It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Look How Clever I Am!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
First, I will post whatever video or picture I want to discuss, with some minimal amount of text:

(Minimal Text Goes Here)

↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓ ↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓↓
edit on 26-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
And then I will reply to my own post, to actually comment on this video!

So everyone can give me TWO stars for this post, instead of just one!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Why does everyone do this? Why does everyone star them twice for it? It's just CHEESY.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
Why does everyone do this? Why does everyone star them twice for it? It's just CHEESY.

You assume everyone does this.

I only star when someone has a really good topic in the first post, and the people who make imo sensible replies and/or ad more information.

But I agree that there are a lot of people posting in their own topics like the way you did.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   

First, I will post whatever video or picture I want to discuss, with some minimal amount of text:

(Minimal Text Goes Here)

Very clever sir! You 1-upped them by starting a thread with 3 posts! I'm impressed! 1 flag and 3 stars for you sir!....just kidding

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

I'm saying "everyone" in more of a hyperbolic sense, not literally.

Just been seeing this more & more, and I make a point to NOT star that second post. It appears to me to just be a cheesy way to double yer stars per thread.

@Disturbed... Hey, wait a minute! You didn't give me ANY??

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
I have no basis to complain as I seldom, or never start topics.

Not much point ranting when the answer is to make more intelligent or better laidout topics.

I have witnessed that when people put alot of effort into a topic post, the trolls try that much harder to play devil's advocate.

Don't always nead that, the devil's advicate I mean, don't know how many jump of the dissagreement wagon just to be "differant". My experience say's quite a few.

effort may be based on expected outcome...

Peace.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   

I cannot answer why anyone would choose to star anything.
What makes a post worthy of a star, is up to each individual.

I am curious of one thing though.
I am wondering if maybe you are making the same wrong assumption that I had previously made. At one time, I too thought that this need for stars may have had something to do with the short OP, immediately followed by the 1st posted reply, by the same person. That was until I posted a 'Breaking News' Thread.

A 'Breaking News' Thread is set up that way. There are odd rules and guidelines that go along with 'Breaking News.' Part of the formula, is that you have a very limited amount of space to use in the OP, but then the 1st reply is automatic. Honestly, I think it is a sloppy mess, and I will not attempt to do it again. Too much trouble.

If this is not what you are talking about. Then I blame my lack of sleep.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
You guys realize that when posting a news thread it will ask you for your comments on the video, as well as linking additional news sources or other info in little boxes, and it'll post it for you in two posts - the first is the news, the second are your comments.

That's just the way it works.

[edit] It seems the poster above me had the same impression I did from this thread, and I'll admit I was wondering why people were doing that too for the longest time until I also posted a Breaking News thread.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Lionhearte because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
AHA!

BrokenCircles & Lionhearte have solved it.

I will watch from now on - it must be breaking news threads. I've never posted there before, so I didn't know.

Stars & applause for you guys. Now I can go back to not being annoyed, or assuming people are star trolls. I feel so much better now.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Schkeptick

There you go. Now you earned a Flag, cuz I like your attitude.

Here. just click this, and look at it. Its just the page that you get, when you are submitting 'Breaking news' www.abovetopsecret.com...

Scroll down to where it says "Your Comments." That's the part that screwed me all up, because I didn't realize that was going to be in an entirely different post, until after I submitted.
Fast Forward to 2 minutes later, and I was sending an 'Alert' asking a Mod to delete the whole thing. Then I started over with a new one.

Hassle, and a headache lol.
I prefer a 'Preview.'

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Wow this bothers you that much the formatting of someones thread? Or the fact they get stars?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   

I was just looking over that whole form on that link that I posted.

At the very bottom of the page. The final guideline or whatever.

Qualtiy: As always, there are more strict expectations of quality authorship and civility within the threads of our Breaking News Forum.

Qualtiy:

↑↑↑↑↑↑↑

This could be referred to as [color=B1FB17]High-Qualtiy Fail

edit on 6/26/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   
The OP would have gotten away with this rant... If it weren't for you meddleing kids!!!

Another mystery solved here at ATS by it's supper sluth gang of members!

....Now back to the aliens and armageddon!

Honestly OP I was wondering the same thing about those posts but I guess I wasn't that perceptive. I will go back to remedial skeptic school and learn to think more laterally.

edit on 26-6-2011 by redzareptile because: I haven't had my coffe yet!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I've never understood why people do that. Another thing that annoys me is why do people need to make a separate post to respond to different people? Why can't you just respond to them all in one post?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MzMorbid

Because the fact that I replied to your post will be found in your replies folder next to your inbox.

If I now decide to reply to someone else in this thread in the same post, they will not know it unless they read through the thread.

See?

On topic: Breaking News is set up this way so people won't do what gets done a lot around here. Minimal posting. No content or viewpoint to go along with the story they are posting.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
@Klassified
I have noticed a few times, usually new members, have tried it this way.

I sometimes do it this↓↓ way. I am sure some have been sloppy. If only doing 2, or sometimes even 3, depending on how much you are actually posting, it can be somewhat organized. Obviously, that is just my opinion. Others, very well, may not see it that way.

I would like to conduct a simple test. I would appreciate your assistance.
You have probably even already completed your part. (If it works anyways.)

I just clicked on your profile, and 4 most recent posts.
I just clicked to 'reply' and copied the URL.
If it works right, then you probably already opened your 'reply inbox,' and noticed 4 from me. Possibly along with a quick thought of
huh?
if so, then for that, I offer my apologies.

reply to post by Klassified
[color=FBB117]Clever!

[color=800080]Congressmen

[color=E66C2C]Typos

[color=57E964]Men, Mother, Boys

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
Thread closed for staff review

new topics