It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

List of "best space shuttle weird stories"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
In honor of the end of the shuttle program i'm going to do an overview
story on the weirdest space shuttle myths -- press and folklore stories
that were just bizarre. What are some favorites? Mine include:

Astronauts encountered angels....

'Columbia' was brought down by a bolt of space lightning...

STS-8 (1983) was coordinated with a deliberate spy mission of the KAL-007 airliner...

Shuttles were in orbit during all major earthquakes of the 1980s ("Conspiracy Theory" movie)....

...and others. Any favorites you can share?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Which astronauts said they encountered angels?

Why was STS-8 coordinated with the spy mission?

Never knew that about Columbia (I thought it was launch debris?), or the earthquakes.
ETA: will you please explain what you mean about Columbia?

---------------------------

My favorite is probably John Glenn seeing the "sparks" - especially after I had wondered about it for years after seeing The Right Stuff, and then saw a plausible explanation here on ATS (at long last!).
edit on 26-6-2011 by Schkeptick because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
The Deep Purple song "Contact Lost" on their 2003 album Bananas was dedicated to, and written for, the astronauts whose lives were lost in the 2003 shuttle disaster. Astronaut Kalpana Chawla, one of the victims of the crash, took three CDs into space with her, two of which were Deep Purple albums (Machine Head and Purpendicular). Both CDs survived both the shuttle destruction and the 39-mile plunge.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
French synthesizer musician Jean Michel Jarre produced a CD called "Rendezvous" that had a connection to the space shuttle programme:

From Wikipedia:

"Jarre worked with several Houston-based astronauts including Bruce McCandless II, and former Jazz musician Ronald McNair, who was to have played the saxophone on "Rendez-Vous VI", recorded in the weightless environment of space. McNair was to have performed at the concert over a live link, but was killed in the Space Shuttle Challenger disaster on 28 January 1986. Immediately following the accident consideration was given to the cancellation of the concert, but Jarre was contacted by McCandless and urged to proceed, and to mark the event as a tribute to the crew of the Shuttle mission. Following the Challenger disaster, the piece was recorded by Kirk Whalum and retitled "Ron's Piece".[3]

"I remember just before take-off, Ron calling me in Paris saying "Everything's ready, see you in a week's time, watch me on television for the take-off" ... I will really, keep always, the bit of Ron's smile and Ron's face in my heart. ”
—Jean Michel Jarre"

---Maybe not a weird story but kind of a bittersweet one.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JimOberg

Okay Jim, it has been six hours since you advertised. Strumming my fingers beside the keyboard waiting for the neat stuff. And of course, posting this just so it will show up in my "My ATS" when you do post it!

----
Thoughts about the shuttle tragedies from the others post:

I "heard" the Colombia break-up. Of course it was too high for there to have been sound reaching me when and from where it did. At the time I lived just east of the start of what would become the debris field. What I heard (or so I have theorized)-- rattling windows and shaking the ground-- were multiple overlapping sonic booms from debris much lower in altitude than the main portion. I went outside looking for a ball of fire on the horizon-- suspecting a jetliner had crashed nearby. All I saw was a really large and strange contrail with a plume in the midst of it. Such a very sad memory, but an important one for me.

edit on 26-6-2011 by Frira because: Little correction, short addition

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Oberg,
Don't leave us hanging brother. Where do we find these stories ?
Links, or they didn't happen

I'm sure we are all waiting in anticipation.
Noro.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Noromyxo

You find these stories on pseudo-science forums meant to deceive people that don't do real research, you know, the kind of research that could land you real employment?

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
What's the point of this Oberg?
What's a "ex" NASA guy doing lurking in the shadows of a conspiracy forum starting threads with titles like, "Best space shuttle weird story"?

Oh well might aswell throw in my favourite, "Best space shuttle weird story".
Mine is the ice crystals myth!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Had a guy who worked with us for a while and while in college they built a test that was on the Challenger.About 3 years afterwards he got a letter from NASA letting him know that his test had nothing to do with the disaster. Kinda wierd

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
reply to post by ReconX

You mean there is no frozen ice in space? What happens to the water that space vehicles eject into space? Does it not freeze? Not heard of that? Need links? Would you like Telescopic photos from the Apollo missions from independent telescopes throughout the world that photographed the Apollo missions with their technology from right here on earth when the spacecraft's were well beyond LEO? I can post that for you.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by ReconX

You mean there is no frozen ice in space? What happens to the water that space vehicles eject into space? Does it not freeze? Not heard of that? Need links? Would you like Telescopic photos from the Apollo missions from independent telescopes throughout the world that photographed the Apollo missions with their technology from right here on earth when the spacecraft's were well beyond LEO? I can post that for you.

Calm down…….. breath…….. in through your nose…….. and out through your mouth.

Obviously ice exists in space, my reference to ice crystals is to ice crystals of the Oberg kind!

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by JimOberg
In honor of the end of the shuttle program i'm going to do an overview
story on the weirdest space shuttle myths -- press and folklore stories
that were just bizarre.

How about ....... "no space shuttle astronaut ever saw a UFO".

That's a pretty good myth

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Here are some others from SNOPES:

Explosion of space shuttle

www.snopes.com...

cracks in wing
www.snopes.com...

Last words of challenger crew
www.snopes.com...

NASA space sex research plan
www.snopes.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Oh, yeah, the myth of astronauts encountered alien spacecraft is certainly one of the most widespread popular delusions of our generation, but it needs more detailed treatment elsewhere. The main underlying principle of that myth is that the less one knows about real spaceflight (or the more misinformnation one believes), the greater the enthusiasm for the UFO explanations of all those undeniably unearthly videos.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

what? they're myths because you say so Jim? what a lackluster OP. No links, no examples of why, no nothing. jeeze, then you wonder why there's all this forum hostility towards you.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by optimus primal

what? they're myths because you say so Jim? what a lackluster OP. No links, no examples of why, no nothing. jeeze, then you wonder why there's all this forum hostility towards you.

There's another forum about UFOs where dozens of threads address specific claims with long lists of links. That's where the site hosts prefer such discussions to take place and you're welcome to come over and visit, see my links, and see if you can respond to my arguments. Y'all come on in.

This thread is a broadcast request for people's favorite weird stories about shuttles, so when I write my article about it, I don't leave any of the main ones out. When the article is written, i'll post a link here.
edit on 27-6-2011 by JimOberg because: explanation added --

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
I don't know if this qualifies as "weird" enough, but it's my understanding that debris from Challenger continued to wash up on shore at the cape for years after the accident, and pieces are still found once in a while after a major storm blows through. An uncle of mine who made his living lobstering off the coast claims to have seen parts of Challenger on the ocean floor (long after the accident), I was never sure if that part was one of his tall tales though. While on the subject of submerged rocket debris, do you happen to know if there are any plans to recover debris from any of the spent S-1C stages?

As for completely weird shuttle stories, this one takes the cake in my book:
www.textfiles.com...
Apparently STS-1 was a disaster and killed John Young and Bob Crippen. You thought they were still alive? No, they died 30 years ago and were replaced by replicants after Columbia was destroyed by the Russians... lol.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

When the article is written, i'll post a link here.

Tease!

I am stumped on the angel one. How about a hint?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

Tease!

The angels were seen by cosmonauts on Soyuz not by astronauts on the shuttle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by peter vlar

Originally posted by Frira

Tease!

The angels were seen by cosmonauts on Soyuz not by astronauts on the shuttle.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ah! I see. Thank you.

(ten minutes later)

Well, what a terribly disappointing read that was. I really like a good angel story-- that just wasn't one of them!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join