It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Browser Crashes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Not sure if this is the right place or not to post this....just wanted to get some input. I have installed google chrome and firefox on 3 separate computers with 3 different operating systems...XP, Vista and Seven. It seems they crash on every single one of them, each after a fresh install and fresh copy of the browser. Chrome crashes on closing and i've tried everything to fix, and Firefox won't even start. Has anybody had a problem like this, and is it possible Microsoft intentionally causes these browsers to crash so people will use their Internet Explorer, which is more susceptible to adware than any other browser I know of. I have installed firefox and chrome on linux with no problems whatsoever. Just wondering if anybody else has had this problem. I think its safe to assume MS is in bed with uncle sam, perhaps alternative browsers are harder to track.
edit on 26-6-2011 by JonStone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by JonStone

I have used both firefox and chrome. Chrome ran fine usually, but after it began to slow down my entire system...I decided to get rid of it. I have not had any problems with firefox though.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Have you tried using internet explorer? does it crash?

I have actually never had a browser crash on me except on older systems that couldn't handle todays heavy coding

Adware, malware, and spyware typically come prepackaged with something that you download and execute - which is one of the reasons you're not allowed to link to executable programs on this website

I recommend running IE and seeing if it crashes
Then I recommend noting what websites cause it to crash so you can try to figure out the real reason for the crash
then you might try googling "troubleshooting" tips - often its a minor problem
Then I recommend you ask their customer support people - just in case its not a minor problem

I personally don't think MS is in bed with anyone, otherwise they wouldn't have gotten sued.
United States V Microsoft

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Google Chrome is a HORRIBLE browser! I have a big family, and each one has one or the other Windows running on it (Windows XP, Windows 7, etc.) and on each computer there is one problem or another with Google Chrome. My brother & I work with computers, him in a few areas and myself in other areas, so between the 2 of us, there isn't anything we can't fix (not to sound full of ourselves, but to date we haven't had something we could not fix, or pinpoint). With Google Chrome, there is a myriad of problems and conflicts.

Now, Firefox is different, but sucks in other ways. Chrome doesn't drain Private Working Set too much, but Firefox does. And if you have more than 1 Firefox window open, you'll be running 125,000k easily. Now top that with any add ons you have in Firefox and 2 open windows become 250,000k.--now for example, I have 2 open windows in Firefox and 2 add ons and I'm running at 289,000k in Task Manager. Firefox is also notoriously bad at conflicting with other software installed on your computer. It conflicts with a laundry list of software so long even Santa hasn't seen a list this long!

But, with all that in mind (and oh so much I haven't mentioned), I'd take Chrome or Firefox over Internet Explorer ANY DAY!

It's amazing how bad Microsoft's own browser is, I mean with ALL of the vast combined knowledge and experience they have, how many professional programmers they have, you'd think they'd have a little better of a browser, but alas, this is not the case.

My advice is do a little research --which software conflicts, or is known or rumored to conflict with your Operating System, browser, or make or computer, etc. Also, don't add on any browser add ons, or keep them to a bare minimum.

Also, download a free program called C Cleaner. It allows you to see all of the programs that Start Up when you turn on your computer. It also allows you to disable any programs you don't need at Start Up. In all actuality, depending on your system, you only need a handful at Start Up. But before you disable any programs from starting at Start Up, research them to make sure you don't need them at Start Up. Before you do anything, back up, set a Restore Point and all that good stuff.

Good luck! I hope your browsing doesn't turn into snoozing.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

oh yeah I also 100% recommend Ccleaner - you can get it free and I really notice a difference in speed after cleaning up my registry

Good call! * for you! ♥

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Now, Firefox is different, but sucks in other ways. Chrome doesn't drain Private Working Set too much, but Firefox does. And if you have more than 1 Firefox window open, you'll be running 125,000k easily. Now top that with any add ons you have in Firefox and 2 open windows become 250,000k.--now for example, I have 2 open windows in Firefox and 2 add ons and I'm running at 289,000k in Task Manager.
I have about 10 tabs open and around 40 different add-ons, and Firefox is running at about 120,000K, but it fluctuates heavily.

Firefox is also notoriously bad at conflicting with other software installed on your computer. It conflicts with a laundry list of software so long even Santa hasn't seen a list this long!
Can you please link me to that so called list? I would seriously like to know what it conflicts with, because I have a lot of apps installed on my PC, and not one of them conflicts with Firefox.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
IE is like an adware magnet, I only use it when absolutely necessary. Firefox is a bit slow on startup, I like chrome because it loads quickly and seems to use little resources. I googled the crashing on close problem, seems common but none of the proposed solutions have worked.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I use Chrome and every other day I clean the caches and never had a problem with it, you may want to check with your provider I know companies like ATT for instance and Time Warner limit your bandwith, so if that is an issue check with them and see what they can do. I know several times that I have called up ATT and yelled at them, they said it was a bug in their server and cleared it up and was back to normal again.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
I rarely use Chrome (I don't like it), but I use Firefox 4 everyday in Windows 7 without any major problems (sometimes the plugin-container gets stuck at 50% CPU use, but I just kill the process and move on
).

top topics

join