It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Large UFO. 24th June, 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Hello ATS, just your usual youtube UFO that I thought some of you would be interested in pondering over.

Now I have seen very similar things in the sky, known as "satellites", however this one appears to be very bright. Much brighter than I have seen a satellite shine before, which leads me to wonder if this is not a space-faring craft but flying closer to Earth.

At this point it is difficult to say,

So I leave you with this video.

Description:

These both filmed from the exact same position using Yukon Ranger Nightscope.

Not the ISS as ISS does not fly over my house or even over my country as we are too far north.

If the uploader speaks the truth, and that the ISS does not fly over his country - Where? I do not know - then this UFO may be difficult to identify.

edit on 25-6-2011 by ThinkingCap because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
I wish this guy would share us these locations he films... He catches a bunch of em!!

Dang man, I'm tryna see a legit UFO maaayne

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
There are more things in orbit than the ISS.

Yes, things look bright when using night vision gear. That's the point.
www.youtube.com...
www.youtube.com...
edit on 6/25/2011 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Ah, thanks Phage.
Those two videos appear almost identical to this one.

Though they are moving quite fast compared to the OP video.

From a rocket, to a satellite + night vision = it all looks like a ball of light. So it is impossible to differentiate the two then, right? Still "could" be anything.

The behavior (Straight line) of the object in question is why I wasn't impressed at first, looked exactly like a man-made craft - but the brightness made me want to post it here.

Wasn't aware of what night vision can do for a UFO video though. Thanks.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's simply not true Phage and i suspect you already know that. They do not look *brighter* as that is actually impossible, they stay exactly the same in relative terms to the stars around them and the vast majority of satellites are only visible as dim 4+ magnitude objects in the night sky. Yes, in a country side environment they are fairlyeasy to spot, the naked eye can perceive down to magnitude 6 under clear dark non city skies. The object in this video I would guess is at least magnitude 2 and maybe as bright as magnitude 1. There are, in truth, relatively few satellites that come anywhere near this level of apparent brightness.

Here is a list of satellite magnitudes... www.n2yo.com...

The vast a majority of them a person would struggle to see with the naked eye under anything less than perfect viewing conditions and they would appear no brighter, no matter how you view them, than the the majority of stars on the edge of human vision.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

I agree with Phage.. This site might be applicable if there was a noted location of where this was shot...
edit on 25-6-2011 by rstregooski because: ia

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
Interesting. My grandparents, my cousin, and myself saw something similar on Tuesday night and Wednesday night. It was moving slow it looked like a star. I'm almost certain it was a satellite. Isn't there a website that tells you what satellites passed overhead? By the way my location at the time was Blythe, CA. Between 8pm and 10pm.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
It's actually pretty simple to solve this one. All we need to know was the orientation of the camera which would then give you the constellations in the background the object was passing in front of. Once this is known we have an absolute standard of magnitude to work from and then we can consult a list of possible satellites that could be that apparent magnitude. The list actually wouldn't be that long.
edit on 25-6-2011 by FireMoon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by FireMoon

The object in this video I would guess is at least magnitude 2 and maybe as bright as magnitude 1.
What do you base your guess on? Do you recognize any of the background stars to use for comparison?
One of the videos above shows Cosmos 1143. Typically visible at around magnitude 2.6.
www.romesg.com...

The other is Cosmos 1222. About the same magnitude.
darrinsweirdworld.blogspot.com...

Both videos use the same equipment as that in the OP.

There are, in truth, relatively few satellites that come anywhere near this level of apparent brightness.

Here is a list of satellite magnitudes.
Your list is for "Brightest Satellites". There are a lot of lower magnitude satellites up there.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Your list is for "Brightest Satellites". There are a lot of lower magnitude satellites up there

Yes Phage and you can't see them. We have base line here in the lights of the aircraft, the light emitted by the object is not that far off being as bright. That's my basis, the facts.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Not shure if it's just me, but I can see them at night. Everyone should take a look if the feeling is right and look up the sky.

Note, I saw 3 similar orbs merging together. It was pretty awesome b/c I would always see one traveling through the sky by itself, but never in a group.
edit on 25-6-2011 by Luckyxfactor because: .

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

What do you base your guess of the magnitude of the aircraft navigation lights on? The strobe is certainly a lot brighter than the satellite.

What do you think of the comparison to the Cosmos boosters?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:56 PM
link   
My guess was based on it seems to be passing through your favourite constellation, Orion the Archer Phage.... :lol

My real guess is based on having over 40 years of night time observing experience and knowing stuff like.... it appears to be brighter than approximately 6915 of the stars visible from Earth in a class three Bortle sky. That would put it at a magnitude of +3 or greater which is brighter than the vast majority of satellites and should have made it easy for the witness to track down if it was indeed a satellite.

