It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KIA pedophelia ad was never authorized by the car company.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
I found this story in a few places today and it is generating quite a bit of outrage.

Kia Sportage Ad Sparks Pedophilia Controversy

A new Kia ad is raising eyebrows—with some even saying that it promotes pedophilia.

The ad, which promotes a dual-zone climate control feature in one of Kia's cars, took home the Silver Press Lion at the prestigious Cannes Lion Awards. But it is controversial, to say the least.

The ad features a teacher lusting after his elementary school-aged student. On one side of the page, she appears as a young girl. On the other side, though, she becomes a scantily clad, buxom teen, seemingly as a product of the teacher's imagination.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d5ebda80d1f.jpg[/atsimg]

Huff Post

I found a story that says that KIA apologised for the offensive ad.

Kia Says It Had No Role In Producing Sexy Cartoons

Kia on Friday called the ads "offensive," and said they had no relationship with Moma, the Sao Paulo advertising agency that created the spots.

The ads were purportedly for Kia's dual-zone air conditioning, and read "A different temperature on each side."

They won a 2011 Cannes Lions awards.

"The ad is undoubtedly inappropriate, and on behalf of Kia Motors we apologize to those who have been offended by it," Kia said in a statement on its Facebook page.

"We can guarantee this advertisement has never and will never be used in any form in the United States," they said.

AOL Autos

They said they would never allow the ad to be run inside the US. I figured it must have run somewhere, otherwise why would it create such media buzz and win an award at Cannes? It turns out that some ad agency made the ad without KIA's permission or knowledge just to enter it into the Cannes competition.

Kia Denies Knowledge of Pedophile Ads That Won Cannes Prize

Kia (KIMTF) has denied it has anything to do with a pedophilia-themed campaign that won a Silver Lion at the Cannes advertising festival, calling into question the integrity of the agency that created the ad — Moma Propaganda in Sao Paulo, Brazil — and the competition itself.

The rules of the Cannes festival are clear: Ads must have been made for clients and run as part of normal campaigns paid for by client media budgets. This is a the second recent occasion in which a Brazilian ad agency has been caught entering an ad at Cannes that was not fully approved by a client. In 2009, DDB Brasil entered an ad for the World Wildlife Fund that depicted a Sept. 11-style attack on New York that was nixed by a client before the festival began.

Kia, in a message posted in the comments section of the BNET item reporting on the campaign, says it has “no business relationship” with Moma and did not approve the ad.

BNET

It seems this whole scandal came about because some ad agency with really bad taste wanted to win a contest and get a shiny trophy to put on their mantlepiece. In the process, they created a major PR disaster for KIA which may cost them customers in the future. What really gets me is the people at Cannes; how could they award this piece of filth a with an ad award? Do those people have no moral standards (much less common sense)?

I hope KIA sues that ad agency back into the stone ages and finds a way to recover from this scandal. I'm sure you'll see this ad all over your local media soon. Don't fall for the media's hype and always remember to get the facts before you jump to conclusions.

edit on 6/24/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

"What really gets me is the people at Cannes; how could they award this piece of filth a with an ad award? Do those people have no moral standards (much less common sense)? "

Wow it says so much about people now days that things like this are winning awards! I so agree with your above statement! it seems like we are in some contest to see how low we can sink!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I don't see the problem. Seriously. The problem exists only inside your head.

This cartoon is funny and clever. Did it offend you? Get over it.

On the long list of things to get your panties in a bunch about, this cartoon is approximately number 900,000,780. Right between "Polo shirts with popped collars" and "people who say 'like' too much".

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
What's really troubling is that most MSM news stories on this don't bother to mention that the ad was made without KIA's knowledge.

Autoblog
Huff Post
BNET
Faux News
The Blaze

Its like the media is forming a lynch mod out to get KIA. It makes me wonder if KIA did something to raise TPTB's ire and this is payback for whatever they did.

edit on 6/24/11 by FortAnthem because: don't ask me why that last line is bolded. I can't find a [ b] anywhere in my post.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

More like xenophobic protectionism. Trying to get more American customer switching from foreign to local car brands.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
I would not go as far as to call it a pedophile ad but it does go a bit too far. It may have been OK a few years ago but today this just will not do.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeBoss

More like xenophobic protectionism. Trying to get more American customer switching from foreign to local car brands.

It reminds me of the fake cruise control scandal that Toyota was involved in last year. Maybe the media is conspiring to undermine the foreign auto market.

edit on 6/24/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by fixer1967
I would not go as far as to call it a pedophile ad but it does go a bit too far. It may have been OK a few years ago but today this just will not do.

I would.

The symbology of the "forbidden fruit" speaks for itself. He is tempted my the child.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

once again things are as they seem in the eye of the beholder. these are two separate cartoon panels with two very different sets of characters. one is depicting innocence, the other adult lust/want. but still they are two separate entities. risque? perhaps. but very out of place for this automobile manufacturer. while i have no love for KIA vehicles i have seen many of their advertisements. i seriously doubt the people at KIA were looking to cash in on the tiny bizarre niche paedophile market.

i think its safe to say another over-paid ad company just lost a cash cow client.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Argh, what were these freaks thinking?

And the sad thing is that this certainly isn't an isolated incident; stuff like this has been subtly promoted for a while now (and other times, not so subtly).

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AngryOne
Argh, what were these freaks thinking?

Scary, isn't it?

That there could be that many paedophiles out there, it's a market worth targeting.
edit on 24/6/11 by NuclearPaul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5d5ebda80d1f.jpg[/atsimg]

WoW! What does this mean?

Take a close look at the older teacher taking a bite from the apple.
He clearly has the FORKED TONGUE of a SERPENT!!!!

I will let others figure out the exact symbology here but i don't believe for a second that
KIA are innocent.
There is some twisted, insider narritive going on here.
Child abuse features highly among the upper echelons and i am sure
most are aware of the reptilian conspiracy and the level of control of,
and infiltration into, the movers and shakers of this world .

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

...In the process, they created a major PR disaster for KIA which may cost them customers in the future.

Who the heck in their right mind buys a Kia anyways?

Butt-ugly vehicles indeed...
edit on 24-6-2011 by pplrnuts because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
It's a strange ad, but it doesn't "promote paedophilia". A paedophile would not be imagining the right hand side... he has what he wants on the left. Strange ad nevertheless.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
According to the article, the ad agency that made the KIA ad is also responsible for this gem:

It really seems this agency is in a race to see how low they can sink. :shk:

They probably got an award for this ad too no doubt.

top topics

join