It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Giant asteroid to 'narrowly miss' Earth

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Giant asteroid to 'narrowly miss' Earth

www.telegraph.co.uk

A newly discovered asteroid the size of an office block will narrowly miss the Earth on Monday - coming 23 times closer than the moon.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 24/6/11 by Freedom_is_Slavery because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
The space rock will reach within 11,000 miles of the surface and give off a light bright enough to be seen through a small telescope, experts said today.
It was only spotted on Wednesday by a robotic telescope in New Mexico that scans the skies for such hazards. An alert was then put out yesterday by the International Astronomical Union's Minor Planet Center in Massachusetts.

www.telegraph.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Already posted.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

20 meters across is not a giant asteroid.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
fear mongering caught red handed!

"Asteroid 2011 MD is estimated to be between 10 and 50 yards wide.

UK asteroid expert, Dr Emily Baldwin, said: "We are certain that it will miss us, but if it did enter the atmosphere, an asteroid this size would mostly burn up in a brilliant fireball, possibly scattering a few meteorites." ops link

vs

"Giant asteroid to 'narrowly miss' Earth"

fearmonger me some more
edit on 24-6-2011 by seedofchucky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
11,000 miles? hmmm.......CNN said 3500 or so. at any rate, i'm not too worried about it hitting. if something truly were to hit us, we wouldn't hear of it.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Already posted.

True, but I wouldn't like it landing on MY house, especially if I was home at the time.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by backinblack

True, but I wouldn't like it landing on MY house, especially if I was home at the time.

Yeah, but it has to hit somewhere though.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seedofchucky

fearmongering indeed my friend...

this is the worst one i have ever seen though... from our good old friend the sun...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa1e0970d5db.jpg[/atsimg]

the sun

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Spacewheather.com says 7500 mi. Either way not too big would break up passing through the atmosphere so were good but indeed intresting!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Misleading title. 20 meters is not giant. Not sure if I would even call it an asteroid. Maybe a large meteor.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

That's pretty big.. It was definitely mess things up. It'd be like a nuke of incredible size. Likely bigger than any we've created (including tsar).

edit on 24-6-2011 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   
I hope a nice sized chunk falls on my lawn.

If I survive, I'll be rich.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
you pretty much can guarantee a link to the telegraph.uk contains a tabloid article.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Is it really fearmongering though? I just call it a tabloid headline intended to draw the reader into checking out the article myself.

2nd

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Already posted.

Well this one was 50 meters and hit with force of 10 megatons so based on that 20 meters would work out to able 4 megatons. Not world ending by no means but that would still cause a lot of damage if it hit in the right place.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6/24/2011 by fixer1967 because: spelling

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Thats hilarious.

I`m confused though,if the Sun had that pic on the front page of a newspaper it would sell more newspapers imo, but online?

Either way if people got into a panic over that pic they would never trust the Sun again come monday.

Whats the point.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Well that is not a big deal, but thanks for posting it.

The “Asteroid 2005 YU55” makes me worry for sometimes, especially disagreements between US and Russian astronomers about its path.

www.compassnewspaper.com...:-us-russia-fight-over-asteroid-that-could-destroy-earth&catid=308:he adlines&Itemid=600

Scary.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:21 AM
link   
It's pretty close... close enough to change its orbit because of Earth's gravity... Maybe next pass it will hit

Better title...

Bend it Like Beckham! Small Asteroid to Whip Past Earth on June 27, 2011

Near-Earth asteroid 2011 MD will pass only 12,000 kilometers (7,500 miles) above the Earth's surface on Monday June 27 at about 9:30 EDT. The asteroid was discovered by the LINEAR near-Earth object discovery team observing from Socorro, New Mexico. The diagram on the left shows the trajectory of 2011 MD projected onto the Earth's orbital plane over a four-day interval. The diagram on the left gives another view from the general direction of the Sun that indicates that 2011 MD will reach its closest Earth approach point in extreme southern latitudes (in fact over the southern Atlantic Ocean). This small asteroid, only 5-20 meters in diameter, is in a very Earth-like orbit about the Sun, but an orbital analysis indicates there is no chance it will actually strike Earth on Monday. The incoming trajectory leg passes several thousand kilometers outside the geosynchronous ring of satellites and the outgoing leg passes well inside the ring. One would expect an object of this size to come this close to Earth about every 6 years on average. For a brief time, it will be bright enough to be seen even with a modest-sized telescope.

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 25-6-2011 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I hope it hits the hell out of us. Only if it has the zombie virus on it, though. Man, I've been waiting years for that.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   
Glad to know they can detect asteroids of this size.

Helps me to sleep at night.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join