It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Mayan sites discovered in the Yucatan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:01 AM
link   

Mexican archaeologists have discovered several new Mayan sites as well as an important concentration of pre-Columbian graves in the state of Yucatan, according to a statement by the National Institute of Anthropology and History (INAH).

The remains which include structures, ceramics, lithics and human burials were found in the rural community of Sitpach, five kilometres east of Merida, the state capital. The artefacts date back to the Maya Late Preclassic period (400 BC-200 AD) and the finding of them has resulted in a change in the local chronology for this particular region.

LINK

coordinator of the Merida Region Archaeological Project, said that these finds provide evidence for “earlier, well-organized populations with an elaborate social strata“. Mr Diaz said archaeologists had found architectural structures showing evidence of “intense social and economic development.”

I am not sure if this has been posted yet, I did many searches before posting and came up with nothing so I apologize if this is not a new find.

I love it when they discover new sites in this region, it reminds me that we still have so much to discover and explore. There was so much to the Mayan culture that I believe many discoveries will be made in the future that will be of great significance to archeology.

www.pasthorizons.com...
Pre classic Maya
edit on 26-6-2011 by sir_slide because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Nice find looks like some sort of tomb, amazing we can still find significant archaeological finds, I wonder what else someone may stumble upon in the future (hopefully evidence of aliens)

join