It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"good" cops, A touch of history

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I'm here primarily for the social and civil issues, I don't do CT's, most of these tend to be of the nature of law enforcement as the LEO is the front line "warrior" in the fight over an individuals "negative rights", meaning simply natural laws that every human on earth has, those of life, liberty and property. At every moment, I base my postings on these three things. Without then we are all slaves.

I won't go into the details of how I came to write this, but I have been asked what makes a good cop, and when I pointed it out, the person asked went on a rant about how my opinion didn't count. To this I say if my opinion doesn't count then don't expect me to cry and bemoan the pain and suffering a cops family goes through when one is killed.

So what do I think makes a good cop? One that I would never call a LEO, one that deserves respect based on his actions alone, not some idea that a badge means anything sacred. One I would be proud to call an Officer of Peace.

What is a Peace Officer?

A peace officer is a public official who has been charged with keeping the peace. Peace officers are granted certain powers which they can utilise to fulfil their duties, including the power to make arrests.

All to often this is not the case, more and more often encounters of a simple and mundane nature to be real is escalated to the level of physical violence instigated by the LEO, the very same individual that we expect to maintain and keep the peace.

I'm from Texas, and like a majority of Texicans, I have a great sense of pride in most of the history of Texas, yes, we are a prideful people, known around the world as being such, we are in fact much like the stereotypical idea everyone has of Texans, altho the one about being stupid is hogwash. I refer to anyone from Texas who actually understands the reason for our pride as a Texican. Many have never heard the term but is actually quite common, google it.

Texian was the preferred demonym, used by Texas colonists, for all the people of the Republic of Texas, before it became a US state.[4] This term was strongly favored by early colonists and public officials, including a majority of Texas residents,[5] and President Mirabeau Lamar frequently used it to foster Texas nationalism.[6] Attempts were made by some to defame the term Texian by falsely[citation needed] indicating it referred to Anglo-Americans only.

With that being said, I give you an example of an entire law enforcement agency that is beyond reproach in deserving the term "good cop"

I give you the Texas Rangers

The Texas Ranger Division, commonly called the Texas Rangers, is a law enforcement agency with statewide jurisdiction in Texas, and is based in Austin, Texas. Over the years, the Texas Rangers have investigated crimes ranging from murder to political corruption, acted as riot police and as detectives, protected the Governor of Texas, tracked down fugitives, and functioned as a paramilitary force at the service of both the Republic (1836–45) and the state of Texas.

Who they are

The unit is the second oldest state-level law enforcement agency in the United States. The Rangers have taken part in many of the most important events of Texas history and were involved in some of the best-known criminal cases in the history of the Old West, such as those of gunfighter John Wesley Hardin, bank robber Sam Bass, and outlaws Bonnie and Clyde. Scores of books have been written about the Rangers, from well researched works of nonfiction to pulp novels, making them significant participants in the mythology of the Wild West. During their long history, a distinct Ranger tradition has evolved; their cultural significance to Texians and later Texans is such that they are legally protected against disbandment.[4] There is a museum dedicated to the Texas Rangers in Waco, Texas.

Some 'lore'

Texas Ranger lore dates the first rangers to 1823, when Stephen F. Austin employed ten men to act as rangers to protect 600 to 700 newly settled families who arrived in Texas following the Mexican War of Independence. While there is some discussion as to when Austin actually employed men as "rangers", Texas Ranger lore dates the anniversary year of their organization to this event.

the image

From its earliest days, the Rangers were surrounded with the mystique of the Old West. And though popular culture's image of the Rangers is typically one of rough living, tough talk and a quick draw, Ranger Captain John "Rip" Ford described the men who served him thus:

A large proportion ... were unmarried. A few of them drank intoxicating liquors. Still, it was a company of sober and brave men. They knew their duty and they did it. While in a town they made no braggadocio demonstration. They did not gallop through the streets, shoot, and yell. They had a specie of moral discipline which developed moral courage. They did right because it was right.[15]

As it happened with many Old West myths like Billy the Kid or Wyatt Earp, the Rangers' legendary aura was in part a result of the work of sensationalistic writers and the contemporary press, who glorified and embellished their deeds in an idealized manner. The case of the Rangers is, however, unique: it was a collective force that, in exercise of the authority granted by the government, protected Texas against threats considered extremely evil at the time. While some Rangers could be considered criminals wearing badges by a modern observer, many documented tales of bravery and selflessness are also intertwined in the group's history.

Their Mission

The duties of the Texas Ranger Division consist of conducting criminal and special investigations; apprehending wanted felons; suppressing major disturbances; the protection of life and property; and rendering assistance to local law enforcement in suppressing crime and violence.

And last and most important in my eyes is their motto

"One Riot, One Ranger"
en.wikipedia.org...

Now, if you think you can live up to the standards set by the Texas Rangers, then I might call you a good cop, but all to often I'm sure you fall short.
edit on 25-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-6-2011 by NuroSlam because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by NuroSlam

Ya know, I watched a bit of one of those new reality Cop shows that is based in my town, Melbourne..

There was a truck that had broken down of a highway and the Cops came to check..
The truckie asked nicely if they could call him a tow truck..

The Cop said "That's not our job" and walked away..

I mean, that's how bad they are getting..
Would it have hurt for them to just be a little helpful??

Personally, I was disgusted and turned the show off..

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 04:00 PM
link   
A whole agency that is above reproach? Maybe you should read up on some of that Ranger lore again.

Ranger.Org

The Texas Legislature authorizes mass inductions and the "overnight" creation of new Ranger companies. The Ranger force grew to its largest level, but the lack of training and controls were evident. Some of the new companies uphold the law while others functioned as vigilante groups incensed by raids from Mexico. Hispanic, as well as Anglo, Texans served in these units. These Rangers are given orders "... to keep them (Mexican raiders) off of Texas territory if possible, and if they invade the State let them understand they do so at the risk of their lives."

The vigilante nature, and poor command structure led to incidents unacceptable to "regular" Rangers. After one retaliatory Ranger raid into Mexico, an entire company was dismissed. In one battle in 1917, as many as 20 Mexicans may have been killed by Rangers who crossed into Mexico.

In January of 1919 Representative José T. Canales of Brownsville demands a legislative investigation of the conduct of the various Ranger forces during the period 1915-1917 and the reorganization of the force. The Texas Legislature investigates nineteen charges made against the Texas Ranger forces in the aftermath of the Plan of San Diego and the War. The investigation results in the reduction of the Ranger force to four companies of 17 men each. A tightening of qualifications for the Texas Ranger service leads to its initial professionalization.

Following an investigation of corruption in the Ferguson administration, a panel recommends the formation of the Texas Department of Public Safety headed by an independent Public Safety Commission. Newly elected Governor Allred revokes the commissions of all Texas Rangers appointed by the Ferguson administration.

The Texas Rangers as a knight in shining armor is a myth. They are an organization of men. Like any such organization they have been beset with their own problems over time.

join