It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is not an offence to abuse police: Officers told not to arrest people who scream obscenities beca

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

It is not an offence to abuse police: Officers told not to arrest people who scream obscenities because courts won't convict

www.dailymail.co.uk

Police have been banned from arresting foul-mouthed yobs who abuse them with the most offensive swear words in the language.

The rule change, which has sparked a revolt in the force and anger among MPs, is revealed in secret advice issued to officers and leaked to The Mail on Sunday.

Scotland Yard has issued a card to its officers, telling them to do nothing if they are subjected to a torrent of obscene abuse.

The card, which the police are told to keep on them, secreted behind their warrant badges, says: ‘The courts do not accept police officers are caused harassment, alarm or dist
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
This is going to be interesting....

A licence to abuse police, or a sensible ruling to save wasted court and police time (and the public)?

I couldn't imagine anything like this being said in the U.S. and I'm sure even looking at an American cop the wrong way could get you arrested.

The latest case of the woman filming the police at a traffic stop comes to mind.

If you ask me, some police deserve the abuse that gets hurled at them and if their poor little egos can't take it then they should get a different job.

Sticks and stones 'n all that....

The article makes interesting reading and I'd be interested to hear your opinions especially from the many non U.K. members here and how things like this get treated in their own country.

www.dailymail.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 26/6/2011 by nerbot because: stuff

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   
I have never been able to charge someone for yelling mean things at me. Why should police be any different?

Police have been banned from arresting foul-mouthed yobs who abuse them with the most offensive swear words in the language.

OK it should be a little scary if a ban had to be put in place to stop police from arresting people for swearing at them. Has that been a punishable offense until now in the UK because that is insane.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Senteri because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

Actually here in the States the US Supreme Court has ruled Officers must have a thick skin. Having some person tossing profanities at us is not a valid reason to arrest. In some places it could be considered disturbing the peace, howver again police cant enfore that based solely the officer. There must be a civilian 3rd party who found the language offensive.

While cussing at Police is annying and makes our job more difficult, I understand people are going to do it for various reasons. However I dont agree with arresting / citing based solely on profane language.

We have to take into account that the person we are dealing with may be having one of the worst days of their lives.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Plus, once certain words are deemed "unlawful" to use towards cops then we need a list of illegal words. Someone gets to decide what goes on that list, how it is managed, etc. None of that sounds good to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Senteri

Plus, once certain words are deemed "unlawful" to use towards cops then we need a list of illegal words. Someone gets to decide what goes on that list, how it is managed, etc. None of that sounds good to me.

Actually I would prefer there be no list of banned words. If we do that then we might as well start burning books and nationalizing media.

I'll take being yelled at by the people I am dealing with rather than take the chance of defining the 1st amendment.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

Originally posted by Senteri

Actually I would prefer there be no list of banned words. If we do that then we might as well start burning books and nationalizing media.

I'll take being yelled at by the people I am dealing with rather than take the chance of defining the 1st amendment.

I hope you did not think I was being disagreeable. I was just carrying what you said that I agreed with to the logical conclusion in my mind. I did not mean to imply you were in support of a list of banned words.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Senteri

Oh my bad man.. We are on the same page.. I was taking it one step further to emphasize where it could go. Political correctness is dangerous.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
This want stop them!

They will arrest you under 'Public Disorder' in most instances or find something else not meaningful to pin on you!

Swearing at them is going to piss them off, so they are going to use their power to piss you off.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
RandallFlagg is right.

This will not stop the Police from arresting you.

There is an old saying in the British Police Service, It's called the "Ways & Means Act".

If you go and shout a barrage of abuse toward an officer they will no longer arrest you under Section 5 of the public order act.
However some but not all will simply arrest you for a more serious offence of their choosing that will carry a higher level of punishment.

