It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Government is dumbing down schools" says former Director of Education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
According to a woman who used to work for the United States government, the government officials who operate the United States education system, as well as other education systems, are deliberately dumbing down today's youth. I know that they do this to a certain extent in order to create docile workers, which is what school is basically for, creating a work force. However, I'm not sure it's to the extent that the woman is talking about. What do you guys think?

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
It's been happening for years, when you dumb down the class so the dumb ones can keep up, what do you expect? When you change the studies so people of different backgrounds can feel special...what do you expect? When you dumb down a language so that uneducated inner city youth can feel normal....what do you expect? When you reward every little thing and everyone wins...what do you expect? The progressive movement destroyed education with the help of the teachers unions as well as many minority organizations, all in the name of equality. And yet we woinder why kids act they way they do and are so apathetic.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Laguna

As an ex/retired teacher, I would say this is right on. The state of Mi. came into our system and gutted the programs I taught, it was insane, the kids learned less in the following few years I was there than ever before. I was so damn mad, I took my retirement and went sailing by damn. Also this attitude comes from parents as well. I was once challenged that I could not fail a whole class, this from the kids and partly from the school itself. So they as a group did not do anything and I failed all but 10% of the class and to hell with my job, someone needs to stand up. I stayed and they brought the grades up after that.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by sailormon

Star for you........OT but if I may ask, what type of boat, location, etc? I don't see enough fellow sailors on here, perhaps that's a conspiracy too.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by adifferentbreed

Star for you........OT but if I may ask, what type of boat, location, etc? I don't see enough fellow sailors on here, perhaps that's a conspiracy too.

At the time, I built an F-9A, and went to the Bahamas etc. Since I have lived aboard a catamaran in Fl. and then a series of boats. Just sold another f boat, and slowed down due to injuries, now sail a fine sea pearl 21 ketch on Charlotte harbor from Punta Gorda fl. still love my sailing however.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Not too far from me, I live on Anna Maria Island.
Beautiful sailing here.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Not to hijack your thread, but I made the same observation about 7 months ago. The Department of Education has done more harm to our citizens than any other agency in my opinion. Nobody can even freaking spell anymore! It's truly pathetic.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
The government doesn't want a smart populace. A smart group asks questions, investigates, thinks about answers. Politicians can't fool smart people. Politicians have to actually think when speaking to smart people.
Of course they want to dumb-down America.

Cattle are easier to herd.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   
Have you heard of Norman Dodd?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CantSay
Have you heard of Norman Dodd?

I googled him. Had alot to say about D of E. Sounds like he was spot on.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
well, from what I can gather from the author, she's about as reliable as a Ford Pinto without a rear axle.

I wonder if she posts on ATS.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by sailormon
reply to post by Laguna

As an ex/retired teacher, I would say this is right on. The state of Mi. came into our system and gutted the programs I taught, it was insane, the kids learned less in the following few years I was there than ever before. I was so damn mad, I took my retirement and went sailing by damn. Also this attitude comes from parents as well. I was once challenged that I could not fail a whole class, this from the kids and partly from the school itself. So they as a group did not do anything and I failed all but 10% of the class and to hell with my job, someone needs to stand up. I stayed and they brought the grades up after that.
Good for you!! A real teacher shame you finally had enough.My Aunt was a teacher at the local high school for 40 years Lower the standards so we can be like the rest dose not work .No busting their butts means they do as they please..now we have police patroling our schools

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWalkingFox

Yeah, she's a real loose cannon

THE LAST NAIL OF SO-CALLED SCHOOL REFORM is being struck in the coffin of traditional American education which made our nation the envy of the Free World and which produced famous scientists, engineers, mathematicians, writers, artists, musicians, doctors, etc.
The reform is not new. It started in the early 1900s when John D. Rockefeller, Jr.’s Director of Charity for the Rockefeller Foundation, Frederick T. Gates, set up the Southern Education Board. In 1913 the organization was incorporated into the General Education Board. These boards set in motion “the deliberate dumbing down of America”. In Frederick T. Gates’ “The Country School of Tomorrow” Occasional Papers No. 1 (General Education Board, New York, 1913) was a section entitled “A Vision of the Remedy” in which he wrote:

“Is there aught a remedy for this neglect of rural life? Let us, at least, yield ourselves to the gratifications of a beautiful dream that there is. In our dream, we have limitless resources, and the people yield themselves with perfect docility to our moulding hand. The present educational conventions fade from our minds; and unhampered by tradition, we work our own good will upon a grateful and responsive rural folk. We shall not try to make these people or any of their children into philosophers or men of learning or of science. We are not to raise up from among them authors, orators, poets, or men of letters. We shall not search for embryo great artists, painters, musicians. Nor will we cherish even the humbler ambition to raise up from among them lawyers, doctors, preachers, politicians, statesmen, of whom we now have ample supply.”

The above quote sounds like something from one of the public/private school-to-work/tax-exempt foundation partnerships involved in the Reinventing Schools Coalition agenda, as well as other innocuous sounding current-day initiatives that are being implemented across the nation.

dprogram.net...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
things have gone down hill sinces carters creation of the department of education.

stop and think about what this nation accomplished before the department of education we put a man on the moon

we made thinkers now the only thing we do is produce are morons whose only interest is getting on reality tv and have their 15 minutes of fame.

more people know who snookie is that they know who thomas paine or ben franklin was or the nikola teslas of the this country.

its sad to see what this country has become and to see how far we have fallen as a people it is truly disheartening.

the department of education were a means to an end for the control of people people by dumbing them down indeed whats worse too many people welcome that with open arms.

and the director of education is part of the problem you see a problem you dont cry about what it is you fix it and throwing billions of dollars is not a fix.

i see now hope for this country as long as the department of education exists.

edit on 27-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join