It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New from SW England

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Hi all,

I've been reading posts here on ATS for a couple of years now and finally got around to becoming a member.
Haven't got a huge amount to say about myself as I think it's better for me to make a few thought out replies in the many topics and paint a more realistic picture of where I stand on things.

I've spent over a decade in the UK Civil Service (followed by a few years in local government) and after being involved in a few questionable activities myself I realised the deceptive practices which clearly must be employed at levels higher than I ever worked at.
That said, I abandoned 'public service' a couple of years ago and I'm now self employed, working with some property developer friends in the general building game - still learning all the time but I've got 30+ years of working ahead of me and being 'free of the machine' (as far as our perception of freedom goes) is a much more 'real' existence than I've ever had.

Anyway, good to be a member finally, I shall continue enjoying the wildly varying posts here on ATS.

Cheers,

GOS

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Hey there,

Warm welcome from Bournemouth. Glad to have someone with your experience around although I doubt you are alone. Hope you will thoroughly enjoy yourself here.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
Hey there,

Warm welcome from Bournemouth. Glad to have someone with your experience around although I doubt you are alone. Hope you will thoroughly enjoy yourself here.

Thanks Lynda, I can't believe I've taken so long to sign up!
...and I really like Bournemouth after spending a summer working there quite a few years ago - I stayed in The Carlton hotel (big old posh place on the front) for 3 months funded by the tax-payer - shocking waste of money but I had a brilliant time and a few hazy memories which still make me smile

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hello mate welcome from derbyshire

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Hi GOS

Welcome to ATS.........2 years a lurker, yeap I was the same - Good to see another from the SW

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by benintheuk
Hello mate welcome from derbyshire

Cheers fella, been around the world but never gone as far north as your neck of the woods in Britain, I'll take a road trip one day

Originally posted by vesta

Hi GOS

Welcome to ATS.........2 years a lurker, yeap I was the same - Good to see another from the SW

Thanks for the welcome vesta, I'm actually in the bay myself, didn't expect to bump into another member so close!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by grainofsand

Welcome to the forums from a Jarrow Geordie. (Newcastle upon Tyne UK for those that don't know) You did exactly what I did and I think a lot of people do, that is hang about the site for a long time before taking the plunge and signing up. I'm sure you'll have your favourite subjects like most of us but if you're anything like me you'll have a look at most topics. I have been pleasantly surprised by looking around the site and have now found myself becoming more and more interested in most topics on the site. Always something out there that I have never heard of that piques my interest and I'm sure will pique most peoples interest. Enjoy.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS from Doncaster.

Hope you enjoy it here. Cya around...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Small world..........there is another member on here as well, so that makes 3 peeps on ATS from the Bay

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Hi and welcome
I escaped the Civil Service too!!!!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shazmar

Welcome to the forums from a Jarrow Geordie. (Newcastle upon Tyne UK for those that don't know) You did exactly what I did and I think a lot of people do, that is hang about the site for a long time before taking the plunge and signing up. I'm sure you'll have your favourite subjects like most of us but if you're anything like me you'll have a look at most topics. I have been pleasantly surprised by looking around the site and have now found myself becoming more and more interested in most topics on the site. Always something out there that I have never heard of that piques my interest and I'm sure will pique most peoples interest. Enjoy.

Cheers Shazmar, and yep, there's loads of interesting things to read here on ATS, it kind of covers the lot really.
What I really like is the wide distribution of members which give a local slant to news which is sometimes otherwise ignored/suppressed by other media sources.

...oh, and by the way, a Geordie lass accent is proper sexy sounding to my ears. I had the pleasure of a short relationship with a girl from Tyneside some years ago, I could listen to her talking all day and she was down to earth and hard as nails at the same time - shame I messed it up, but thats another story I guess!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Hi grainofsand, and welcome to the Introductions Forum, a place to say hello to the ATS community. For now you can reply to any thread in any member forum you wish, as well as send & receive (PM's) Private Messages to Staff only for now. Once you have achieved 20 posts, you will then be able to start your own threads and additionally send & receive messages to and from fellow ATS members.

Some handy links, links and more links.

Index of Important ATS Related Threads

Start Here - ATS Freshmans Forum

Hey new members!! Come here if you need advice

Starting a New Thread ?... Look Here First

Terms & Conditions Of Use (Please read)

Rules for Avatars and Mini-Profile Background images

Signature Guidelines

Take your time and enjoy. If you have any questions just ask.

Sauron,
Super-Moderator.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Rising Against

Cheers for the welcome, I used to knock about with a lad from Donny, you're not Daz by any chance are ya?!

reply to post by vesta

Well it is the metropolis by the sea I guess!

reply to post by thedoctorswife

'escaped' the Civil Service
I like it!
...diolch yn fawr!

reply to post by Sauron

Thanks a lot for the welcome and advice Sauron, I've been checking up on some of the rules a bit but after lurking for so long I kind of know what is likely to get me shot down quickly - learning from others mistakes has made it a lot easier, and has been quite entertaining sometimes

...I haven't checked if languages other than English break the rules so I'm sorry if "diolch yn fawr" above is a breach (I'm guessing it is) - it just means "thank you very much" in Welsh

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

you're not Daz by any chance are ya?!

lol, No.. but I do know someone from that name.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rising Against

you're not Daz by any chance are ya?!

lol, No.. but I do know someone from that name.

lol, I reckon we all do, it was a bit of a stab in the dark with such a common nickname

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Yeah, I was just having fun anyway.

Welcome to ATS again btw.
Hope to see you around the boards...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Welcome to ATS grain.
Looking forward to reading your contributions.

st.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SatoriTheory

Cheers Satori, it's been a nice warm welcome here so far, but then again, I suppose I haven't posted anything too controversial...yet!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Nice one geza,good to hear somone who knows wot they're on about.im in torquay to.we love the english riviera.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
reply to post by marvinthemartian

Wow man, that makes 4 of us from the bay on ATS now!
...it seems to be the place to be at the sea

top topics

<<   2 >>

join