing crosses from tombstones?
lol. world is going to #, and stupid atheists don't have better things to do than to worry
about... stupid things. oh, well. it shows that atheists are just human, ergo stupid.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:56 AM
link   
God should be kept in the pledge, just because ONE count ONE person wants it out it shouldn't be thrown out, what about the people who want to keep it in???.....Do they have no rights or say?

How about we do this, we hold a vote type election for either yes it should be kept in or no it shouldn't and what ever side gets more votes wins...

I find it appalling that one persons opinion should count more then a ton of peoples opinions, it's simply not fair.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Question for you OP.

Why is just about atheists?

How about if the pledge is changed to "Under Allah...." or "under Vishnu"

Since there are Muslim Americans in your country that should be OK.

Why does it have to be the christian god?

There are many gods worshipped on this planet. It's not just christians and atheists in your country
edit on 27/6/1111 by Krusty the Klown because: Kan't spell

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
You either believe in GOD or you don't. I think I hear you saying that you "hope" ther's a GOD. At any rate, our country WAS a lot greater and simpler and people were generally nicer to each other. I have lived in America since I was a little boy and I have been pretty aware as I was never a sheep and never followed ANYONE my whole life. I always saw following others as a sign of weakness. I didn't even play sports because I saw all of the people watching footbal and the way they acted....always trying to out-do each other, always trying to be a leader of a bunch of followers just to find out that everyone was a scientist of footbal trivia and drunken idiocy, hence they were all just followers with big egos over a sport really designed by the elites to give them the "My country is better than yours" mentality....which assures wars, ths assures the elites ...money. Football is, in essence, a training tool for the people, by the elites, to keep them beating their chest in victory if they win....in anger and "ready for war" if they don't, hence the jerseys.....hence the flags,...and all countries practice this. We all live in one great big football field where the losers of the opposite team die and all pay with their lives for imperfection. I am no better than than anyone else, but I, for some reason, just never fell for this and never got mixed up in this mentality. My point is, I have not been distracted and I have watched the decline of the states.....the most major point in the decline was when they removed GOD from our country. Our schools, our government....when GOD was taken out of the equation America just went crazy. So believe in him or not, no one can deny that when GOD was a part of our country....things were much, much better ....even for the athiests and Satan worhipers.
I believe in GOD and I love 'HIM', I have never seen GOD, but I have 100% faith that he knows what he is doing. I will not question.....I can't, I have seen too much.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   
I don't believe in evolution. So why do they still teach it to my kids at school?

I don't believe there isn't a God, so why should I let people take God out of the pledge?

You see? .....No you probably don't!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
This makes a lot of sense but I don't see why people are using it as a political weapon all of a sudden.
It is a tough argument and there are those who will say we began and were founded as an escape for religious freedom and God played a big part of our nations founding.

Then those people seem pretty confused about the concept of religious freedom if they believe they have their own god to thank for it.

It was added to the pledge, it should not be such an issue to suggest the pledge be returned to it's original form.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by ToFarGone

How ignorant. The Soviet Union eliminated God and they were a non violent nation weren't they. (yeah right!) How many millions disappeared under Communism that actually persected religions?

You are very very ignorant in your statement. Man is essentially evil without God as the above proves.

God isn't the problem, it's man. Where did God come into the first world war? Or the second?. Oh.. how about Vietnam, that was religiously instigated wasn;t it? Nope!

very ignorant statement
edit on 27-6-2011 by daggyz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Phenomium

I agree with you on the belief in God, and it pains me to see the decline of the greastest beacon of freedom the world has ever seen, becasue of politcal correctness, coruption, the "you owe me" menality of entitlement. it has been said and written the only way to get the U.S. to fail was to remove the U.S. from its founding beliefs, and a big one was freedom of religion. No matter what religion you follow, most say the same thing, you remove the moral basis from a society, the society colapses. I tend to believe that is where most people have the issues with it, is the fact that it reminds them of thier moral obligations to each other not just thier God.

Grim

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
As an atheist i don't have a particular problem with 'under God'. God is term that is used so loosely that it has pretty much lost all meaning to me. No one is forced to say those words anyway. I certainly wouldn't.

Its the pledge allegiance part that's more than a little strange. It seems as though its some form of passive mind control. Making kids repeat it everyday that is. Also what exactly are we pledging to? The country? Are kids old enough to understand or even care?

Personally this country is turning in tome kind of police state. Like Orwellian or some #. Who wants to pledge to that?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by daggyz
I don't believe in evolution. So why do they still teach it to my kids at school?

Because there is proof that evolution exists.

I don't believe there isn't a God, so why should I let people take God out of the pledge?

Because you have no proof.

You see? .....No you probably don't!

Thanks for pre-judging everyone else before hearing what they think.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   

Yes I do believe it should be taken out. I have a hard time understanding why people are so agenst separation of church and state. I would think that all people no matter there beliefs would be for it. Separation of church and state simply means the government stays out of religion, it doesn’t mean that our government is Atheist, simply that they don’t endorse one view over another. When the government stays out of religion altogether every view, Christian, Jewish, Muslim and Atheism win.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:37 AM
link   
Why don't we change the pledge to "one nation, under Satan, indivisible" and see the crapstorm from the theists roll in. It would more or less be the same reaction from atheists when they're "forced" to pledge to God, something that they don't believe in.

Maybe that can put it into perspective for those who believe in God and say it isn't a big deal. Personally I don't think it's a big deal, but some do. And since God wasn't included in the original pledge, why should it remain?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
OK. I'm a staunch atheist. I'm one of these people who has absolutely no doubt that God is a fairy tale. And, even if there is a god, no bible from any religion depicts him accurately, but--instead--was written by man to coerce and control man. I hate religion and I think that people who believe in that stuff without questioning it are naive.

Having said that. These other atheists--the ones that make a giant stink out of "god" in the pledge or act offended when someone says "god bless you" to a sneeze--make me sick. They are just attention whores, desperate to draw attention to their cause. It's not about "god" at all. It's about THEM--yelling "look at me!!!" Grow up.

new topics
top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join