It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Illegal acts cannot be discussed on ATS

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   
I firmly believe there's always been a bias. The sad thing is that it's to conform to the public. ATS boasts it's number of members and it's popularity and then boasts the topic range and how their different but they still bend over and take it up the tail pipe when it comes to completely taking control and discussing important topics such as hallucinogens and ATS taboo.

It's always frustrated me because it's a science. ATS is so worried about it's precious reputation it seems and they don't want to offend anyone too badly but all the other topics offend many. We should have a section for it and those that don't want to take part don't have to.

I made a thread about this pointing out the fallacies and inconsistencies in the defensive argument but after a few flags it disappeared into cyberspace.

edit on 26-6-2011 by Crossfate because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
created a suggestion thread here

asking for a mature or adult board on ats for subjects that otherwise would interfere with ad revenue...aka, risky topics, not for kids or prudes type stuff..

hopefully you lot will weigh in so we can get that on the table for consideration...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   
After reading the thread mentioned, I decided to read the article DontTreadOnMe used as a reference for "illegal activities being discussed."

Zoophilia and the Law

As you can see, it isn't illegal in all states. How can the MOD use this as a base to close a thread when the article plainly says it isn't illegal everywhere?

Also, the OP of that thread plainly stated that he didn't want to do those things, he was only curious why the government should be allowed to restrict his personal choices.

Methinks this is an epic fail on the MOD's part.

Just my .02 though...

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
created a suggestion thread here

asking for a mature or adult board on ats for subjects that otherwise would interfere with ad revenue...aka, risky topics, not for kids or prudes type stuff..

hopefully you lot will weigh in so we can get that on the table for consideration...

Har! he said "no" and closed it

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:57 AM
link   
Whilst I am against the original thread that you referenced, OP, I feel I need to chime in here too. ATS was once a place where discussions such as the one started in the referenced thread would have been intelligently debated with maybe a few trolls or warnings from the mods.

The whole ad revenue changed all of that. Now certain things that could jeopardise the money coming in are almost immediately locked down and it's a lot harder to bring more controversial topics up. I'm inclined to agree with SaturnFX...

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Ahh, but where does it end...mega slippery slope
Lets say tomorrow, some right wing christian conservative organization contacted ATS and offered them a sweet sum for some advertising space, only to request some rather controversial topics not be allowed...
you know...things regarding homosexuals, atheism, any religion bashing, any liberal causes shown in a positive light, any unfriendly discussions about right wing politicians or political partys in general, etc...not all at once, but over time, a bit more being clipped off until it becomes little more than a "family values" page full of spin

This is what worries me. With all the focus sites like ATS give to money or revenue etc, its only a matter of time before this is exploited (if it's already not being) by religious groups, corporations etc.

And then what happens to free speech? Free thought? Open discussion?

I'll tell you what happens. You can kiss it all goodbye.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I'm not a big ranter, I've had one or two .. but this one particularly got me .. the mod closed the topic because illegal activities cannot be discussed.. fine..

So a lot of threads here should be closed.. any topic involving hacking should be closed for example, it's discussing an illegal activity.

There's some CLEAR bias here.. anyone care to explain?

I found the whole the hilarious to be honest this thread included
very entertaining

-Bob

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by B.Morrison

LOL agree - its funny
I really miss the "You must post off topic" thread - that one got deleted completely

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
The original post was BEYOND weird, but...

I agree with OP here. The thread isn't called, "how to convince your sister incest is okay". It's asking for open debate about a commonly held belief. Isn't that what ATS is about?

It's not a post I would comment on, because honestly I'm beyond words on that subject
- but I think it's interesting that he called for open debate on it. He's, um, a thinker, that's for sure.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Oh my apologies. I just realized that you are his only supporter not the op. So then why dont you get eachothers numbers and you can discuss all the immoralities you like with eachother

I bet you don't have enough brains in that head of yours to properly logic your way through an episode of Blue's Clues.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
reply to post by AllUrChips

I'm hardly a supporter, I disagree with the topic, but I think he has a right to ask it ..

so, you are a supporter? hardly isn't = to against. and you either support, or you're against.. or don't care, but you already proved you do care.. hey... if you want to do that... just keep your mouth shut.. the second you open up and try to condone such actions, well... you're going to be seen as a witch.. thats the way it is..

this isn't a revolution worth fighting..

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
You are all depraved and sick in the head if that's the kind of topics you want to discuss. Most "normal" people don't need to ask why, they know why already. If you don't then you are a danger to society.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
their biased, they constantly erase remove or delete my comments, saying off topic when they have been entirely on topic.

what a joke

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
their biased, they constantly erase remove or delete my comments, saying off topic when they have been entirely on topic.

what a joke

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Soldier of God
You are all depraved and sick in the head if that's the kind of topics you want to discuss. Most "normal" people don't need to ask why, they know why already. If you don't then you are a danger to society.

The topic being discussed isn't the issue here. As Schkeptick said:

It's asking for open debate about a commonly held belief. Isn't that what ATS is about?
The issue here is that ATS is a platform for open and intellectual debate on subjects which range from the banal to the highly controversial. The TOS is full of conditions which help encourage user content of high quality and posts full of tasty, intellectual arguments. The fact that some topics are considered too controversial isn't really a good thing. 'Too controversial' is a subjective term with a very fluid definition, which is too easily affected by money.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by JackofBlades

As hard as it is for all of you to believe people create websites as a source of income. Discussing morally depraved subjects most likely isn't good for the bottom line hence frowned upon. However no one is stopping any of you from starting your own website/forum where like minded individuals can freely discuss any and all topics to their hearts content.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I saw the illegal acts message and knew it was an epic fail.

Most of the things we discuss here at ATS are illegal.

I would say tho thread in question was stupid and inappropriate.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Soldier of God

ATS wasn't created to be a source of income. That came later. The original aim of ATS was to 'Deny Ignorance.' It says it up there in the top left corner under the logo.
Probably should have a sub-heading, 'But not at the expense of money kthx.'
Don't get me wrong, ATS is still a very good site to be a part of. For example, this discussion is being allowed to continue which in itself shows that the administration isn't exactly the Overwatch yet (or maybe its slipped through the net so far
), but I still feel that, given the fact ATS is a platform for the controversial, there should be a little more tolerance when it comes to certain topics.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You want to talk about kiddie fiddling and raping animals on here.....wtf is wrong with you???

I fully understand why your thread was closed....oh sorry not your thread just the one you liked enough that you opened a thread to ask the owners if they would allow you to discuss this filth.

Everyone who condones this needs banning!!! No doubt you all dabble in some of these things...hence you want to talk about them! SICKOS!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
I know what you mean. It may have something to do with the CIA and government type people keeping tabs on this site.

For example, there's some type of facility that someone or 'someones' important doesn't like so they send the health department to inspect it regularly. The health department looks for any little excuse to have that facility shut down.

I put up an informative thread about something that had to do with the war on drugs, I don't believe it technically broke any ats rules but one or two users commented on it and left tiny somewhat inconspicuous hints that they partook in a certain drug and it got shut down. I guess you've just got to accept the rules or go somewhere else.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by MachiventaMelchizedek

what a joke

Yeah, I do think maybe SOME of the staff is pretty biased.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join