Oh and well done, thank you for edited the erroneous and misleading text to your original reply which, by implication, suggested that somehow magically, satellites appear brighter than anything else in the filed of vision. when viewed through a light amplification device. Of course the reality is, a light amplification device amplifies everything in the field of view by exactly the same amount.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

My guess was based on it seems to be passing through your favourite constellation, Orion the Archer Phage.... :lol

Actually, if I had to choose a favorite I'd choose Crux. Tell me, in your 40 years of night time observing did you ever notice that Orion rises shortly after sunrise at this time of year? It's not visible in the night sky.

Greater than magnitude 3 is about right. Comparable to the Cosmos boosters seen in the other videos. There are plenty of satellites at that brightness. The youtube poster only mentions the ISS, what makes you think he tried to track down anything?

I didn't edit the text of my post. I added a video.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

Actually, if I had to choose a favorite I'd choose Crux. Tell me, in your 40 years of night time observing did you ever notice that Orion rises shortly after sunrise at this time of year? It's not visible in the night sky.

Greater than magnitude 3 is about right. Comparable to the Cosmos boosters seen in the other videos. There are plenty of satellites at that brightness. The youtube poster only mentions the ISS, what makes you think he tried to track down anything?

I didn't edit the text of my post. I added a video.

No as Orion is a winter constellation in Blighty , then again I haven't; told anyone on here and i quote... "Yes you're absolutely right it's Orion the Archer"...

Be seeing you...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
Looks like a normal satellite to me... The brightness seems standard, so I don't know what you all are talking about. It's not much brighter than the Stars, just slightly larger in size which makes it look brighter.

edit on 25-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

These both filmed from the exact same position using Yukon Ranger Nightscope.

Not the ISS as ISS does not fly over my house or even over my country as we are too far north.

If the uploader speaks the truth, and that the ISS does not fly over his country - ]

The ISS may not fly over his country but there are satellites in polar orbit that over fly all countries.

The video looks like a satelllite to me.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy
Looks like a normal satellite to me... The brightness seems standard, so I don't know what you all are talking about. It's not much brighter than the Stars, just slightly larger in size which makes it look brighter.

edit on 25-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

The vast majority of satellites look about the same size and brightness of the vast majority of stars visible in a rural dark sky, that is, magnitude 4 or dimmer. . That's because, from Earth, they actually look pretty small in size, many of them are actually small in reality anyway. There are relatively few which reach the brightness it appears in this video and that being so, if we knew the person's location it should be relatively easy to match one to the object seen here. Until we know the exact location we simply cannot say for sure and any amount of posts simply stating..."Oh it looks like a satellite to me" won't change that.

Given the telemetry of the aircraft in the video and that fact the object seems to follow a similar path, my guess would be another high flying aircraft following an established and regularly used flight path. However,. because of its' height the camera lens has amplified maybe 2-3 lights and blurred them into one image, thus masking it's identity.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by FireMoon
The vast majority of satellites look about the same size and brightness of the vast majority of stars visible in a rural dark sky, that is, magnitude 4 or dimmer. . That's because, from Earth, they actually look pretty small in size, many of them are actually small in reality anyway.

There is probably very little you can tell me that I don't already know.

I have filmed satellites and the ISS before... I have a few satellite tracker applications on my phone because I spend a lot of time in the desert with perfectly clear skies, and I always see objects/satellites reflecting the sun, and I try, and do, identify them with my phone constantly. I know what satellites look like, and how they would look in night vision cameras. What we see here is exactly what a satellite looks like.

There are relatively few which reach the brightness it appears in this video and that being so, if we knew the person's location it should be relatively easy to match one to the object seen here.

I disagree with your observation that this object is abnormally bright. It looks about normal brightness to me compared to the aircraft in the beginning of the video.

Until we know the exact location we simply cannot say for sure and any amount of posts simply stating..."Oh it looks like a satellite to me" won't change that.

So what do you expect from people? Should we cop-out like you? Or should we state our experienced opinions?

Given the telemetry of the aircraft in the video and that fact the object seems to follow a similar path, my guess would be another high flying aircraft following an established and regularly used flight path. However,. because of its' height the camera lens has amplified maybe 2-3 lights and blurred them into one image, thus masking it's identity.

I highly doubt it is an aircraft. Strobe lights on the aircraft would cause the light to pulsate and we see none of that.

FireMoon, I have noticed over time that you have a very bad track record when it comes to UFO videos. It seems whenever you defend a video it later turns out to be confirmed as fake. Some of my friends have noticed this too, and it's like an inside joke that, "If FireMoon defends it, then it's probably fake or mundane".
It's great you try to defend them like a public defender trying to help a murderer which has the evidence stacked against him, but to me it seems like you just enjoy picking the side of the debate that is guarantee to lose, and you would think you would learn something by now.
edit on 26-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join