It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: NY Passes Gay Marriage

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander

I explicitly stated it was not a personal attack, but an observation. Now you're like talking to a child who keeps asking why the sky is blue.

These kind of remarks - - really don't help your credibility - - in debating.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

I explicitly stated it was not a personal attack, but an observation. Now you're like talking to a child who keeps asking why the sky is blue.

These kind of remarks - - really don't help your credibility - - in debating.

Why, because I call a spade a spade?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Anyone up for a camping trip? Maybe a road trip to NY? j/k sorry I couldn't resist...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Gee, makes you wonder about the fall of Rome and Greece...

Marriage is nothing but a LEGAL contract, same as a corporation or a legally bound agreement between two people sanctioned by the legal state/courts. Personally, marriage should be between the two parties, and nothing more. That in essence would make marriage better (not trying to shaft each other out of money when divorce rolls around) and would help build the ties that bond each other for commitment and love.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by pityocamptes

Marriage is nothing but a LEGAL contract, . .

YES! This is about Legal marriage the government contract - - the benefits/rights etc - - that are already granted to opposite gender couples.

How one defines their marriage is up to them. That is separate from Legal Marriage.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

Marriage is nothing but a LEGAL contract, same as a corporation or a legally bound agreement between two people sanctioned by the legal state/courts. Personally, marriage should be between the two parties, and nothing more. That in essence would make marriage better (not trying to shaft each other out of money when divorce rolls around) and would help build the ties that bond each other for commitment and love.

If that is the case, then I should be able to marry my brother in order to reap the benefits of tax deduction, family medical plan, etc.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

YES! This is about Legal marriage the government contract - - the benefits/rights etc - - that are already granted to opposite gender couples.

How one defines their marriage is up to them. That is separate from Legal Marriage.

If it was just about the rights and benefits, we could establish a domestic partnership contract. No need to call it marriage.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   

If that is the case, then I should be able to marry my brother in order to reap the benefits of tax deduction, family medical plan, etc.

Once again marriage is a CONTRACT between both parties AND the third party the state, who, in a dispute settles the matter in court per the contract. It is nothing more than a contract glossed over with the sanction of the church. In a legally bound contract it does not matter WHO the parties are. I believe you are looking at this in mixed light. MARRIAGE is a STATE contract, yet "marriage" can be solely a CHURCH contract between two people, and god, adn NOTHING MORE.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

If it was just about the rights and benefits, we could establish a domestic partnership contract. No need to call it marriage.

Your domestic partnership contract is basically marriage between you, god, and the church. A MARRIAGE LICENSE (note the use of LICENSE) is between you, your mate, AND the STATE - god is an after thought to make people feel all fuzzy and warm...

link   

Originally posted by Avenginggecko
It's official. The Democrat controlled State House and Republican controlled State Senate in New York have passed gay marriage.

That's fantastic! There's no reason to exclude these groups of people from having the same thing that straight couples have. Now they can get married, buy a house, and have kids like the rest of us. Good for them.

link   

Once again marriage is a CONTRACT between both parties AND the third party the state, who, in a dispute settles the matter in court per the contract. It is nothing more than a contract glossed over with the sanction of the church. In a legally bound contract it does not matter WHO the parties are. I believe you are looking at this in mixed light. MARRIAGE is a STATE contract, yet "marriage" can be solely a CHURCH contract between two people, and god, adn NOTHING MORE.

Okay, but my question still stands. If it is merely a state contract, why can't I marry my brother, or my mother, or both?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Okay, but my question still stands. If it is merely a state contract, why can't I marry my brother, or my mother, or both?

Because the law - terms of the contract, say that you cannot. Once again MARRIAGE has relenquished its rights to the STATE.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
...and you could marry your brother, sister, whatever, if you so choose to do so, but you will not be within the bounds of the STATE contract, and may actually face punishment for such acts depending on other CONTRACTUAL STATE agreements about who can marry who.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   

Your domestic partnership contract is basically marriage between you, god, and the church. A MARRIAGE LICENSE (note the use of LICENSE) is between you, your mate, AND the STATE - god is an after thought to make people feel all fuzzy and warm...

I didn't say anything about God or Church. I said a domestic partnership contract. A state contract. Heck, stop calling it a marriage license entirely, and call it a domestic partnership license for everyone. And leave marriage out of the state's hands.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Because the law - terms of the contract, say that you cannot. Once again MARRIAGE has relenquished its rights to the STATE.

And my question is WHY? Up until a few days ago the law said gays cannot either. Why is the state showing favoritism to gays, rather than passing a true law of equality that says anyone can marry anyone?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:59 PM
link   

I didn't say anything about God or Church. I said a domestic partnership contract. A state contract. Heck, stop calling it a marriage license entirely, and call it a domestic partnership license for everyone. And leave marriage out of the state's hands.

Well then as your original question about marrying whomever you want - you would have to take that up with the STATE and their guidelines. Remember, to live in a civilization you have to abide by the state and the power YOU relinquish to them for the common good of ALL.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Well then as your original question about marrying whomever you want - you would have to take that up with the STATE and their guidelines. Remember, to live in a civilization you have to abide by the state and the power YOU relinquish to them for the common good of ALL.

Hmmm, yes, it seems Communism takes deeper root in this country everyday. Good observation.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   

And my question is WHY? Up until a few days ago the law said gays cannot either. Why is the state showing favoritism to gays, rather than passing a true law of equality that says anyone can marry anyone?

Because this nation is founded on Xian beliefs - thus my comment on the term GOD in all marriages. It will never happen as long as those in power look at "marriage" as a contract AND more importantly a contract with god, and bible beliefs...

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Because this nation is founded on Xian beliefs - thus my comment on the term GOD in all marriages. It will never happen as long as those in power look at "marriage" as a contract AND more importantly a contract with god, and bible beliefs...

So we should believe in nothing BUT the state?

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   

So we should believe in nothing BUT the state?

No, you should believe in yourself and someone you want to spend your life with. Nothing more, nothing less. Freedom is just a word, and religion has shaped the world, even in the modern 21st century. Personally, I could care less who you marry, though I am sure some of the guidelines set in place by the STATE try to sway this thought as it trys to curb disease, inbred defects, etc.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join