It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New York state just passed same sex marriage bill

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
Well it's about time....

Why should gay people be spared the misery and pain that marriage causes in us straight people?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:11 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Originally posted by timidgal

Originally posted by timidgal
reply to post by Jepic

Sigh... Not to those who feel validated by it. With that said, I respectfully understand your cynicism and agree that the magnitude of our stripped liberties can't begin to compare to the small gains; on that point you get no argument from me but you need to celebrate the small victories when you can or else EVERYTHING will be doom and gloom all the time.

Timidgal

It is no victory. Face the reality. You are just along the ride. They decide what gets passed. And how it plays into their hands.

Again, you give too little credit. We're all along for the ride, my friend, because we have no choice. With that, we'll just have to agree to disagree.

Timidgal

No. We have a choice. We damn straight have a choice. And it will be coming to your doorstep very soon.

It's called revolution.

Well then I better get some sleep as I wouldn't want to miss the call to arms...

Timidgal

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Dean Skelos allowed this bill an up or down vote in the New York State Senate. What is so great about that you might ask? He is the Majority Leader in the Senate and he is a Republican. Once again, what is so great about that? Well since Skelos is a Republican and Senate Majority Leader that means Republicans are the majority in New York State Senate by a lead of 32-26 so without support from Republicans plus the Republicans allowing it to be brought up for a vote the Gay Marriage bill would never have passed.

I am glad to see Democrats and Moderate Republicans working together on such an issue. While I personally support Civil Unions rather than outright marriage, a position I believe many New York Republicans would agree with, I would never vocally object to gay marriage either.

Good for New York and good for the New York Republican Party.

To all those people out there who want to vocally attack the right of gays to enter into civil unions or even marriage how about just respecting other individual's right to live life however they want. If two gay's getting into a union repulses you, so what? Mind your own business.
edit on 6/24/2011 by Misoir because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Doesn't repulse me at all, but a gay union is not marriage anymore than a battery can have two positive or negative terminals.
edit on 24-6-2011 by CobraCommander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Most valid point(s) made all evening, especially when you consider how important the religious constituency is to the Republican base. Major
to you (especially for your very appropriately worded ending).

Timidgal

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by CobraCommander
reply to post by Misoir

Doesn't repulse me at all, but a gay union is not marriage anymore than a battery can have two positive or negative terminals.

Sounds like a personal problem.

Name on Secular Government Legal License: Marriage.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

I was being facetious, but really, any reason we could have to validate gay marriage, we could also apply to incest. And if you say otherwise, you are being offensive to people who practice familial love behind closed doors.

There you go again, you say you're not a homophobe but your posts say otherwise.

Now you are equating gay people with incest. Next it'll be kitchen appliances!

Just like with the legalization of marijuana, gay marriage is just an eventuality, it's not a matter of if, just when, no use in arguing about it at this point. It's a good thing, let's get those things out of the way and move ahead as a country and deal with the real problems at hand.

edit on Sat Jun 25 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: large quote removed

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

The key there wasnt so much the question of whether or not any of this repulses you - but rather why you cant mind your business.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy

reply to post by Misoir

The key there wasnt so much the question of whether or not any of this repulses you - but rather why you cant mind your business.

And the answer to that should be obvious. Because he/she has an opinion and is SHAAAARING. IT.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by origamiandurbanism

There you go again, you say you're not a homophobe but your posts say otherwise.

Now you are equating gay people with incest. Next it'll be kitchen appliances!

Just like with the legalization of marijuana, gay marriage is just an eventuality, it's not a matter of if, just when, no use in arguing about it at this point. It's a good thing, let's get those things out of the way and move ahead as a country and deal with the real problems at hand.

Nothing I have said is homophobic.

I also didn't say anything about kitchen appliances. All I said was that any excuse to legalize gay marriage can also be said for incest marriage. If incest disgusts you, then you are a hypocrite.

And speak of "eventuality" all you want, but I think this is a political ruse and gay marriage in NY will be overturned.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

And the answer to that should be obvious. Because he/she has an opinion and is SHAAAARING. IT.

I get ya but how about the people who actually thwart a gay couples attempts at marriage? Those are the people I direct the previous comment towards

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

It is my business. I am a voter, taxpayer member of society, and caregiver of children. Unless of course you want to legalize drunk driving too. After all, it's none of your business unless you're a drunk driver.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Misoir

It is my business. I am a voter, taxpayer member of society, and caregiver of children. Unless of course you want to legalize drunk driving too. After all, it's none of your business unless you're a drunk driver.

The key difference should be obvious...

drunk driving affects us all, gay marriage does not.
cmon, its the "behind closed doors" rule of society...no?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Actually drunk drivers are the business of anyone they might potentially harm.

Are you under the impression being homosexual is akin to driving inebriated?

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join