It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I am a Scientist.

page: 22
<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

I have my doubts as to your credentials...my experience has been that Amongst non-particle physicists there is a somewhat agnostic attitude on the subject, not belief one way or the other.

Outside the theoretical particle physics community the standard for belief amongst physicists is experimental evidence. Since there is little such evidence for or against string theory, there is no basis for belief, I'm afraid...No decent Scientist would speak in such absolutes as you do. Especially considering that String theory quite clearly IS controversial, and has been so for quite some time. Since there is very little that can be done in the way of actual experimentation. It remains nothing more than a mathematical model...and as any decent scientist knows, such models can be used but they are just that..They are the map, and not the territory...and because of this the map can be quite different that the reality. Quite often in the ancient world Astrolabes were created with an amazing amount of sophistication.....AND had a truly amazing ability at calculating future astronomical events...the only problem was these devices were built on a completely fictitious mathmatical model. They were made with the Earth as the center of the Solar System. This is just one example of an amazingly elegant creative way in which such mathmatical models can be made to be predictive, and yet have hardly any real ability to describe the actual nature of the physical world around us. It was a faulty map, that still got you where you were going, in other words.....This is exactly how many physicists feel about String Theory....

Also I don't think I've ever met any true scientists who imagined they understood the entirety of any field to such a degree as to declare that there could be nothing they don't know, or understand (which seems to be your attitude when you suggest that there is no 'secret' technology). I wouldn't say such a thing if you simply said, that you didn't BELIEVE that there was any such technology (I'm pretty skeptical about most of the things I read here on this site...and like you am greatly amused at times).....but you say it with an authority that no single scientist in the world could ever achieve...as if you have perfect knowledge of every science!
Personally I find that VERY amusing!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moduli
or about how the government's technology is years/decades/centuries/millennia beyond normal technology (it's not).

What kind of security clearance do you have to make such a statement?

There's nothing conspiratorial about the fact that the government does develop and closely guards their own technology. If this weren't the case, then they would be giving public tours of facilities like Area 51 instead of cordoning them off with hundreds of miles of desert, monitoring equipment, and heavily armed personnel. Unless you're on the payroll, then you can say with no more certainty than anyone else on this message board how advanced their technology really is.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

my question happens to be outside of your field of expertise, but im gonna ask it anyway. so here goes my friend. what the heck is a tptb? lol! ive been lurking here and occasionally comment, but i just cant get the acronym to fit anything i can think of... thanx brother!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by notalemming

TPTB = The powers that be.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thektotheg
reply to post by notalemming

TPTB = The powers that be.

And its a fancy way to say "them" or "they" when people say tptb want to bs themselves thinking they referring to "something" or "someone"

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
My wife is a Scientist...

Our friends are Scientist's...

They are way too busy to play games.

Just Saying...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Welcome,

Is Rossi's Energy-Catalyzer (E-Cat) Low-Energy Nuclear Reaction Device a scam?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Moduli,
Welcome to ATS. String theory? My youngest son is majoring in mathematics and he's been studying 'manifolds'
and he tried explaining it to me and told me it helps explain what's happening on the quantum level in physics. He lost me really fast when I asked him how is it applied to real world problems. He more or less told me that it's used in developing physical theories and to prevent a cranial meltdown, I left it at that.

We were playing chess a couple of summers ago and we were talking about bosons, mesons leptons, etc.(I just read magazine articles and never had studied in depth about them, so I was asking him all the questions) and he told me about a theory that all matter is made of strings or something to that extent. Anyhow, he's studying things that the average person wouldn't have the slightest interest in and I'm sure he'll enjoy reading some of your posts. I'll forward ATS to him and see what he thinks(he's pretty busy).

He has these people list as who inspire him on his FB page.

Évariste Galois, James Blunt, William James Sidis, Richard Feynman and Terence Tao.

Ever heard of them?

Take it easy and will holler at ya later.

edit on 26/6/11 by Intelearthling because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Well you people are way over me.
I was going to ask simple questions like if Mama Cass Elliot shared half her Ham Sandwhich with Karen Carpenter, would they both be alive today if they ate Turkey,based on the science of both meats?

