It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is unbiased news reporting a thing of the past?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Take a journalism course and you will be taught the basics of news reporting. Who ,what, why, when,and where are to be included in the story, without embellishment and without opinions added. Why is it now if you read any news article watch any news program, read any newspaper we are all forced to read or watch that particular mediums point of view on the story, as reported before FOX is the most obvious but CNN MSNBC and the top three ABC NBC & CBS are all not far behind, it seems since Sept.11 everyone was given carte-blanche to report however they feel like. We are losing more and more ground in this subject, which makes it hard to believe anything you see or read.What used to be called an editorial is now printed as a story. I think this will only get worse before it gets better

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:37 AM
link   
News reporting has always had a "skew" to it - slanted by the views of either the reporter or the news organization.
Back in the Vietnam war there were news reporters & organizations reporting from both a pro-war and an anti-war point of view.

Basically now you have an ever increasing diversity of point of views in the US and so the slants taken by news org.s are more noticeable to a larger spectrum of people.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:42 AM
link   
The networks - CBS, NBC, ABC, CNN, etc. are all NOT news networks,
they are propaganda machines. Same with the newspapers.
New York Times is unashamed about it's slant. Here in Wilmington
the local rag is pathetic.

It's up to people to dig through the garbage presented to them
and find truth. Unfortunately, most people are being spoon fed
and have no energy or desire to go find out what is true. They
are comfortable in their ignorance and being spoon fed.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I had opened a thread earllier where I was looking at the "embedding" of journalists. It seems as though they was reportes to feel safer when they are embedded.
Yep i think its on its way out, helped by the bouncer

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Is unbiased news reporting a thing of the past?

Yes.

Plain and simple.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
I have to agree with FlyrerFan here. I am sooo tired of all the highly slanted "news reporting" that is being aired "and printed".
I will give you an example:
About 10 years ago, I was living in Abilene, TX and was working in a store that catered to the "south side of town" that sold T-shirts from NORMAL (National Organisation For the Legalization of Marijuana). They were fairly large sellers.
One of the shirt's stated "Legalize today Get High Tonight"
Well, One day two people came in the store and purchased one of these shirts. I recognized one of them as being the "weatherman" and complimented him on his work.
Three days later, they returned with news cameras rolling wanting interviews as to why we were selling these shirts.
The owners told them to leave. They informed the owners of the store that they would but they would be filming his store from across the parking lot (which is legal) and they would say what they wanted.
I spoke with the owner and he agreed to have me interviewed but not in his store. One note, Since the owner was "throwing the reports out of the store" the reporters were not allowed to make any purchases. This was to get them out and keep them from detracting from his buissness.
I answered the reporters questions, Informing them that event he shirt they had purchased the other day were entirely legal and were not promoting anything illegal or immoral. I even brought up the subject that we had (at that time) a president who had "tried MJ but had not inhaled".
That evening, I watched the news report and boy was it ever slanted!
Come to find out that the news stations "favorite counsilwoman" was using the T-shirts as a platform at getting reelected. The news reporters had censored my interview with them to the extent that it was skewed to show that I had no regard to the law etc but was only there to make money. They also showed a shot of the store and the voice over stated that they had been refused to be entrance into the store and that they were not able to make any purchases. Funny thing was, the shirt that they had displayed in the beginning of the report and again at the end, was the shirt that I sold them.
I called up the news station the other day and inform them that they had better make the necessary correction to their report or I would have them in court. I also informed them that if they had been smart and been forth comming with the reasoning behind their interview, I would have welcomed the chance to debate their councilwoman.
three days later at the end of their late night news, they mentions (very quicky that they had purchased the shirt from "one of the stores in question". I guess that was their way of getting around the law.
They never did address anything else.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:02 AM
link   
There is one main driving factor in all of the media that keeps things slanted, interesting, and entertaining. This is the drive to profit. Nearly all newspapers and news channels are corporate entities which need to please their shareholders with the increase of stock value. The result: Entertainment and slant is put at a greater priority than accuracy and unbias.

A solution? An organization that isn't required to make great profits or show growth. I think that a national "non-profit" news organization would deter alot of this and keep the other networks and organizations in-line; they would have to keep up with the real news.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:07 AM
link   
I doubt a non profit new agency will ever happen, but it sure would be a refreshing change to see the news ,and only the news reported!

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
People don't want unbiased news. I mean, if you listen to some people on ATS, every major news oranization, except Fox, is 'liberal' and lies. Only places like Newsmax or Drudge tells the truth.

Just because the news doesn't support your views, doesn't necessarily mean that the news is wrong. Maybe your views are. I'm sure members of the Hollow Earth Society thinks all media is biased! Some people are so far right, that the center, unbiased, appears to be biased.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Newguy lurker here . . . I spent eight years working in print journalism (in Canada) and I can honestly say that there is no such thing as unbiased reporting.

Inasmuch as an assignment editor can send you out to cover a story and a copy editor can change the slant of your story based on their editing and headline writing, nothing bends the story in a direction more than the questions asked by the actual reporter.

The good ones will ask a balance and range of questions that will elicit more even responses from the subject of the interviews used to make up the story and the two-bit hucksters will deliberately slant it through their one-sided line of questioning.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
I don't agree with Curme on this one- I think most people would love to see unbiased news, instead of having to sift through everything to try to find the truth behind the "news".

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme
People don't want unbiased news. I mean, if you listen to some people on ATS, every major news oranization, except Fox, is 'liberal' and lies. Only places like Newsmax or Drudge tells the truth.

Just because the news doesn't support your views, doesn't necessarily mean that the news is wrong. Maybe your views are. I'm sure members of the Hollow Earth Society thinks all media is biased! Some people are so far right, that the center, unbiased, appears to be biased.

And liberals don't have this problem? Give me a break! The fact is that most media outlets have a slight to moderate liberal take on most subjects (this would include the washington post, new york times, boston globe ect ect, and alphabet soup AKA NBC, ABC, CBS) and the few conservative news outlets (read FOX and political talk radio) have the same bias.

Don't try to make it out like all conservatives are crazy hardliners and liberals are simply living in reality because it is far from the case, and we all know it.

new topics

top topics

join