It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Question I'll Probably Regret - Magnetic Levitation, Small Scale

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
All my life I've loved making models of aircraft, ships, tanks etc, & today was looking at whats available for the space shuttle, considering its imminent, & unfortunate end.

I found these products (though not what I wanted) rather inspirational, & I know its not new, but I was curious if someone can help me work it out, maybe give me, or point me to, an idiots guide to DIY this.

Basically, the 2 products for sale are (I assume) magnetic levitation in both cases. Can anyone give me any idea how I could do this, eg, with a model plane ?

To quote the product description "The Levitron® Revolution is also the heavy lifter of the series due to the fact that it can levitate objects as heavy as 12 ounces" (4oz for the latter product).

Now a model plane wont be anywhere near that heavy so I'm sure I could back the power off a bit. I have an excellent (cheap & online) source of any type of magnet, custom made if needed, so thats not a problem. I'm just curious if anyone knows where I can find simple instructions to do this DIY. I know its not as cheap as hanging a model from some fishing line, but this would be cool if I could do it. Thanks all.

www.thespacestore.com...

www.thespacestore.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by SNAFU38

I suggest you go on-line and purchase one of the literally hundreds of cheaper levitating globes you find there.. They come in at least two versions. I recently ordered one for a young family member. It was an 8-inch model for about $30. (Do not assume that a listed store local to you will have the item as advertised on-line. I wasted a trip to two major stores--but not expecting--they would have them on hand. They didn't.)

Then, take apart the globe and experiment with the innards attached to a lightweight model of your craft.

I believe there other relatively cheap versions that suspect items other than the globe, however, it may be that the shape of the globe itself is key to it staying in place.

Anyway, they are a nifty attention-getting device and a great toy for the imagination!
edit on 26-6-2011 by Aliensun because: Adopted response to general locations.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Aliensun

Good (& in hindsight an obvious) suggestion.

I'll have a look around, I expect a lot of trial & error unfortunately.

new topics

join