It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

History Begins at Sumer: Thirty-nine Firsts in Recorded History

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by Harte

i seem to recall reading somewhere about India or thereabouts
being a possible location for Dilmun.

hopes it wasn't in one of Sitchin's books

I know of what you say because I heard it on Ancient Aliens

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   
When looking at the pictures of those statues they made, did anyone else notice the alien-like eyes?

Not trying to suggest anything here - merely an observation

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit
When looking at the pictures of those statues they made, did anyone else notice the alien-like eyes?

I second that. For a culture that I just read was heralded for their life-like art statues of kings and people why are the eyes huge black circles? They didn't even try to make an eyeball and pupil.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by undo
sumerian, circa 4000 BC
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/03988f46ed432cca.jpg[/atsimg]

According to ancient myths, these skeletal sculptures represent the moai kavakava, deified ancestral beings, bearers of knowledge, dispensors of wisdom and technology.

Moai Kava Kava-Easter Island

Adena Pipe Man

edit on 27-6-2011 by Logarock because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Did the book mention the world's oldest joke?

Researchers believe it was then that the world's oldest joke, an ancient Sumerian proverb, was cracked: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

Read More www.birminghampost.net...

Possibly dates as early as 2300 BC. I know, that's not really Sumerian. But it's the oldest one we got.

Harte

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by DerepentLEstranger

sumeru=meru (hindu).
holy mount sumeru is the same as the holy mount meru. although holy mounts were pyramids/ziggurats.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

the statue i linked, is made from terra cotta. i dunno if he was painted or not, but i'm assuming a color photograph would show him as red skinned. ...like an egyptian.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

maybe they are the 1st instance

of manga eyes.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I am starting to think that Sumerians and Mayans are all related somehow. There is a possibility that the Gilgamesh story is talking about their past that they witnessed first hand. Could the Sumerians be direct descendants of Atlantis?

According to the theory, Atlantis was wiped off the map by a flood or a tsunami. Maybe the ones that survived went on to create Sumer and the Mayan empire. If Atlantis was advanced the the remaining people would hold some knowledge of their past. That would explain how they built Sumer with schools, roads, and etc.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Equinox99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:53 AM
link   
As some others have pointed out- Sumerian's were pre-flood- aka 10-14k BC. What he is talking about is Ancient Babylonia. 2500BC. Huge Difference in culture, myths, Gods, and evolution. Im sure he is using the term loosely, but still there is a difference.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   
You should also read "Voyages of the Pyramid Builders" by Robert M Schoch.

Amazon link

The Amazon Review:

The great pyramids of Egypt provide a wonderful glimpse of the artistry, skill and imagination of the ancient world. But pyramids can be found in India, China, Peru, Bolivia, Mexico and Ireland. In this provocative book, geologist Schoch (noted for his work in redating the Sphinx, which was recounted in his Voices of the Rocks) wonders how so many diverse cultures built such similar structures with similar purposes. Using geological, linguistic and geographical evidence, he contends that a protocivilization of pyramid-building peoples was driven out of its homeland, the Sundaland, which geologists believe connected Southeast Asia with Indonesia, by a rise in sea level caused by comet activity between 6000 and 4000 B.C. Fleeing their homeland, these peoples took their knowledge of pyramid building with them into Sumeria, Mesopotamia, Egypt, China and Peru. Schoch hypothesizes that the pyramids were built to reach into the skies and to penetrate the mystery of the heavens, source of catastrophe. Schoch also asserts that the pyramids point to unity and symbolize the deep concerns shared by all humans. Schoch builds his engrossing case on geological details of the pyramid sites he has examined around the world. In the end, however, even he admits his evidence of a Sundaland protocivilization is speculative. As controversial as this book is bound to be, Schoch's evocation of the pyramids forcefully reminds us of their enduring power as monuments to the spirit of human creativity.

I just finished reading this book. It included information I had not come across before. The author also seems to have a dry sense of humour which made this book more enjoyable than the usual dry manner that these type of books employ.

BTW - this isn't a book trying to prove the existence of Atlantis - the author only uses the word "Atlantis" twice in the whole book that I can remember. ;D

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

can't remember at the moment
but is sumeru associated with the World-axis as meru is? [churning of the Soma]
that would pretty much clinch it nice spotting that

edit on 28-6-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by undo

can't remember at the moment
but is sumeru associated with the World-axis as meru is? [churning of the Soma]
that would pretty much clinch it nice spotting that

edit on 28-6-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: (no reason given)

yeah but i don't think it means what you think it means.

(churning of the soma that is). i read this lengthy book by a gentleman who thinks the churn is the precession of the equinoxes. my theory differs from his quite a bit. i think it's the same thing as tiamat, the chaotic water (and it depicts it in their old art as a whirlpool), and that tiamat the chaos water (dragon), is a part of the abzu (the abyss), and the abyss, is the bottomless pit of the bible, and even the lake of fire (i think they mistranslated it and originally it would've read more like glowing water, translators just didn't have a word for it at the time, that would fit it better (ancient egyptians also have a lake of fire reference, and images of it prove it isn't literal fire).

and that there was a super fast cram session of my theories on how mount meru/mount sumeru, is connected to ancient sumer and biblical eden.

if you want to read an odd discussion on the topic of eden, see this really old thread i created and spent most of my time arguing with a former member of ATS, as the meaning of E.DEN and if it was the same as E.DIN.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 28-6-2011 by undo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

just wanted to confirm the axis mundi/world tree connection which would confirm common origin of word's

no soma required

let's not forget how concepts like the good guys and the bad guys often change through time for religious politacal expediency

like the Devas in hinduism vs zoroastrianism

later found a root kit on a customers PC and need the bandwidth and the mouse

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by TXRabbit

I'm fairly sure plenty of people have made the comparison. I think I've seen pictures on internet of a so called Sumerian statue & the statue looked reptilian. If the statue really is Sumerian, awe crap

edit on 29-6-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harte
Did the book mention the world's oldest joke?

Researchers believe it was then that the world's oldest joke, an ancient Sumerian proverb, was cracked: "Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband's lap."

Read More www.birminghampost.net...

Possibly dates as early as 2300 BC. I know, that's not really Sumerian. But it's the oldest one we got.

Harte

sweet find and thanks for posting it! Now that's a historic first I wanna read about here!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join