It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Disturbing information about my ISP (Internet Service Provider)

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Jessica6

Since the 90s I've read that one should never assume email is private, it's more like a postcard than a letter, only it stays in the post-office as well as going to your mailbox. Technology is a honey trap - it makes things so much easier for us but enables more control at the same time.

Yes..everything has become an open postcard , with the help of this convenient technology. With all the information that is processed through the net , even if you don't do banking via net, or even use a pc, tons of private information is out there for whoever can ,and would access it.

ChaoticDisorder was one member who actually posted that she felt nothing was wrong with breaking into someones system just to have a "look around" ,if you caused no damage, and you were actually doing that person a favor by exposing their vulnerability. I can only hope that many will walk through her home, poking at things, reading all her private papers ,just to find out how things work and then leave, not actually doing any harm. Here is her quote

Incorrect. There is nothing immoral about hacking into a system to understand how it works, as long as you don't do any damage.

Computer technology,and the internet has wreaked major havoc on any type of privacy, even for those who choose not to have one in their homes. Their information is still out there for many to access.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
Yes..everything has become an open postcard , with the help of this convenient technology.

It can be worse than you think. Quite some time ago I was shown some of my emails that I had sent from work. Not all of them, but the guy had a real nice sampling of about two years worth of our outgoing email.

Grant you, it's sort of a special case with us, but it was a bit disturbing.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Get a VPN. Paid, not free; and preferably foreign.
It's like a condom for your internets, they can't get in and your junk cant get out.

Here's some good options:
* www.swissvpn.net...
* perfect...­privacy.com
* www.ipredator.se...
* www.anonine.se...
* www.vpntunnel.se...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

OP, I can verify this except my ISP is Comcast Cable. If what you are stating has happened with your ISP is true then we have 2 seperate sources from 2 different ISP's.

I, like the OP, also have an offsite web hosting provider that is seperate from my ISP. I was able to send and receive email and then one day, about a month ago, sending email just stopped. Everytime I tryed to send an email from my webhost email address I was getting kicked back email errors. Receiving was fine but send just would not work.

My fix? I have to set my outbound connections for my webhost email to Comcasts server setting instead of my webhosts. Sending email works just fine now but any email that is sent now gets funneled through Comcast Cable first.

So the OP is on to something here. Seems like the ISP's are starting to have all outgoing email funneled through them so they can keep an "eye" on it.

This is very disturbing news.
edit on 25-6-2011 by Grimbone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
Thanks for posting. S&F.

Not surprised, in the least. All you did is confirm what we've all thought, all along. That we are constantly being spied on, and our rights to privacy mean absolutely jack sh:t. What evs.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Grimbone
So the OP is on to something here. Seems like the ISP's are starting to have all outgoing email funneled through them so they can keep an "eye" on it.

Actually, it's sort of what RFC4409 is for.

Port 25 used to be for sending any sort of email. But spammers could originate email with faked headers pretty easily that way, and obscure the sender.

Port 587 is now for the origination of email - as email enters the system for delivery, 587 should be set up to require you to provide some sort of authentication - typically a password and user ID issued by the ISP. After the email's in the system, it's sent by port 25 relay between trusted ISPs.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
ISPs are also returning fake DNS results for spyware servers to curcumvent any firewall blocks for IP addresses and Google kicks out to private IP addresses if it can not call home.

Both need taking down a peg or two and the only way to realy do that is to build our own underground internet.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MallardDuck

So when you set up a VPN tunnel you are trusting and super authenticating with the VPN provider.

Here is a little more info about commercial VPN solutions.

blog.tuvpn.com...

you are reading about the key used during the authentication phase of the communication.

The analogy of a server at a restaurant is better than any kind of house analogy. The server takes your orders, knows what you like to eat, handles your credit card information etc. If you are paranoid about things like a middleman keeping carbons of your credit card information, take the time to prepare your own home cooked meals.

When there is a middleman keeping copies of *everything* passed between two parties it is impossible to create a private connection. If you are looking for a more private encryption you would obviously need a separate secure channel to exchange keys. See the NSA museum information about SIGSALY for example.

In practice how many ISP's would misuse this situation to expose or sell copies of information though?

posted on Jul, 2 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Bordon81

Which brings up another point that might be off-topic in my own thread - when I changed web hosts, my volume of spam rose dramatically. Such a high volume in fact, that it can't just be attributable to different spam filters between the old and new hosts. They had to have SOLD my information to these parasites.

Fothermuckers.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
A week or so ago I had a sudden issue with my email, and did a bit of investigating, which yielded some refreshingly honest, but disturbing answers from my website host.

First, a primer for those of you who are less than technically familiar:

ISP: Internet Service Provider. This is the company that hooks up the physical internet connection to your house. For me, that company is Qwest -- soon to be "Century Link".

Web Host: This is the company that provides server space for my websites, and also email services for same. They shall remain nameless in this post.

Sometimes these two functions are handled by the same company. For me they are not.