Or, Does the Science Guy use trick photography like Chris Angel to fool people?

I guess I'm outta my league.

He's answered plenty of questions. And with answers there is alway more questions. THAT I get.

He's probably going home,clocking out after getting shift pay, and hoping too much Nyquil doesn't kick in before He drives home.

I say He earned his pay today.
Great thead.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
I see ATS questions are too hard for the big brainer to answer...Guys I think we have an impostor!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Hi, I am not a scientist (like most of us in ATS), and you perfectly know that. I wonder if your research will help people somehow, like put food on the table, create jobs or cure some illness. Can your investigation be used by militars?

Do you have a video? (LOL).

Please respond with normal words possible to be understood by we mortals.

Also, try some chicken soup and hot tea with lemon for your flu. Grandma's researches indicates are good.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

So I guess you know it all? If you were a scientist, you should know that there is a lot we don't know.

Your arrogance is funny and a dead give away! Your supposed specialty is just a small part of the picture.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

Hi Moduli!

Do you think a gravitational force that is so great could indeed lead to that alternate direction or should i say dimension?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Welcome to ATS.
wow you have a lot of replies to this posting in a short time.
Can you tell me what gravity is?
not what it does
what is its source?
how it attracts things to it?
Can you tell me what magnetism is?

Scientist make you think they know
exactly how some thing works.
to me it seems they just come up with very good essays.
and years later some one comes up
with some thing to disprove it.
Like the universe.
they say it started with a big bang.
and now they are coming up with new ideas.
like the universe is expanding and should have stop’t.
and they seem to be trying to cling to
the idea that are universe has a limit.
and are ability to see! is going past the limit of this.
Radio astronomy!
it seem to me most scientists just make good guesses.
they work to hard and to long.
and go a bit crazy.
and seem a little more than is there.
and they them selves believe what they see.
and it is very hard to refute them.
unless you go in to there hypotheses as
much as they have done them selves.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Moduli

almost had it right...however, the collapse of the wave into a matter behavior came from the photonic interaction...

"photonic" is not a word. Indeed, it's technobabble!

en.wikipedia.org...

The science of photonics includes the generation, emission, transmission, modulation, signal processing, switching, amplification, detection and sensing of light. The term photonics thereby emphasizes that photons are neither particles nor waves — they are different in that they have both particle and wave nature. It covers all technical applications of light over the whole spectrum from ultraviolet over the visible to the near-, mid- and far-infrared. Most applications, however, are in the range of the visible and near infrared light. The term photonics developed as an outgrowth of the first practical semiconductor light emitters invented in the early 1960s and optical fibers developed in the 1970s.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

You have already made a mockery of yourself.. if mainstream (dead) physics had anything to offer you would be spending your time using it to advance civilization rather than supposedly wasting your time here....

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Moduli

How's your nuclear physics?

We could use help on this thread relating to the amount of hot particles people are coming into contact with after the meltdowns in Japan.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I thought that one of the major things to remember when working with quantum physics is that there is no absolutes. If alternate universes exist then there are an infinite amount of universes where the military and the government could have technologies that are advance. Look at Nikola Tesla's inventions. Enough said.

I'll ask a question though, even though I am skeptical about your credentials. Why don't string theorist every talk about harmonics of the universe? Strings vibrating through "space" will create a sound and with sound will be harmonies linking life across the cosmos but it never gets talked about.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

I think I understand that argument. But isn't there a website somewhere containing, for example, a caption that reads along the lines of "this is the such and such equation, familiar to all string theorists." ? Don't get me wrong, I don't have any reason to doubt you more than the OP... ... but that's kind of the problem. Ugh, I wish my math wasn't so weak. Maybe it's time to learn, but where to start and how to keep motivated?
edit on 26-6-2011 by Tearman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by kurifuri
reply to post by FOXMULDER147

I agree. YOU CANT EXPLAIN THAT! THAT MEANS GOD DID IT.

Check and mate, science.

That is the shallowest argument I have heard. Science can't explain where my lost socks go - does that mean God is hiding them?

new topics

top topics

<< 19  20  21    23  24  25 >>

join