It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

When the SHTF, Are You Coming to Canada?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Thought I would ask the question since I have seen many posts of people saying that they are getting ready to leave the US with the current political and economic issues that are coming forth.

Many have just stated "Time to get out!" or something along those lines and as Canada seems to be the closest and easiest for assimilation, are you thinking of coming here?

I'm not trying to start a Canada vs America thread here as I honestly believe we all want the same things deep down, but I am curious as to what people are planning when the SHTF. I am also not suggesting Canada in any way. That would be a personal choice.

I have heard a lot of Canadians actually stating the same desires for various reasons. Some being that we will be going down the same road as the US and that's a very credible theory. Others because of taxes and still others worried about climate change. So Americans are apparently not alone in the "Get Out Now" plans.

Where would you go? What are your choices and why?

According to www.expatify.com... these are the easiest places for an American to live as an Expat:

Notice that Canada isn't on the list? My guess is taxes. Yup, we got that in abundance.

10. Costa Rica
9. South Africa
8. Mexico
7. Spain
6. Brazil
5. Italy
4. Australia
3. Czech Republic
2. Thailand
1. Argentina

And for other criteria we have these lists:

www.bidstrup.com...

Cities by Cost Of Living:
Rank, City, Country
NO Canada Here

1. Tokyo, Japan
2. Osaka, Japan
3. London, United Kingdom
4. Moscow, Russia
5. Seoul, South Korea
6. Geneva, Switzerland
7. Zurich, Switzerland
8. Copenhaen, Denmark
9. Hong Kong, Hong Kong
10. Oslo, Norway

Countries By Quality Of Life
Rank, Country, Score (1-10)
NO Canada Here

1. Ireland 8.333
2. Switzerland 8.068
3. Norway 8.051
4. Luxembourg 8.015
5. Sweden 7.937
6. Australia 7.925
7. Iceland 7.911
8. Italy 7.81
9. Denmark 7.796
10. Spain 7.727

See the entire list of 111 Countries here:
www.bidstrup.com...

Honestly, I don't understand the list but there it is. For example, Seoul was so much cheaper for me to live than Canada as I ate locally and didn't live in a Western style house. But each to their own.

Countries with the Best Health Care

Retiring abroad has undeniable appeal, and a big consideration is medical care. Here are countries that ranked highest for access to quality health care:

Canada made this list!

www.dailykos.com...

1. France
2. Belgium
3. Bahrain
4. Germany
5. Switzerland
6. South Africa
7. Thailand
8. Spain
9. Canada
10.Saudi Arabia

So what would be your choice? Many of course are choosing to stay because of various reasons. Family, Finances, Age, Patriotism etc. All good reasons. But for those planning on leaving...where are you thinking of landing...and what are your reasons?

Just curious...Thanks

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm going to Australia. I'm going there because I have friends that maybe able to help me

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
I'm going to Australia. I'm going there because I have friends that maybe able to help me

As good a reason as any!

When and why are you leaving?

edit on 24-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Hell yes.
2nd.
No money to go anywhere else.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack
Hell yes.
2nd.

Got it.

Another reason as good as any. I believe that will be a common post here.

edit on 24-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I plan heading to Panama. It's near the equator, and a vital trade route that will always be needed and used. Unless it is destroyed in which case I plan to head to Peru. Seems like a geological safe area to me.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by QpenMinded
I plan heading to Panama. It's near the equator, and a vital trade route that will always be needed and used. Unless it is destroyed in which case I plan to head to Peru. Seems like a geological safe area to me.

Could be a good choice. Have you checked out the ease of access to take up residence?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   
If worst comes to worst, it would be to late to go anywhere.
So unless you will make your move now, and I mean "now" - stay where you are, same thing.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Stingray77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
I have put some thought and real research into this question. It's been as much out of idle curiosity as anything serious, but I've still come to a couple conclusions for myself. First, there is nowhere I'd still want to go that would have me as an American who isn't literally sitting on a small pile of cash. I'd looked at both Australia and New Zealand and both have some rather steep barriers to immigration in the legal way, and I've spent too many years disliking illegal immigration in the US to become one myself, elsewhere.

Second though and perhaps more important is the realization that there really is nowhere on Earth better off than we are, even to the end. Likewise, when the U.S. collapses under the terrible financial mismanagement of recent years (and decades, truth be told), the rest of the world will get worse as a direct result of it. Say what anyone will about the U.S. doing this..or doing that...but in the end, no other nation gives as freely and openly (even if it's corrupt as hell in many ways) as the U.S. does....so.. Why leave? It only gets worse out there in the rest of the world too. Happy thoughts huh?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

After college. I'm still in High School. Why? Well I believe that the US is on it's path to falling into a Second Depression and/or a Second Civil War

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I have considered it, I have family in Alberta and B.C., but I think Canada would simply be a staging point for movement to other parts of the globe. I say this mostly because I agree with the statement " as the US goes, so goes Canada- eventually".

If the recent recession taught us anything, it should have taught us that Europe is no haven from problems in the US. The two are just too interconnected. So Europe is out.

S has already HTF in Africa, and is continuing to HTF for the foreseeable future. And the infrastructure (permanent things like roads and bridges) is non-existent. People there are too used to killing others, almost blase about it. So Africa is out.

My money is on heading south. Waaaaay south!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'm heading nowhere my family was in this country before it became a country and we'll be here when it stops being a country. And the way I see it after the patriots get everything straightened out all the people who ran off don't bother coming back this country didn't need you after all.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

No because i live in uk.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by gavlar1974
reply to post by jude11

No because i live in uk.

That's ok, we won't hold that against you.

Seriously tho, are you planning on staying there? The current issues are Global and the UK is so closely tied to what happens in the US.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I would but I am EXTREMELY cold natured and I don't think I would survive there..Hell...Illinois is too chilly for me..I would most likely be heading to a warmer climate..but who knows? Canada is closer

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Once all you smart aware people leave the US....

I'm gonna take over all the sheep and rule the US! yeah!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

im in canada and ill live in this country forever porbably. if it gets really bad politicaly or economicaly in here theres plentlky of places in the wilderness to go wait it out, until it becomes stable again

link   
No. It is too cold and there are way to many gun restrictions. Coming after the s has htf, is way to late.

link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
I would but I am EXTREMELY cold natured and I don't think I would survive there..Hell...Illinois is too chilly for me..I would most likely be heading to a warmer climate..but who knows? Canada is closer

Much easier to!

You could walk if need be.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SadButTrue
Once all you smart aware people leave the US....

I'm gonna take over all the sheep and rule the US! yeah!

You'll probably do a better job than the current guy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join