It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Record 'dead zone' predicted in Gulf of Mexico

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Record 'dead zone' predicted in Gulf of Mexico

www.todayonline.com

NEW ORLEANS - Scientists predict this year's "dead zone" of low-oxygen water in the northern Gulf of Mexico will be the largest in history - about the size of Lake Erie - because of more runoff from the flooded Mississippi River valley.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org
www.kplctv.com
www.marconews.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NOAA: Gulf is Dying
Dead Zone in Gulf Linked to Oil
edit on 25-6-2011 by samlf3rd because: The title didn't display for some reason, just the word record.

edit on Sat Jun 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Wow, our poor ecosystems are being hit pretty hard right now. We are still in the process of mixing all these disasters in with one another, I wonder how everything will play out in a year or two.

I found another thread here on ATS that describes the same incident only 2 years old, and it said it was a record breaking dead zone. So now 2 years later we have another record breaking dead zone.

www.todayonline.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by samlf3rd

Mods-title still isn't displaying-it says "Record"

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
I believe it. My biggest problem is that the say that about every year. Seriously, I've seen that same prediction three years in a row now.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

This is an image made to show the size of the deadzone from 2002 of about 8,400 square miles (21,700 square Kilometers).

The deadzone for this year is predicted to be between 8,500 (22,000) and 9,500 square miles (24,600 km^2)

David Grouchy

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

because of more runoff from the flooded Mississippi River valley.

It sounds like a crap story to cover up the bp corexit damage. Now they have an excuse to let them fools off free of charges.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   
dude they let them off free the day it happened . seriously they big oil you know the cons and the prez aint gonna do squat to the hands that feed them. the one thing about hugo chavez that i do like is where he made his oil fields nationally owned

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:58 AM
link   
I find it funny how people thought the oil spill was going to completely destroy the gulf, and in reality, mother nature's own normal activity cause far more damage.

Obligatory second line.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by SkipperJohn

Good point, I am sure that the oil has something to do with it, or at least add to it.

top topics

join