It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Don't let your eyes fool you

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
It has been a belief of mine that you see the world the way you want to see it. I have a little story that I keep repeating to myself about this perspective and it goes something like this:

- An Artist enters a thick jungle, he says wow, look at the beautiful lavishing colors, look at the beautiful shades, and the blend of colors, how perfect, how wonderful the lighting.

- An Engineer enters a thick jungle, he says wow, look at the magnificent structures which are trees, a powerful structure standing upright refusing to bow down to gravity.

- A Programmer enters a thick jungle, he says wow, look at the magnificent programming, looks at the tree branches and wonders what pseudo random formula has been used, what language has been used. He is inspired.

- A Dancer enters a thick jungle, he says wow, look at the magnificent motion of the tree branches, how the trees are flowing with the wind, how a falling leaf sways like a belly dancer left to right.

At this point I think you understand what I'm trying to push across, now for a test, you can test what you see:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/64524a45605a.jpg[/atsimg]

In the above image, there is an invisible person, first time I saw the image, I didn't see the invisible person, but when you see it, there's nowhere for him to hide, your eyes won't trick you again. You see what you want to see, even though you can see him, you can't.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/ac1cb40d8213.jpg[/atsimg]

There is something seriously wrong with the above image, once again, you see what you want to see, I, like most men will probably see something very rude

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c59dd681930d.gif[/atsimg]

This image is very tricky, look at the black dot, keep looking at it until the time change, then see what you want to see. Tell us what you see, I clearly saw a multi colored image, but I was fooled. This is a very important experiment, it shows how your brain and your eye sight operate, you will definitely wonder.

I have been wondering what reality truly is, or does everyone have their own version of reality, or their own making of it. It bothers me that we still haven't come to a conclusive conclusion after so much elaboration of our surroundings.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by confreak

Thats awesome and yes i did see something very naughty in the 2nd Photo.

Nice Finds.

The last image(s) are mind blowing thankyou for this loved it..>!

edit on 26-6-2011 by TheUniverse because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I feel like such an idiot. When the invisible man finally appeared, it made me jump. Can't believe I didn't see it at first.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:05 AM
link   
We do see conciously what we want to see but our subC sees EVERY thing whether we realize it conciously. It is a scientific fact and is how sublimal advertising works, demonstrated conclusively in the 50's and 60's at places like movie theaters, and it is why there are laws against it. However even with the laws in place, things like advertising and God knows what else, give us subliminal instructions.

Movies can and do use subliminal images of gore and death to make your subC tell your conscience to be afraid. Logic tells me it is used on us constantly. The experiment your trying is just proof that we can be manipulated. Now, which one of those men are considered invisible, the black guy?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Justoneman

Is there any study which states that our subconscious sees everything, I would be interested in reading some extra material on that.

And

Regarding the invisible man, did you see him the first time you were looking lol

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   
This was great. I still couldn't see this invisible man until after I looked for quite some time -- how embarassing.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

I wish I could remember where that info is. I took a class called "Introduction to Mass Communication" At The University of Middle TN (MTSU at the time) in the 80's that was part of the lecture and the prof was showing stats on a Movie house that was using a brief burst of one frame showing food/popcorn/drinks and candy that had sales through the roof. Today, horror films use that tactic to get people's pulse racing. A high pulse rate is one of the things that make you think your getting your money's worth at the movie. On a side note, one of the things that professor showed us was the JFK film made by Mr. Zapruder that conclusively proved to me that it WAS a shot from the grassy knoll that killed Kennedy.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by confreak
Regarding the invisible man, did you see him the first time you were looking lol

That is a little more than just a trick of the eyes though.
That is also a trick question (a trick of the mind).

Honestly, I first started looking at the walls. I still do not know what is on the wall in the back.

Then once my eyes, started looking at people, his was the fourth face that I saw.
Based on location and since the view of his face is partially obstructed, looking at his 4th is the logical order. That is unless I am completely wrong on that and there actually is an 'invisible' person that I have not yet seen.

ETA: I will add that I was scrolling slowly, and was looking at the back wall, before I even read what was written underneath the image. I noticed that after looking at it again.

That very well could have been an important factor that the slow scroll, caused me to miss.
Too late now. Like you said, "He can't hide anymore."
edit on 6/26/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Actually it is not eyes - it is the mind that is tricking itself. Eyes perform their function but their are not in charge of dealing with the information they gather.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
That last image is definitely something I haven't seen before!

