It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama Pitches Plan to Promote High-Tech Innovation

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Not exactly sure if this thread belongs here... Feel free to move it to the appropriate place mods

President Barack Obama says technological innovations can help create jobs and spur growth in clean energy and advanced manufacturing.

In his radio and Internet address, the president promoted a plan he outlined Friday in which the government would join with universities and corporations to re-ignite the manufacturing sector with an emphasis on cutting-edge research and new technologies.

"Their mission is to come up with a way to get ideas from the drawing board to the manufacturing floor to the marketplace as swiftly as possible, which will help create quality jobs, and make our businesses more competitive," Obama said in the address aired Saturday.

----------------------------------------------------

With growing interest from the military, businesses and consumers, the Carnegie Mellon Robotics Institute has more than 500 technical experts and a $65 million annual budget.

The $500 million initiative is the latest effort by Obama to promote job creation in the midst of an economic slowdown that has reduced hiring and weakened his job approval standing with the public.

----------------------------------------------------

The goal of his manufacturing plan, he said, is "to help make sure America remains in this century what we were in the last - a country that makes things."

Link to Article

"The job creators we hear from, they don't have their hand out," she said. "They don't want a bailout. All they ask us to do is get government out of the way."

So is this Obama's "big plan" to provide jobs and repair the economy?

Or is this an attempt to monitor/control/evesdrop on technological advances?

I do think it is good that he is promoting high-tech innovation and all that jazz. Yeah, it might give a few people some jobs, and get a little more moolah circulating..maybe. But what do you suppose some ulterior motives might be?

edit on 25-6-2011 by deanGI5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

The goal of his manufacturing plan, he said, is "to help make sure America remains in this century what we were in the last - a country that makes things."

Personally, I'm sick of hearing how humanity can progress by making more and more trinkets for more and more people.

This president has no imagination. He looks to the past, that has failed miserably, to chart the direction in the future? This is exponential insanity.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Well, that's good news inst it, but the call comes a bit too late regarding the ongoing financial crisis!
This will in no way help America to get up on its feet again in the short-term. The conceptual development to the actual realization of these technologies take years until they reach the markets. In the long-term though this will surely pay and ensure the competitiveness of America on the world stage.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by GalacticJoe

I agree with you there.

Those cool new trinkets are a pretty good distraction for the masses though.

This whole concept is like giving a baby a pacifier. It'll make the upset baby stop crying for a while, but eventually it'll realize that it is not getting any milk from it.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Yeah, basically the same high tech that brought on the use of ATMs and Kiosks in Airports. The same tech that he blamed for the economic downfall.

Obama, you are a doofus.

I am reminded of the Dr. Seuss picture of a male character standing in a green outfit, with his arms crossed, and his fingers pointing in opposite directions.
That's Obama.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
He finally does something I can approve of.

Sort of...

This would have been great a few years ago... and it would have been even better if he did it before the budget was looking at being 30% larger than the projected revenue. Which, I believe, is the far more pertinent problem to address.

I was reading an article in a college competency test the other day - taken from the National Science Foundation (if I remember correctly) - where they were presenting the argument that government subsidized research and development does lead to a stronger and more competent private industrial and technological sector.

Which - not all government spending is inherently bad. We just have to be careful how we use it. For once... this president is proposing some spending that I could be on-board with.... we'll just have to see if he follows through with a sensible plan, or if it turns out to be full of as much hot air as his presidency has, thus far.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
letter to obama scribd privatization of UFO technology

privatization of UFO technology to stimulate the economy.

Its happened before but no one will never be allowed to work on Tesla technology.
World wide Power and Communication is now done by many companies and not one
central company. Bell worked the monopoly the best.

Replacing airlines with UFO technology.
Then everyone in the world wants the technology.
Jet fuel savings might help cars at the gas pump.
But there goes a whole industry.

Interesting the recommendation was for UFO and nothing about Tesla.
Perhaps that would be an even more far reaching economy boost to some and
none to others.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by deanGI5

Oh, sure, spin it all off into the future with things we can't even dream of today. How can you argue with that plan? It is fool proof. Let's deal with normal jobs doing normal production work and normal infrastructure rebuilding work, and, oh, let's throw in restructuring the tax structure for GE and some of the other fat cat corps, too. That should make a few new jobs in the CPA (acconting) area.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
He should promote thorium power and electric transportation. High-tech clean energy investment which solves oil dependence.

Obama could kill fossil fuels overnight with a nuclear dash for thorium

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I just had a post about how the atomic age would be so widely accepted but never
told us the method was to boil water giving us the efficiency to coal or gas.

Energy from the environment just can't see the light of day.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Countries already going down the drain... wouldn't mind a few technological innovations.

top topics

join