It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I don't believe in "God" so why shouldn't God be taken out of the pledge?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Celestial1
Easy solution, nobody has to say anything they dont believe in. If you don't believe in God then just don't say that part you could say

That "Part" does not belong there.

When it is finally removed - - which I believe it will be.

All you God believers can insert "under God" on your own.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   
your belief or disbelief on God, doesn't alter His existence. if you don't want to pledge allegiance to a country under God, then omit the last part, and pledge your allegiance to a nation not under God.

as a matter of fact, pledging allegiance to america is not a law and no one is forcing you to do so.

this thread is more of an attack against God, than pledging allegiance to a country. there are many ways to pledge allegiance, you don't have to recite something somebody else wrote.

you can pledge allegiance to your country in your own words without focusing on one phrase, that is completely making you miss the entire point and spirit of the pledge.

i don't see the whole point of this thread, other than a typical atheist's hatred to something they think supposedly doesn't exist.

hating and getting angry at something that doesn't exist makes you insane. so maybe you should use that as a clue and the feelings that God rises out of you as to whether He exists or not.

edit on 26-6-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   
My question is why does every little thing in this country have to be knit-picked

This country was founded, by men who believed very much in the christian god. so its not hard to fathom why god is referenced like it is. The concept of separation of church and state refers to the distance in the relationship between organized religion and the nation state.

The word god has to be taken out of the pledge? i do not recall the word GOD officially being the name of the christian god. I thought it was YHWH or some such. should we change it this way for people? " One Nation, Under God, which ever you choose to worship, that's your freedom here, indivisible.." because to me the word GOD, could mean any god to to the individual who says it.

Seriously, we have to teach Spanish because some people refuse to learn English.

Muslims complain because of a lack of prayer time during school, but an American child gets in trouble for simply bowing their head in silence.

This country is focused on WAY too many trivial things at the moment.

this country was once great, but now its a nation of spoiled brats.

edit on 27-6-2011 by Kingbreaker because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kingbreaker
This country was founded, by men who believed very much in the christian god.

Not really. This country was founded on freedom of belief without persecution - - not belief itself.

Try this thread: "The United States was not founded in Christianity? I beg to differ.," www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
your belief or disbelief on God, doesn't alter His existence. if you don't want to pledge allegiance to a country under God, then omit the last part, and pledge your allegiance to a nation not under God.

I know I'm going to see you here protesting when its removed.

These type things are always revealing when the situation reverses.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   
I wonder how many atheists use the phrase "oh my God"

In all seriousness though, this argument is two sides of the same coin. "I believe in God, so keep it in there!" and "I don't believe in God, remove it!" It's easiest to just keep it in there. Plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrFake
I wonder how many atheists use the phrase "oh my God"

In all seriousness though, this argument is two sides of the same coin. "I believe in God, so keep it in there!" and "I don't believe in God, remove it!" It's easiest to just keep it in there. Plain and simple.

I'm saying the pledge should be as it was intended. The reason god was put in - - is an insult. God believers want to keep it there just because its says "under God" - - - they don't care why its there. Even when I was Christian I campaigned to remove it - - - because it is wrong.

Oh - - - and I use "GAWD" - - not "God".

edit on 27-6-2011 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Go back in time and change history then...oh you can't? so keep on crying till ya can. End of story

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname

as a matter of fact, pledging allegiance to america is not a law and no one is forcing you to do so.

this thread is more of an attack against God, than pledging allegiance to a country. there are many ways to pledge allegiance, you don't have to recite something somebody else wrote.

you can pledge allegiance to your country in your own words without focusing on one phrase, that is completely making you miss the entire point and spirit of the pledge.

i don't see the whole point of this thread, other than a typical atheist's hatred to something they think supposedly doesn't exist.

hating and getting angry at something that doesn't exist makes you insane. so maybe you should use that as a clue and the feelings that God rises out of you as to whether He exists or not.