I found that if I kept my eyes on the dot, the color would stay until I moved my eyes. I love optical illusions and that one definitely blew my mind.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Actually it is not eyes - it is the mind that is tricking itself. Eyes perform their function but their are not in charge of dealing with the information they gather.

By "mind" do you mean the "brain"?

That's where my confusion lies.

What forms the different realities? Is it what we want to see, since in a jungle all the information comes in, but we choose what we want to see, for example the artists sees the colors and gets a WOW out of it, but the colors are seen by the Engineer also, but the Engineer is more focused on the design of the structures around him.

who is "we", who am "I". Is it my brain that picks and chooses what information is important, or does my mind take all the information in, holds it, but another functions picks and chooses what is important.

edit on 26-6-2011 by confreak because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

I am not the most qualified person to answer this. Cognition is a very tough field and i really do not know much.
The way i understand it - again this is only my subjective opinion without serious background in the area -
Our mind is combination of:
changing and self-regulating "hardware" - neural pathways, blood vessels,glands and how it all functions together and how software influences it;
changing and self-regulating "software" - experiences,memories,knowledge and ctr and how our hardware influences it.
(I also believe that there is a soul - combination of good vs bad choices we made in previous lives, but this is not relevant).
This is certainly not a perfect analogy but an approximation.
Our hardware works on the same principals and has the same general design/architecture so vast majority of us will make the same error in processing the information from third picture in your examples.
But in second picture majority of males will see something and lots of females might not. Because general hardware and software are slightly different by design.
Then take into consideration that we as persons are different,no one is a like. Even perfect twins have their own small behavioral differences.
So person with certain part of brain larger/more effective and certain gland producing more of certain hormones
and with different experience/memories will process certain information differently then individual with different, ehmm,setup.
Edit:
Also, i forgot to add that what we consider final "me"/"you" -is a compilation of multitude of processes and pathways that learned to work together.
edit on 26-6-2011 by ZeroKnowledge because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I saw the invisible man right away.

The second image made me lmao.

The third one was awesome.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Haha! That's amazed me a little! Have you any more examples?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

I'm not sure if you'll be interested but I find this stuff facinating and Derren Brown plays with this kind of thing I'm going to try and put a link to a video but please forgive me if it docent work and enjoy if it does

m.youtube.com...#/watch?v=4-HxtKgKrL8

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Great post op !

First image, yeah it took a while lol

Second one, I hadn't even finished srolling throught the image before I got it.

Third image was the real struggle, eventually for abut a second I think I could see the wall to the right was like a reddish in colour ? Can anyone confirm this for me, as it was really hard, the wall to the left was white (I think) ?

I read something years ago that we see everything in our field of vision at any given time, and that apparently our imagination uses the imagery we have been exposed to for visualisation, and imagination. For example ....

Imagine a rag doll........

Well, have you imagined one yet ?

Come on, I'm not giving you the punchline til you do !

Ok the rag doll that is imagined, is actually a mosaic of images of rag dolls that you have seen in your life, apparently

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I never knew a neck could look like a ^@&!^@.
There's a flower picture that does the same thing. I saw it in a psych course.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Very impressive. Shows why relying soley on the eyes is a mistake. Relying on ones "gut sense" as well as smell, touch, taste, sound and common sense in addition to the eyes will probably give one a better sense of something.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
You will want to look into Cognition Psychology specifically Perception.

There are many different perceptual tricks that take advantage of functions within the mind that actually help us in most situations. As for the picture with the "invisible man," for the most part that is just a function of foreground/background where the man is part of the background, the area your mind ignores at first sight, just another perceptual trick, you could probably do the same with some creepy face.

Reality is 100% interpreted in the mind and many take what they interpret as the truth. This results in arguing about stupid things such as religion, politics etc etc. (Don't get me wrong, religion and politics are important however ARGUING about either is pretty ridiculous unless you are a fascist or scientologist or comparable.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by solargeddon

It'll either create an image that is an average of the ones you've seen. or you might imagine a specific one that you've seen before. It depends on the person/situation, and it's pretty hard to confirm scientifically.
I, for example, thought of a raggedy anne doll, not an average.

<<   2  3 >>

join