It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

He's not the dad, but still has to pay

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

He's not the dad, but still has to pay

www.cnn.com

A Texas man says he's a victim of mistaken paternity and shouldn't have to pay support for a child that isn't his.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I don't understand why this man still has to pay child support on a baby that is not his, as proved by a DNA test. He's still ordered to pay the back child support.

I think they refuse to hear him out, because the government needs the money so badly, they'd even screw over an innocent citizen.

www.cnn.com
www.khou.com...
(visit the link for the full news article)

Embedded the video...

edit on 6/25/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

edit on Sat Jun 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: link to article added

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

People have gone to Jail over things like this. Totally ruin a individual who had nothing to do with the Childs birth. And they still expect money? WOW!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
This does not surprise me..

This is how these things work in Cali-
Woman gets pregnant-- reports it- they ask who the father is. ALL the woman then has to do is provide the LAST KNOWN ADDRESS of the 'father' and they send a letter to inform him.

The 'dad' has- I think its 3 months- to respond and accept or challenge the claim- if he does not, he is deemed the father. The really absurd part is it does not matter if the man never even got the letter informing him. Even if he moved, does not matter. Of course, not all women do this, I am sure the majority at least tell the man they are pregnant.. but you have other cases like this that happen.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
I've heard of this happening before and it is WRONG!
A man should not have to pay child support for a child that isn't his, unless he has adopted it.
If a woman is grown up enough to make a baby and doesn't know ---"who"---- the father is, then she needs to pull up her big girl panties and support it herself. (BTW, I am a woman)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
He has no obligation to pay. Not even one percent. Id say that he needs to move to a different state and sue her for damages and recoup his money back. Each and every single penny.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

That he should.

Amazing he is still expected to pay when it's obviously a case of fraud.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:07 PM
link   
This is documented to be very common unfortunately.
The time allowed to appeal the legitimacy of the child is different from state to state and from countries.
Its rarely over 12 months, wich is ridiculous but things are slowly changing.
Anyway, should be at least 3 years

www.timesonline.co.uk...

The growth in genetic checks reveals that 1 in 25 men are bringing up children they mistakenly believe are their own. Finding out the truth can be devastating

edit on 25-6-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2011 by eagleeye2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by eagleeye2

The guy thought 100% the kid was his, until he noticed the kid started looking less and less like him... even developing red hair. That's when he suspected the kid wasn't his. There should be NO limit on the amount of time allowed to challenge the legitimacy of the children, because 2, 8, even 15 years down the line something could happen to raise suspicions.

The guy should be refunded every penny he paid. It's ridiculous that the judge wont even consider the DNA results as evidence. I'd take that crap all the way to the supreme court.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Every child support application should come with a DNA mandatory report; that should fix it.....except in cases where adoption and IVF have been involved.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
I wonder if our current and/or potential POTUS would be able to FIX this issue; then maybe he/she/it could have my vote. The dad is not supposed to pay child support to someone else's child/ren. However, all males in this pickle (hehe) could "challenge" the system by having a mandatory paternity test as a prequesite to paying aliMONEY, if any.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
I recieved a letter from child support, see if you can find the idiocy

Dear so and so,
We have recieved a report that you child's father is deceased. We are closing the case based on these facts. If this should change, please contact our office to re-open the case.
Sincerly, who ever.

Child support seriously needs an overhaul, just like everything else here.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
From what I understand, in Texas there is an 1800's law that makes this legal even if the kid isn't yours. In 1999, Texas changed a few things. Basically, if you sign the acknowledgement of Paternity form you become the legal parent even if the kid isn't yours.

A law that became effective on September 1, 1999, states that if the father and mother have signed the AOP, the biological father becomes the legal father.
(link below)

Time frame to file suit.

Either parent has 60 days from the time the AOP is filed at the Bureau of Vital statistics to rescind the acknowledgment and remove the father’s name from the birth certificate. One of the parents must file a Petition to Rescind with the court. Even after 60 days, one of the parents may file a motion to challenge the AOP, but will be required to prove fraud, duress, or mistake of fact. Any such suit must be filed within four years of the AOP being filed with the Bureau of Vital Statistics. Minor parents have four years from the date they become an adult (emancipate) to challenge the AOP.

www.oag.state.tx.us...

Tried to read article but got video about bear versus cruiser.

Came across a new law I hadn't realized had passed.

Texas has a new law, Texas SB785, which permits men who have been ordered to pay child support, without genetic testing, to request genetic testing in order to determine whether they are the genetic parent of the child. But the clock is ticking. If you suspect that you are paying child support for a child who is not your biological child, you must file the petition before September 1, 2012.

www.fathersrightsdallas.com...

edit on 25-6-2011 by jam321 because: extra info

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321
Tried to read article but got video about bear versus cruiser.

My bad, should have linked to an actual article rather than just a new video.

Here is a link to a news article about it.
edit on 6/25/2011 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
I'm so glad I'm from the UK because a £300 DNA test once saved me from 18 years of paying child support to a woman who similarly lied and cheated

The Child Support Agency here can also assume parentage in certain circumstances:

they were married to the child's mother at any time between the conception and the birth of the child
they refuse to take a DNA test
they are named as a parent on the child's birth certificate.

...but at any time afterwards, a DNA test will always settle any disputes.
www.csa.gov.uk...

What a horrible situation for the guy concerned, conned by the mother then let down by legislation.
I hope there's an appeal option available for him to reach a more sensible conclusion than this.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Welcome to the dream liberal utopia were everybody pays a share,whether its a fair share or not...or even if its YOUR share...unless you are a pelosi or a dean or a fonda...then you do what you want

new topics

top topics

join