It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 killed in Amtrak train crash, 28 unaccounted for

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

6 killed in Amtrak train crash, 28 unaccounted for

www.sfgate.com

Six people were killed and 28 remain unaccounted for in the fiery collision of a semi-trailer and an Emeryville-bound Amtrak train in the Nevada desert, officials said late Saturday.

It wasn't until Saturday afternoon that the wreckage was safe enough to allow search teams to enter the burned-out hulks of two passenger cars in the 10-car train that exploded in a fireball on Friday.

A team of 18 investigators from the National Transportation Safety Board is examining the wreckage, but they don't yet have a full explanation of why the crash occurred.

Two other truck drivers watched in
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
"The fire weakened the structure of the cars and they could collapse," Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Dan Lopez said. "The safety of workers is a big thing, and we don't want to put someone else in an unsafe situation."

Q: Why is everything that catches fire made so flimsy nowadays?

The initial findings only deepen the mystery of why the big rig slammed into the California Zephyr at a remote highway crossing about 70 miles east of Reno, shortly before 11:30 a.m. on Friday.

Q: Haven't I seen this before?

www.sfgate.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:14 AM
link   
reply to post by mrno1

It's scary that so many train wrecks and bus accidents are becoming commonplace nowadays, they really need to revamp all of these vehicles and make them more safe for everyone, its pathetic.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
This sounds like the beginning of the movie Super 8.

My condolences to the families of the deceased. Fiery crashes are one of the worst ways to go.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
reply to post by mrno1

Movie Knowing had train accident not sure of the numbers of dead versus injured. Maybe a late birthday present for someone.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Yeah I thought on this story for a minute or so. "Unaccounted for" huh? my conspiracy mind tells me to question how far area 51 is from this crash.

And yes, super 8 is brought to mind.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
it totally amazes me how they make cars today

I worked in an autobody shop for a while (administration)

Most of the newer cars that came in hit were literally bleeding styrofoam

Its no wonder we have to wear seat belts and need 5 airbags these days

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Are you saying older cars were safer?

Not that it matters in this case because it was a truck with a semi trailer hitting a train.

edit on 26/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Yeah, when people laugh at me for driving 20 year old cars, I smile to myself. Up until this year I was driving an 88 Volvo 240. I got rear-ended once while driving this car.. The car behind me was crushed, I didn't even have a scratch.

I'd rather be safe than cool.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
stainless steel which alot of these train cars are made of doesnt melt easily look it up
i think its bs everyone believes these troopers come on now all they have to do is suck
someone off to get the job no education neeeded

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

Are you saying older cars were safer?

Not that it matters in this case because it was a truck with a semi trailer hitting a train.

edit on 26/6/11 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

LOL safer? I don't know about that - especially not going up against a Semi

Better built? I guess its debatable - too bad I wasn't actually fixing the cars I might be able to make the necessary comparisons - all I know is what I saw, and the mounds of paperwork I had to do!

But it was usually the little cars that came in bleeding styrofoam - the bigger older models most of the time just had dents (albeit some big ones) and scrapes or a missing door....side mirror...

Also, on an older model - the only thing that would usually "Total" it, is if the frame was bent
On some of the newer cars (like in the 5 to 20 year old range) they were totaled if just an airbag went off cause they cost so much to replace, anything less than 5 years old though was usually covered (I hesitate to mention any makes or models.. I don't want one of the major car companies having me snuffed)

Vehicles are totaled when the repair value is more than 80% (depending on the area you're in, could be a little lower or higher) of the blue book value

..... I feel like all I'm talking about tonight is cars and insurance companies...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Excuse me but I posted this story and the cover up of the amount dead and missing just a few hours after it happened. www.abovetopsecret.com... I have been working hard to get the behind the scene info for days now as I have people working on the wreck itself. THANKS FOR JOINING IN THERE!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Reno hospital has treated nine patients from Amtrak collision; 28 people remain missing

Read more: www.sacbee.com...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Crossfate

Dream lake is a couple hundred miles to the South-East

new topics

top topics

join