It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't let your eyes fool you

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ghost375

Been looking for where I read about it originally, but it was so many years ago now, and I can't remember the title of the webpage

You might be right, but I do remember the article stating something about the rag doll as being made up of every one you'd ever seen.

Whatever the truth, it's still fascinating to know that we see everything, yet internalise so little.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I often wondered, what if the world of our dreams, where hallucination is more prevalent, should actually be a part of our ordinary vision, and that, there is a kind of "implant" that keeps us within a pre-defined perceptual domain.

I say this because, sometimes, I see through "thier eyes" - and it scares me, the world that "they" live in...
edit on 26-6-2011 by SystemResistor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by confreak

So true. Its all perspective. Not one of us see's things the exact way another person would. Proof that we exist not in uni cent.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:50 PM
link   
That was great. I had to do the building a few times to make sure. Trick is now, how long can you make the building colors stay..

It can be done if you think about it.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
This one still makes me smile and the effect is instant.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:53 PM
link   
Another really interesting perception study was carried out where the researcher asked one group of people to pretend they were home buyers and read a passage, and another group pretend they were burglars and read that same passage.

The passage was:

They go to the home of one of the boys because his mother is never there on Thursdays. The family is well-to-do. They have a find old home, set back from the road, with attractive grounds. Since it is old it has some defects - a leaky roof, a damp and musty basement. Because the family has considerable wealth, they have a lot of valuable possessions - 10 speed bikes, a colour TV set, a rare coin collection.

Typically participants remember information that was relevant to the perspective they took. EG. homebuyer would retain that the home has a leaky roof while a burglar would retain the rare coin collection.

Interestingly enough, when the researcher asked the participant to now pretend to be the opposite perspective (without reading the passage again) they all of a sudden could remember additional details.

We can possibly derive from this that OUR PERSPECTIVE is made up of WHO WE ARE and will differ from other people in real life situations. I can't really say how big the differences can be, but I have noticed some big differences in stories between my friends and I, some parts that I remember with an AHA like moment, others that I know and others that I never happened.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Thanks for sharing these, they were really cool. You know, they say "seeing is believing" but I personally think it's the other way around.

I love this example:

Most adults see something sexy. However, research has shown that when this image is shown to children, they only see dolphins or fish. Sex isn't within their frame of reference and so they are completely blind to what is obvious to the rest of us.

Makes you wonder what us humans are completely blind to that lies beyond our own frame of reference.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You don't see the world the way you want to see it. Your perception is formed from experiences and the way that your brain is uniquely designed to project your consciousness.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Schkeptick
I feel like such an idiot. When the invisible man finally appeared, it made me jump. Can't believe I didn't see it at first.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erowynn

Makes you wonder what us humans are completely blind to that lies beyond our own frame of reference.

That's the most important question, I think. I am almost sure that most of the time we are looking at such different things that we actually don't see them, and those who get a glimpse are called nuts. The answers to our most burning questions can lay bared right in front of our eyes, but we are blind to them.
That's so frustrating!

S&F, by the way.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Justoneman

Random, but it's still MTSU... considering I go there.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Either I don't pay attention, or I'm racist :/ Damn that first picture!!!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by abaraikenshi

Hahaha, I felt exactly the same

OP - Love this thread!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
What a load of rubbish, Firstly it is easy to create optical illusions using photography and digital manipulation, Secondly its not what your "mind see's" or your "eyes" its what the author wants you to see, this is a pretty dumb thread.

www.123opticalillusions.com/

very feeble indeed
edit on 01/24/2011 by Cybertron because: Added info

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
In the first picture the wall has faces on it. It's not racist for your brain to merge the real background face with the pictured background faces.

For some more good trippy perception stuff, check these out:

- www.maniacworld.com...
- illusionsetc.blogspot.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Haha, got the first one after 10 seconds,I got the second one pretty fast too.
The third one is cool,at first i didnt know what i was seeing,then i properly watched it and the black and white photo became colour, very amusing.

CHeers
edit on 27-6-2011 by BillyBoBBizWorth because:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Great post.
Given that, our eyes are imperfect recording devices, and our brains are the interpretative software...how does anybody think this might impact the way science records and interprets 'reality'? Is there really much difference?
The brain is a combination of mega-computor and something which cannot be measured...and there are people who see, hear and feel things outside of this 'logic'. Who's gonna be the judge? Akushla

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

This is a very interesting thread thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. I am in total agreement with you and if you look at many members here on ATS they see one thing and one thing only.

In the video below the video contains some majestic, beautiful scenes of flowers. If you have ever stopped and thought deeply about nature you will see the intricacy of each bud, petal, leaf but how many of us actually stop for long enough to notice this?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
There was a really good episode of BBC Horizon that focused on optical illusions called 'Is Seeing Believing?'.

You can watch the full episode here.

www.youtube.com...

It's well worth a watch.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

The issue I have with this line of thinking is that there could be a dancing software developer in the woods painting the tree-house he just built.

It comes down to brands. Brand yourself one way and you will have a hard time seeing things differently.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join