It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It takes money to make money. Always.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
It makes me so mad, I scrounge up the money it takes to buy a course, only to find out that they are selling something. I save up over a hundred dollars to buy a SEO course, only to find out you need to shell out more money to make a few bucks. Buy my program, buy a domain, then pay rent on a server and hope you make money. I am willing to put in the work, but damn.... No wonder these SEO gurus are driving ferraris.... They hook you on a course, and want you to buy their programs, and then host sites want their piece of the pie too. I wish I started this when I was making a living, I would have laughed at the price. I am not making money now, except doing some work for family in season. I save enough money for a course, thinking hey, maybe I can make some money online, doing stuff I already love to do. Come to find out, unless you have an income already, you don't got a chance. I hate being negative, but hell....

I am trying my best to transfer from busting my ass physically, to making money off my creativity... Nothing I try is ever good enough! Am I cursed, probably. I am just so sick of everything right now. I do "the right thing" over and over and keep getting screwed. I invested in a house, renovated it, and when it was about 3/4 paid off it got repossessed. That was supposed to be the safest investment, and blew up in my face.

I am falling back into a slump, and I don't know what to do to stop the downward spiral. I thought I had a job for the spring to fall, but it turns out the foreman is retarded or something. He only wants to hire morons that don't know the first thing about carpentry for framing, train them until they do know what they are doing, then fire them. I was over qualified I guess, I know how to use a skill saw, a chop saw, and a table saw, and was willing to bust my ass. I hate canada so much, people are so backwards here. They talk for more than half the day, instead of working!

I am just so confused, I am used to getting paid per SQ foot, not per hour. And the per hour pay up here is retarded. I just see as trying to pretend you are working, to be dishonest. I guess if I am to survive in this backwards place, I better get good at acting like I am working really well. Get as little done as possible, to stretch jobs as far as they will go. Maybe I should just check my conscience at the door.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
who's going to hire someone who's going to make them look bad, or take their job.

if you want to work that way, start on your own and from the bottom, until you reputation makes you bigger and you can challenge those guys.

people like to hire the best.
edit on 24-6-2011 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Good luck on getting paid for being creative. Most of the world has to work for a living. The world needs ditch diggers and carpenters more than they need artists. If you are truly creative and good at it, you should have no problems getting work or at the very least starting out. Can't expect to start at the top though without some good references or a nice resume.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Lifes lesson or Rule#1 "If it sounds too good to be true; it probably is."

Make thousands of dollars online picking your nose!" Ours site works for you 24/7 drop shipping dried nostril foliage...!"lol:

riiiiight...

My heart lies with you I figure I will eventully find my creative calling and make a comfortable income for myself.
Til then ever hear of starving artists???They are more common than you'd think.
Nothing succeeds without "perseverance".

:
edit on 24-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaDe_

How come us master carpenters are sitting on our ass then? I would really rather make my living, doing what I have always done. I only tried to branch out after sitting home, doing nothing. I even tried to "broaden my horizens" and applied to a # factory job. I was "too qualified" to get the position.....

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

I never had the idea of doing nothing and making money cross my mind. I am willing to put in work, in fact my idea was to review human improvement books. I was willing to listen or read a whole book per week, and tell people if it was worth buying or not.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

People around here do not like to hire the best apparently. They like to hire idiots, and when they are no longer idiots, fire them. The business seems to be assbackwards here, which confuses me a whole lot. Back in the US we got paid for preductivity...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Do you have all of your own tools and insurance and such to be qualified to work independently in your state? I am also a carpenter by trade, and I found that working independently was much more profitable as opposed to working for someone. I started by taking small sub contract work, and advertising on places like Craigslist to get supplemental work. I am sure the work is there you just have to find it.

ETA: If you have any small retirement areas near you those are usually gold mines for small odd jobs. I did one job in a neighborhood and by word of mouth through the other retirees in the area got probably between 15 and 20 additional small jobs. Also it is cheap to print up small flyers and hand them out in areas like that too. They all stick stuff like that to their refrigerators because they are retired and most don't want to do repair work anymore.

edit on 6/24/2011 by SpaDe_ because: add info

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I agree with you, it takes money to make money definitely. I've worked constantly for minimum wage for years and am still having trouble coping and surviving and it always seems that lottery winners and those who "get lucky" and win cash prizes to get their foot on the ladder and make as much money as the high earners already had plenty of money in the first place.

