It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Emergency water supply. Are you ready?

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I recently purchased a fail safe emergency water supply container called the Super Tanker.
www.supertankers.ca...
If you know of other simple to use, turn key water tanks, and systems, please contribute to this thread.
I choose the white plastic so that the light from the three UV lamps (parts purchased from my local hardware store) that surround it will kill bacteria. Prior to filling my tank, I cleaned it with diluted Chlorox Bleach, and rinsed it for 2 hours. I used a water softener, two in line house water filters (one charcoal and another fiber ), and then a reverse osmosis treatment that drained into the tank. I also use a medical grade water pump (this will give you a start www.ajhpumps.co.uk... www.gwpumps.com... ) to circulate the water within the 250 gallon tank. Next month, I plan to purchase another 250 gallon tank and repeat the process. I am currently contemplating attaching an additional pump to the central water line to my home, and rotating my filtered water through the water pipes of my home.
Stay thirsty my friends




posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
where do you live again? hehe


I am totally not prepared. I don't even know where to start..other than the link you provided...however, I don't have the money for all that. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and family lately and none are prepared for anything..we all seem to be living payday to payday with barely enough food to hold out the two weeks in between..Some of my family live here in midwest others live in california..other than food and gas to last the payday..there is nothing left anymore



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
where do you live again? hehe


I am totally not prepared. I don't even know where to start..other than the link you provided...however, I don't have the money for all that. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and family lately and none are prepared for anything..we all seem to be living payday to payday with barely enough food to hold out the two weeks in between..Some of my family live here in midwest others live in california..other than food and gas to last the payday..there is nothing left anymore


A suburb of Dayton Ohio. I despise living on base and prefer my privacy. With my own home, I have fortified it the way I want, and have escaped (for most part) the prying eyes of our Uncle. I also have access to a small airstrip not far away, so if I must, I can fly out (or at least try).



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
where do you live again? hehe


I am totally not prepared. I don't even know where to start..other than the link you provided...however, I don't have the money for all that. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and family lately and none are prepared for anything..we all seem to be living payday to payday with barely enough food to hold out the two weeks in between..Some of my family live here in midwest others live in california..other than food and gas to last the payday..there is nothing left anymore


Just hop on craigslist and there are food grade barrels.. some with bungs and etc.. 15 bucks a piece for 55 gal.
If you need to know how to keep it safe or fresh I can u2u you.
Im more concerned with my darned heating issues in this old dinosaur.. trying to get on CL and find a wood stove or 2. Folks are having firesales it seems. ALso this time of yr you can find seasoned split wood for FREE by the truck load. SHocking but true. We're picking up a load today


BTW.. you ever get my u2uin reply ?? Im having some issues lately with my stupid connection with Charter and if it craps out when Im sending I never know if the recipient has ever received the thing! I was going to get with you and get you set up on the cheap! Id have NO problem sharing some of my heirloom seeds and etc. and especially after this harvest I will have extras.. free of course.



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100
 


Here is a start for water.
www.rei.com...



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by Neopan100
where do you live again? hehe


I am totally not prepared. I don't even know where to start..other than the link you provided...however, I don't have the money for all that. I have been talking to a lot of my friends and family lately and none are prepared for anything..we all seem to be living payday to payday with barely enough food to hold out the two weeks in between..Some of my family live here in midwest others live in california..other than food and gas to last the payday..there is nothing left anymore


Just hop on craigslist and there are food grade barrels.. some with bungs and etc.. 15 bucks a piece for 55 gal.
If you need to know how to keep it safe or fresh I can u2u you.
Im more concerned with my darned heating issues in this old dinosaur.. trying to get on CL and find a wood stove or 2. Folks are having firesales it seems. ALso this time of yr you can find seasoned split wood for FREE by the truck load. SHocking but true. We're picking up a load today


BTW.. you ever get my u2uin reply ?? Im having some issues lately with my stupid connection with Charter and if it craps out when Im sending I never know if the recipient has ever received the thing! I was going to get with you and get you set up on the cheap! Id have NO problem sharing some of my heirloom seeds and etc. and especially after this harvest I will have extras.. free of course.


Thank you for an excellent contribution. Star 4 U



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage
 


That sounds great..I didn't get a u2u message? Where do I look for that? Other than reading and sometimes posting I don't mess around on here too much. I don't know what the u2u messages look like...is that the same as the way I have contacted you before? If not I will message you through that and give you my email address.

Our insurance will not allow for wood burning stoves..I wanted to get one but the only thing we are allowed (i checked statefarm, alstate, metlife, and home insurance through our bank) are gas burning fireplaces.


Okay..duh just sent that message to you and that is the U2U..I didn't know...I'm a fast clicker and don't read!

edit on 25-6-2011 by Neopan100 because: Because Im clueless...




posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


Nice tanks I've been eying one of those for quite some time. Right now have broken by short term supply into 10 portable 7 gallon containers in addition to my supply of filters and water treatment tablets and liquids. I'd have to dedicate a corner in my garage or basement for it. I think the basement would be best.

