It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chile: Flashmob of 4000 Dance to Thriller to Protest Education Cuts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
There have been weeks of protests against budget cuts, and tuition hikes for Chilean students. This is a creative protest method. A crowd of 4000 danced to thriller, and made headlines around the world. People always concentrate on the anarchists, and the negative side of protests. Protests are often peaceful artistic expressions of grievances. They are often catalysts for positive change from a positive mindset. I applaud them for their efforts.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Here is another video.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Hahaha! That made me laugh, thats how its done! =P. I would want to be there.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
They look like a bunch of spoiled rich kids. I'm sorry but protesting like that is not the way. You should protest angrily, yet non-violently, and have a good reason, not because of a hockey game or you didn't get your way in some trivial matter.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

You are basing your opinion on nothing. No offense, but you don't know anything about the issues at hand. These kids have organized from age 12 through college age. Half the middle schools in the country are currently occupied by student protesters. Tens of thousands march through the Chilean equivalent of the Mall in DC every week or so. Every time the police move in with force to disperse the crowds. There is plenty of anger, but it always deteriorates into anarchists vs. police. Nothing is accompished, and I am glad to see some positive protesting..

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
This was a good idea, it gained international headlines very quickly, helping to bring more attention to their cause. Given the context, it does nothing to belittle their message, but actually reinforces it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
What on earth do you think this is going to achieve?

Stupidity at its finest.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
thats awesome!

MJ would of loved to see this. not sure it will help thier cause though.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I think it achieved exactly what is was designed to. Raise awareness, and attention about an issue through a creative positive act. I think protesting in this way is far more useful than burning cop cars, or fighting police.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I loved their idea - it brought national attention,
it was peaceful and very creative. Its time to
try something new and different, nothing
else works it seems.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Why do you think this will work?

2nd

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

This student protest has gotten zero coverage outside of Chile. The first video I posted was from Reuters. A big news agency doing even the smallest snippet on them means their issue got more coverage then before. People around the World saw these kids dancing, and maybe thought huh I wonder what the students are upset about. That is a victory for any political movement. Every small step is a step forward. It is not often that you hit a grand slam with grass roots activism. Usually there is a lot of bunting, and walks before a run is scored.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by SteveR
Why do you think this will work?

2nd

I don't think it's a case of whether or not it will 'work'.

Protests rarely work because the people in charge hardly ever consider the people they rule over, despite how pissed off they get. The more intense the protests, the more intense the military backlash is. They don't necessarily bring about any positive change.

However, by doing something creative and unique, these Chileans have brought awareness of their problems to a global audience. International pressure will accomplish much more in the long run than violent protestors.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

If people see a huge mob dancing to music in the street how does one come to the impression they are "upset"?

reply to post by drwizardphd

You haven't quantified these statements. Who will care? What international pressure?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 06:52 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

The dancers were part of a larger crowd chanting, marching, and waving banners. In addition, anyone in the country already knows what they are all about. The rest of the world discovers their issue because of the creative way they gained attention.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
That is too creepy for me, if they start protesting here like that how will we know the real zombies from the protesters? Innocent zombies would get hurt!

I am creeped out! Maybe they should do this on Washington!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by stephinrazin

You didn't answer my questions, and you have still not explained how this is going to cause change.

top topics

join