Now on to my point:

My email suddenly stopped working. Specifically, I could receive mail but I was getting errors when I sent email. The first thing I did was check that my modem was working, and I replicated the problem on a different computer with a different email address. Same problem. This eliminated any problems on my end of things. So - I called my host, the ones who provide email services. I figured they were having email server problems.

So I sent an email trouble ticket to their tech support, and the following snips are emails that we exchanged. Some parts have been redacted for privacy reasons:

Hello,
I can't get email to send from (email address). I haven't changed any settings in Outlook, so I must assume that it isn't connecting to your mail server somehow. I am able to GET mail but not SEND it.

Reply from web host:

Thank you for contacting us. I just tested your account and it works normally for. If you are able to receive mail and not send out its possible your ISP is blocking port 25. We recommend that you try changing the port to 587. If this still does not work then we recommend that you contact the ISP as they might require that you use their outbound mail server.

Okay, so I tried that and sent this response:

This problem exists on two computers, two different email accounts on (domain). This started happening this morning. I changed nothing. I'll try changing the port, but this is not something I caused.

The ISP is Qwest. They are going through a change of hands.. Might be something to that. If you get this message, it means it worked.

And then the plot thickens:

A lot of companies are doing it. Some are blocking alternate ports as well which forces you to use their specific outbound mail server. It allows them to monitor every single email you send. You might consider letting them know of your displeasure.

What?? Then I pressed for more information, thinking they'd fall silent on the issue going forward:

Monitor, as in eavesdrop?

And the confirmation from them:

Thank you for following up. Monitor as in they can view any unencrypted message.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Now call me paranoid, but was I wrong to be alarmed at this information? Is there something to it? I do not want my emails being read by my ISP. I know the NSA does it without my consent already, but peons at my ISP having access? Them giving access to whoever they feel deserves it?

Sorry, I think this is a little bit intrusive. A little too "Big Brother". Has anyone else experienced this? Is this even legal?

The United States Government has been conducting such activities for a while. The earliest form I can recall was the carnivore program implemented by the F.B.I. Regardless of ISP, it's all monitored, for the most part

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Nothing new here.

If you don't want somebody reading your email just create the document outside of your email program and encrypt it & attach it to your message. The message is readable, but not the attachment.

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
We always understood 10-15 years ago that you had to assume that nothing was private anymore. Nothing. If you use cordless phones, internet etc, everything was up for grabs always. No reasonable expectation of personal privacy could be expected any longer. It started way back when they started selling "Police Radios" in the late 50's and early 60s.

For "fun", the average person could listen to Police and Fire calls...and they should have been private I assume. But the industry began selling them like hotcakes...then cell phone and cordless home phones could be heard by your neighbors or whomever. It snowballed from there. I guess we just assumed from then on, no phone calls, or anything else was really "private'. Thats why Im surprised so many here are just realizing it.

As long as we all use the radio frequencies and Wi-Fi and cable lines....which are the only ways to communicate anyway...we have to understand anyone can get a hold of the transmissions and communiqes etc. Something the government has been doing all along.

There are no fixes that cant be picked up on, bounced over, copied or listened in on.
edit on 22-7-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: grammar

PS And we do have to realize the gov's are very good at this. The private sectors as well. They pay some very smart folks to do these things, and are one and sometimes 3 or 10...steps ahead of us and our "solutions".
edit on 22-7-2011 by LazloFarnsworth because: !

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by AwakeinNM

Hello OP,

you are correct that the NSA supposedly monitors emails/phone calls etc..this is nothing new and we know this for decades already.

But in regards to your ISP...here are some remarks:

* I myself never had an ISP which blocked incoming ports (this includes ISPs in the states as well as ISPs in EU). If i would know that an ISP blocks ports or protocols i would certainly make sure to change the ISP. As said, i do NOT think its common to do that.

* I personally have never used my ISP's email features although i am aware that all/most ISPs actually provide web space and emails. But in many, many years i never used any of this.

* Since you (like me) seem to be experienced with web hosting, i mean you can buy a GOOD web hosting for barely $3/month which includes everything including emails, POP3 access, SMTP etc.

You can then simply create email accounts on the web hosting and can use them in Outlook etc. as your mail server, create unlimited accounts etc... so why would you want to use your ISPs email if you have a zillion of alternatives?

Alternatively, what about yahoo, hotmail, gmail etc.

I have my doubts that Google employs people who spent time every day to read millions of people's emails..sorry, absurd thought. Of course, there are bots etc. in place (NSA) scanning for "suspicious keywords" worldwide...but as said this is nothing new.

If you'd have "extreme sensitive emails" you wouldnt use emails/internet in the first place...and then there is still encryption programs like PGP.
edit on 22-7-2011 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Well... "they" have to be able to read our mail!!! How else would they be able to tell if you were planning to take a box cutter on an airplane?

Thank you Patriot Act!!!

posted on Jul, 22 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by AwakeinNM
Anyone out there have information?

YEAH

Your ISP is sending out fake DNS results to help spyware servers still monitor you're movements.

Looks like these spyware servers must be paying out ISP''s a lot more then we pay and this is the reason the likes of Rover.ebay.com is not blocked closer to the source.

Google is past a joke when it comes to spying

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join