edit on 26-6-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

Youve obviously not read the OP.
And people act like we want "a country not under god" instead. No, we want no mention of it, so noone has room to complain. People who want to say "under god" are forcing their opinion. People who want"notunder god " arealso forcing it. By not even mentioning it, we can leave it to the individual to do what they please about it. And for the people who say "its history, get over it!"Its VERY recent. It was put in by Eisenhower. And also, "you dont have to say it!" Never tried that in public school.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I understand both sides of this matter. I have been an atheist all my life. I took considerable time to study and learn as much as I could about various religions though. I respect all who have there own standing of beliefs. It's not easy but in striving to understand and respect others and there way of life It is no longer a chore for me. Fellow atheists kick me around though because I do not think that terms like "Heaven", "God" and so forth need be removed. I am not offended as those words have no power over me and do not insult me or my way of thinking and life. I think everyone gets just a bit over worked about these things but I can see where others come from.

The fact is that not everyone can have there cake and ice cream and eat it to. At some point we in society must draw a line and show some tolerance for our differences without being so easily offended. Special thanks to the OP for creating this topic of discussion as well.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:04 AM
link   
"GOD" is the new English word created by King James in 1610, exactly 401 years ago.

This is the exact same time King James made a speech to Parliament declaring HE was a GOD as well and everyone had to bow before him.

In 1609 English speaking people used different words to call their deity. Why? Because original scripture says the deity ORDERED to be called YHWY.

The word God on US currency and in the pledge signifies King James's new word...and that you all must bow before your Kings who declared themselves God.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
i don't believe in leprechauns, but i still like st patty's day decorations.

i don't believe in santa, but i still sing about him every christmas

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   
"UNDER GOD SHOULD BE REMOVED"

Sure, by all means, take out that phrase and be happy. Perhaps, replace the word/label with "RA" instead or whatever would satisfy your mind-set. After all, by removing that which is supposed to be "above" you, you remove that which is supposed to be "below" you as well. And that leaves only you as "God". For without God, you are nothing. Get it? [/end thoughts - weee!]

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
It shouldn't because it's tradition. Should the Constitution be changed to suit someone else's beliefs? There is something to be said for tradition and there good reasons to challenge it as long as it betters the purpose of whatever it is. In regards to God, some believe and others don't. If there was a majority against it, than democracy rules, but there isn't.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
Maybe they are right to do so and in this case UNDER GOD SHOULD BE REMOVED.

Especially when they don't define it.

The term "god" could easily apply to any entity. It does not automatically mean a benevolent one.

Define it, or remove it.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by CantSay

Very well stated. I could not have put it in better words. I have no issue with the process of laws in our land and if it were an issue of the majority it would have been resolved as such. It may someday still come to be removed though. That concerns many and I can understand why.

edit on 27-6-2011 by Flint2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Pervius
This is the exact same time King James made a speech to Parliament declaring HE was a GOD as well and everyone had to bow before him.

A great example.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
To say we are one nation under god is inaccurate

to be inaccurate while using the lords name is against the commandments...
do not use the lords name in vein, do not bear false witness

so ya...you can leave it in there...you can also say the president is ordained by god, etc...your beliefs, and if they are true, it will be your hell to deal with for breaking your own commandments to promote your vanity and false rightousness.

I would prefer "under peace"...at least we can all agree thats where we want to be

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by newcovenant
Maybe they are right to do so and in this case UNDER GOD SHOULD BE REMOVED.

Especially when they don't define it.

The term "god" could easily apply to any entity. It does not automatically mean a benevolent one.

Define it, or remove it.

This is very true too. What a large assumption it is to assume this is any one God any of us are familiar with. There is not even a guarantee this was intended to mean the Christian God in the original insertion or subsequent usage. This is another of many excellent points made toward removing the phrase from the pledge.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 02:06 AM
link   
As someone who believes in God...

Who cares what it says in the pledge? The pledge is about your fidelity to your country, patriotism, not faith in God. What is in or not in the pledge has nothing to do with my beliefs. I don't want the government anywhere near my beliefs.

How many people both 1) feel strongly about saying the pledge, and 2) are also bothered by the "under God" part?

When that number is bigger than those who don't care, we should take it out.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join