I wanna use my creativity to make money for myself and to release music but first of all I'll need money to have the equipment to have the ability to record music so where do I get that?

Ridiculous how this world works.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Maybe I am having my resolve tested or something, I don't know. This sets me back a month or two, I will save up for a domain name, and a years worth of server rent. In the meantime I can just write reviews in an open office document, and work on the overall design. Get all the graphics made up and all that kind of stuff. Probably better that way I guess, that way once I am renting server space, the site will get up and running quickly, and I am not wasting money.

Me and my father are partners in our business. In the tristate area when the real estate market was booming all we did was hardwood floors. We were booked sometimes up to a year in advance, our names were known to a lot of top end builders and renovators. Starting all over from the bottom does suck, we have done a few jobs for next to nothing, to get our name out there. We gave out a crapload of business cards to all the hardware type stores within a two hour radius of us, advertise on kajiji.

I do have work for at least some of the summer doing landscaping for my uncle, since it is family I am not charging much. I make enough to take care of weekly expenses at least. If someone had told me 6 years ago that I would have to pinch pennies to save up a hundred bucks I would have laughed. Life is funny like that I guess, big change can happen in a blink of an eye.

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Almost anyone selling "search engine optimization" or "social networking experise" or anything like that is probably a scam like Herbalife or Amway. A pyramid scheme. You shell out all this money and you get to feel good from their psychologically-carefully-constructed speeches and little scammy verbal tricks, but there is never any substance. Perhaps you will be tapped to sell books or materials or "starter kits" or something else. Congrats, you've joined the multilevel marketing pyramid.

This whole area of the economy exists for one reason: To strip gullable people of their money.Run away.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
This should of been obvious.

Forget internet businesses UNLESS YOU KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. The time for geek entrepreneurs is over, and the make money schemes are nothing but scams. These people prey on hope.

Put your hope in something else please.
edit on 2011/6/27 by SteveR because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Partygirl

Is it really that bad? I would think that building a website, that is streamlined to sites like google would be a benefit as far as making some money. Making it easier for their drones to index your site should be a plus, no? Who doesn't use google this day and age?

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I used to put my hope in my trade, which I am great at. That failed me. What should I put my hope in then? Being able to make people's hardwood floors be beautiful, and shine like a piece of furnature used to put food on my table. Now even combining that, with general carpentry, tilework trimwork has failed to do so for over a year. We keep pushing the boundaries, working 10-12 hour work days, when work comes along slaps us in the face... What should I put my faith in? A bullet in my head to end this insanity?

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

I strongly suggest you don't invest any more of your money (and time for that matter) in any internet business. Find practical, real life opportunities. Keep looking. And if you already have a trade sometimes it is a case of proper advertisement. I liked someone's suggestion earlier in this thread about finding work in retirement communities, I think that would offer some consistent income on the side.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

I doubt that... Trick is, coming up with something NEW and ORIGINAL, like the Facebook guy did for example.

This was way after the dot com bubble burst.

However, you aren't going to hit it big in this area without programming and your own idea.

I'd recommend the advice of your fellow carpenter...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

Problem is, this is canada. People generally retire into the house they live at. If they can afford it buy a trailer or a timeshare or cottage in FL, and escape from the cold winters. The only retirement communities I have heard of around here are nursing homes.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

I have plenty of ideas for sure, I am going to go through with them all. I may lose a bit of money, but hell, won't be the first time for sure. Can't win if you don't take any risks. If I can even make a site that generates enough traffic to pay for the server space and name, it will be a learning experience at least. If it totally sinks, oh well, perhaps I will learn something from that as well.

At the very least, I set a goal, carried out the goal. It will be a moral boost.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:41 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

Reading through this thread once more... You seem pretty shielded from other people's advice and ideas, and stubborn with your own perspective. Perhaps this is how you got into difficulty in the first place?

Just a thought.

posted on Jul, 6 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by SteveR

No actually the opposite. I been letting the naysayers drag me down to their level most of my life. I am done with that

I don't know where I would be had I chose to take out a loan and go to college instead of "doing the right thing" and going into the family business. I can't change the past to find out, but I am done letting other people effect me like that.

Jeesh, I cannot type today, must be the insomnia catching up to me.
edit on Wed, 06 Jul 2011 09:49:51 -0500 by TKDRL because: (no reason given)

top topics

join