Beleive me it is not that difficult and up to you not them to prove that you didn't do what they said.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Most UK police already know this anyway, and swearing at them will just get you a night in the station cells purely to cool off. Any UK police trying to take people to court over it has got to have low self esteem or be on a massive power trip. What I find unusual is the amount of common-sense being issued in the UK at the moment...my spidey-senses are wondering what the catch is.......hmmmmm...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Senteri

Wasn't it Tipper Gore who made up a list? Just pass it on
(I won't give you the list, check out "Startin Up A Posse" by Anthrax)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Can you get arrested for pulling the finger/flipping the bird to cops?
In New Zealand you do.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Hazz-14

Yea, usually you would...especially if its a one-on-one. If its a riot, then probably not. I did once to the police helicopter. It was 1 in the morning and they decided to shine the search beam through my uncurtained kitchen window, so i vixxed them. I did expect a knock on the door, but nothing came of it...invasion of privacy i guess.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:51 AM
link   
It always use to be that way that Police ignorred what are basically only words. Their egos and the quality of officer are what has changed today.

I think its right though because normally most of us don't swear into the face of other people. It happens when people are emotionally upset or furious and that's often when the police come on the scene. I think they need to realise its often not directed at them personally its the situation they are all caught up in.

This should be part of basic training - all for the common good eh.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Wot you mean i can call policemen facist hookers of the state and not get arrested !

No way man these thugs go around killing people execution style and even with video proof they still walk free if it even gets to court (Search YouTube for 'Police execution')

Only good thing i can say is due to the economic crash few policemen will get the pensions they were looking for so it's a pit like the punter not paying for his bit of fun in my mind.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

I'm sure cops will find a way around it somehow....If someone is truly yelling then they can be fined for noise pollution/disturbing the peace, for instance.....I once got a ticket because my car backfired.....once..(which I nor my passenger even heard, and doubted ever happened). Seriously....of course it was thrown out...it was thrown out before it even went to court in fact...I called about it to complain and they put me on hold, and when they came back they told me to forget about it...it was quite odd, I imagine they must have had problems with that officer writing BS tickets recently. ... the nerve of that cop was pretty ridiculous to even try it...I think it was either because I was driving a Mercedes with a large Grateful Dead sticker on the back window, or because I had a Black passenger.....Honestly that's just speculation though.....I really have no idea what was going on in the mind of that officer...perhaps he was having a mental breakdown and was delusional?

Anyway....that was a bit of a digression....sorry 'bout that.
The point I was supposed to be making was that, if a cop doesn't like what you are doing, or saying, it won't take much for him to figure out some crime you are breaking. And in the case of yelling swear words (at anyone, not just cops) I'd probably agree that it's (at the very least) ticket worthy....all according to the circumstances/where you are at the time, of course.........For instance cussing out the umpire at a baseball game isn't so bad....Screaming F* You in a Nursing Home at the top of your lungs is!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by nerbot

The police use section 5 of the public order act to arrest someone for swearing at them but usually only as a last resort when the individual has had several warnings and his/her behaviour is likely to cause a breach of the peace, and it is well deserved imo, I have no doubt some do abuse this, but it is a neccesary law. After arrest it is very rare for it to get to court, they are usually released with a caution or fixed 80 quid fine the next day. They are taken off the street for the night for their own and public in generals protection.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
From a majority perspective most cops are labeled correctly as pigs. They outright abuse their position in society because many feel that by wearing that gun and badge society owes them something. I have no respect for law enforcement (can we even call it that considering things appear to be made up on the spot to accommodate their needs). What's worse is that for the ones that are wrong, and there are many, little action comes as a result which just perpetuates, and rightly so, more hate against them. There have been ample cases to show their abuse of power and this number is growing at an alarming rate. It's to the point where if a cop goes down I smile, they aren't worth the care needed. I say swear away at them, they deserve it.

brill

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Well with all the protests expected this summer plus the state of the economy. I guess the police are going to get it in the neck from their employers (We the people) who will be pissed off the way the police, will protect the govt/rich/banksters.

<<   2  3 >>

join