For the long haul you may want to consider treating your tank with Aquamira (chlorine dioxide) or liquid stabilized oxygen. A good treatment with either option will give you a shelf life of about 5 years with your storage. I recently drank from a container that I treated with the stabilized oxy. two years ago and it tasted as fresh as the day I bottled it.

Stabilized Oxygen is used in the water containers in California's earthquake preparedness kits.




posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
My boat will hold 300 gallons of water -- it lasts a week end



posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Violater1
 


My wife and I are going to try out homemade filters of layers of grass, charcoal, and sand, then boiling the water to kill everything in it instead. No need to spend money on what our planet can give us for labor costs.



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by jibeho
reply to post by Violater1
 


Nice tanks I've been eying one of those for quite some time. Right now have broken by short term supply into 10 portable 7 gallon containers in addition to my supply of filters and water treatment tablets and liquids. I'd have to dedicate a corner in my garage or basement for it. I think the basement would be best.

For the long haul you may want to consider treating your tank with Aquamira (chlorine dioxide) or liquid stabilized oxygen. A good treatment with either option will give you a shelf life of about 5 years with your storage. I recently drank from a container that I treated with the stabilized oxy. two years ago and it tasted as fresh as the day I bottled it.

Stabilized Oxygen is used in the water containers in California's earthquake preparedness kits.


That's an excellent idea, and I'll look into it. I modeled my system from dialysis centers. The H2O, that is exactly what it is, is all used within a 48 hour period. What your suggesting, the Stabilized Oxygen, would help kill the bacteria, and prolong the shelf life. G_D only knows how long this man/demon made "drought" will last.
Stay thirsty my friends.



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I have not made any plans on storing water, considering the area I live in, water is relatively plentiful. I have just enough water stored that I can easily carry, outside of that I will rely on knowing how to clean it as I go because water is a pain to store and move. However, I have also done a little recon of the area and there are small office buildings all over the place and a lot of them have the water coolers, I would have no problems knocking the office door down and getting their water cooler reserve bottles, if I were to be staying in the area that is. It is common to see 65 gallons of water next to these coolers.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
I have not made any plans on storing water, considering the area I live in, water is relatively plentiful. I have just enough water stored that I can easily carry, outside of that I will rely on knowing how to clean it as I go because water is a pain to store and move. However, I have also done a little recon of the area and there are small office buildings all over the place and a lot of them have the water coolers, I would have no problems knocking the office door down and getting their water cooler reserve bottles, if I were to be staying in the area that is. It is common to see 65 gallons of water next to these coolers.
edit on 26-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)


Please keep in mind that China has at least six orbiting FengYun satellites over the US right now (use KLM network link to track all satellites on Google Earth). There are also four above Ireland and the UK. IF just three of those have an EMP aboard, The US will lose most everything that runs on a circuit board (that's way Russian aircraft still use vacuum tubes). Radiation of the lakes, rivers and ground waters would be imminent. However, your bottled water would be a good idea. Sadly, others will come to the same conclusion.



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirnex
reply to post by Violater1
 


My wife and I are going to try out homemade filters of layers of grass, charcoal, and sand, then boiling the water to kill everything in it instead. No need to spend money on what our planet can give us for labor costs.


Why the grass?
Keep in mind that at higher altitudes water will boil at a different temperatures.



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
I was wondering,how well would a 20,000 gal pool would work,
and what kinda filter would I need?
As long as the chlorine is gone,is it drinkable or just potable.
Just wondering.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 12:58 AM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982
 


You can drink the pool water. You can boil it and it will take out some chemicals. Get a berkley water filter. That's what I did
edit on 27-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Funny- this topic is exactly what I was researching before I came to see the recent posts for the night before going to bed.

I have underground streams all over my property. I am trying to figure out how to get at least a hand pumps running from a few of them.

I was watching videos on hydro electricity, which I am also interested in.

I am just not sure where to start, or how to go about tapping into my water supply.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 01:30 AM
link   
I am totally unprepared sadly...

I would like to be more prepared ,but money has been very tight over the last few months.
I do have a question, if anybody can answer it'd be appreciated.

I live near very close to a small man made lake,however people do use motorized boats on it frequently, can I drink it if I filter it and/or boil first?



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
I have a question too. If I gather the 5 gal cooking oil containers from work, they are recycle code 2, food grade. Wash them thoroughly, how long could I expect city tap water to last before rotating out the water? Searched some and got conflicting 3 mos to 1 year before additional treatment would be needed. Check with your local restaurants, see what days they change out their fryers. They have excellent capacity and are free. So no economic impact on my income to have some in storage. They have handles so relocating them within the home for storage is a cinch. The food buckets are harder to come by, most employees get first dibs so I rarely get those. Am using those for storing dehydrated food packets cause they seal so well. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.



posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I have live running springs on all the hills around me plus a 30ft well under my shop and a 250ft well running into the house from my pump house, i have a 3500 gallon portable canvas swimming pool and several 500 gallon fire truck tanker tanks as well, so i don't foresee any immediate water problem
I even have condensers in the event of nuclear contamination so i can fix my water




top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join