It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Marriage Is One Huge Language Barrier...And I Love it!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by galadofwarthethird
reply to post by jude11

Well, without a pause Soo chirps up and says “ Fine, I have learned to talk almost like a Westerner”. Mom asks what her favorite words were. Soo looks at her and says “The same as my husband and his friends SH##, PI$$, MF’er, G-damn, A$$#ole...” Stunned silence all around. Even I had never heard these words from my wife as she was always nervous about using them in the wrong context but she had no idea how out of context this was! Mom turns around, she turns red, slaps me upside the head

Oh man that's funny just picturing it. And I can kind-of relate a little since when my family moved here to the US when I was 10 yr's old, the first words I learned from the kids I used to hang around with were the swear words.

I even learned the swear words before I knew what they really meant, and didn't know they were "bad words" till a little while latter. Since some people I hanged around with used them like every other sentence I just thought it was pretty normal language usage.

Anyways sounds like you have a interesting and happy marriage, hope it will always be so.

Peace out.

It seems that happens as a rule. When I was learning Korean, the first thing I learned were all the bad words. More fun that way. But I knew what I was learning!

But my wife had no idea that these were indeed curse words. She thought it was slang and that everyone used them in normal day-to-day conversation. Even poor old mom. lol

Thanks

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Your lucky to have only that language barrier otherwise if you didn't, she wouldn't need you anymore. Your in america right? If you brought your wife to america and she new how to speak english, you more than likely to have seen her go bye bye see you. She would probably divorce you in a matter of a few years if you can hold onto her for that long. American women are chits. You should never bring a flower to the desert. Your flower was blossoming and innocent in South Korea. Here everything is dead when it comes to relationships and families. America is truly the desert of death for families and relationships. Again how dare you bring that flower to the desert!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by chrhenn3265
America is truly the desert of death for families and relationship

What's with all the negativity, here is a man sharing his happiness, yet all you want is doom and gloom.

If he is clearly telling you that he is with her, and they are still happy, then does this not debunk you're idea of how relationships are awful?

It's doesn't seem like America is the desert of families and relationships, the answer would probably be closer to you.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by jude11

Originally posted by freedish

Originally posted by jude11
Mom turns around, she turns red, slaps me upside the head (I’m 43 at the time) and starts to laugh. She understood the situation but poor Soo didn’t. She remained confused until we explained that these words were not acceptable when meeting the little old lady I call mom.

hahha so funny

This one is still my favorite and my mom's as well! She has a great sense of humor and that was the moment she knew that she loved my wife as her daughter in-law.

Thanks

Your wife seems very innocent in a cute way. I think you married a great woman.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   
Nope. I have seen much and believe me, this country is the desert of relationships and commitments. Marriage is not a privilege but you stupid americans think so. The op did bring a flower to the desert. I say shame on him and take her and her innocents back to the country and love her there because at least she won't lose her innocents here! That is the truth! Never bring a flower to the desert. It will wither and die!

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Your lucky to have only that language barrier otherwise if you didn't, she wouldn't need you anymore. Your in america right? If you brought your wife to america and she new how to speak english, you more than likely to have seen her go bye bye see you. She would probably divorce you in a matter of a few years if you can hold onto her for that long. American women are chits. You should never bring a flower to the desert. Your flower was blossoming and innocent in South Korea. Here everything is dead when it comes to relationships and families. America is truly the desert of death for families and relationships. Again how dare you bring that flower to the desert!!!! Grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!!

I truly hope you are not saying that all Women are the same. Are all men the same?

We have been together for almost 9 yrs now and so far...it's all good. She has been in the West for 3 yrs and she is still a 'flower' as you put it. Although she'd smack ya if you called her that.

The only one that has changed as a person in this relationship is me. I've become more calm and appreciative for the small joys in life. She taught me that.

When there is a communication barrier in a relationship, you tend to look more at the small things in a person to seek out understanding when words don't work. Eyes, facial expressions, gestures and actions towards yourself and others. This was how I got to know the true person that words couldn't express.

Try it...you might be surprised!

edit on 26-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Nope. I have seen much and believe me, this country is the desert of relationships and commitments. Marriage is not a privilege but you stupid americans think so. The op did bring a flower to the desert. I say shame on him and take her and her innocents back to the country and love her there because at least she won't lose her innocents here! That is the truth! Never bring a flower to the desert. It will wither and die!

Marriage should be a privilege. It is taken for granted and that is part of what is wrong with society I think. In the U.S. anyway.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Jude, I have a question... a bit off topic suppose.

What are the divorce rates in Canada? And is "no fault" divorce accepted in Canada, as in divorce accepted by the courts for any reason?
edit on 26-6-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by tinker9917
Jude, I have a question... a bit off topic suppose.

What are the divorce rates in Canada? And is "no fault" divorce accepted in Canada, as in divorce accepted by the courts for any reason?
edit on 26-6-2011 by tinker9917 because: (no reason given)

Good question and to be honest I never thought about it. Here's a link and from what I can see, divorce is on the decline. As for No Fault divorce, I honestly don't know. I guess I never thought I'd need to know.

www.imfcanada.org...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Neat story!
Sounds like the language situation was turned into a spice of life for you two
keeps its mixed up and interesting

Noticed you said you got married in August
I got married August 13th 2010
so cool

btw... is Jude short or slang for Julian?
or is it like my case... Jude is my last name

SnF

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
Neat story!
Sounds like the language situation was turned into a spice of life for you two
keeps its mixed up and interesting

Noticed you said you got married in August
I got married August 13th 2010
so cool

btw... is Jude short or slang for Julian?
or is it like my case... Jude is my last name

SnF

Thanks...and yes the barrier has been a great bit of spice for our marriage. Laughter.

Jude is actually my son's name. (First marriage many many...many yrs ago lol)

Thanks

top topics

<< 1   >>

join