It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Past, Present, and Future of News Reporting...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
I was sitting outside, enjoying the thrill of a REAL COORS East of the Mississippi(if you know what I mean), on a nice summer evening as the sun was going down. (tonight) I started to think about how things were when I was a kid growing up and how things have changed. Really Changed!

When I was growing up, my parents watched the news in the morning before going to work(they had good paying jobs back then), and again at 10pm before watching Johnny Carson. The news was accurate for our area and really told what was going on. So was the weather report +/- a little. There was no HAARP, no terror threats, Pat downs at the air port,or nuke plants in danger of melt down every other month even tho they were there.

We weren't worried about volcanoes erupting, tsunamis, or Big Brother watching our every move. Our Social Security card was something private. We were told NEVER to give the number out to anyone. Now you can't go anywhere without it! When I was raising my kids, I found myself following similar patterns of behavior as my parents before me, and then watching Leno instead of Carson. Overall things were pretty much the same.

Now, I find myself in a new world where I check ATS first thing in the morning, forget the MSM news, and check "Dutchsinse Channel" for the latest "weather report according to HAARP for the next 24-48 hours". Maybe that's the way the new world will go. We will check here to see what is really going on in the world and then find out the HAARP weather/earthquake/ eruption forecast for the day. The old fashioned news and weather reports don't seem to apply anymore. Anyway had to express my thoughts. Does anybody else feel this way?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

i remember when most places in No.NJ didn't carry Coors. they would tell us it had to be refrigerated during shipment and that made it cost prohibitive. i suspect that was BS.

my elderly Mom still watches the news three times a day but it isn't the better quality reporting she used to get. major TV channel news from NYC focuses primarily on Manahttan/the five boroughs, as if the rest of the world doesn't exist. sadder still is how so many 'news' programs these days are smiling bobblehead clucking chickens tossing out their opinions as if anyone really gives a damn. many current news shows are more like People Magazine or The National Enquirer. Celebrity gossip, trends, mindless drivel.

seems like real TV news reporting has gone the way of family and Church on Sunday. senior citizens like my Mom make up the largest body of voters in America. and they are no longer given real news stories. i've noticed the major Cable TV news reporters have really changed too. NPR is one of the few info sources i trust (on radio) but my wife has grown tired of my rants after hearing the news

i'm thankful we have the Internet. even then one has to exercise care and good judgement.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

Ahhh, the good ol' days. Only 13 channels and the local paper.

Now, we are deluged with info, 24/7. It can be overwhelming if you allow it.

I just try to filter it. That's all you can do.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Thanks for your comments. I remember too that Coors could not be sold east of the Mississippi because of the refrigeration issue. That's why it was SO nice to enjoy a cold one last night! Not sure how they got it but I'm not going to question that one!

I think you were right that news is changing and the old style is fading away. I kind of miss the old days when the big stuff was discussed on the news and things like Casey Anthony stayed in the court room. Guess I'm showing my age. Thanks again for stopping by. Have a great day! Nice post! Stay safe

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You are showing your age! lol! You were lucky if you were getting 13 channels. We only got 4 and it was in black and white with lots of snow! I've noticed that where I live, we Don't have 24/7 news any more either. It was like that a few years ago, but now the news stops at 10pm even on CNN and we get prerecorded shows like Dr. Drew or Nancy Grace instead. Black out?? Don't know
Times they are a changin! Thanks so much for stopping by and sharing! Be safe and have a nice day!

new topics

top topics

join