It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two killed, several injured in Amtrak vs. semi truck wreck

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   
Source: www.sierrasun.com...&ParentProfile=1051 and www.huffingtonpost.com...

This is what they are saying:

RENO, Nev. — A collision between an Amtrak train and a semi-truck at a railroad crossing on a rural northern Nevada highway killed two people Friday, authorities said.

The truck driver and one person on the train were killed in the 11:25 a.m. accident on U.S. 95 about 70 miles east of Reno, said Nevada Highway Patrol Trooper Dan Lopez.

What they are not saying is that 100 people are still missing. There was an explosion that decimated the train.

I will post more info as I get it as my Father is on the Sheriffs department there and is in search and rescue mode at the moment. And the owner of the truck is my Parents neighbor. He had one of his drivers driving the truck when it happened.
edit on 24-6-2011 by IPILYA because: added second link

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The OP says the semi hit the fourth car of the train. If the train was configured in the usual fashion, that would either have been a baggage car of the crew car (called the 10 car most times). The passengers should be very thankful it didn't hit a coach car!

I hate railroad crossings at grade...

Everyone involved is in my prayers.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

I reported this to my local news ..we will see if they bother to check it out

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Op how did you know about 100 people missing?
A terrible accident and it is good it didn't hit the
coach car.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

My boyfriend is out on this. A wrecker driver he travelled about 1.5 hours to the location of the accident. This is a very sad situation. The news has very little updates.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
abcnews.go.com...

Video from the site. Doesn't look like 100+ people are missing, an unknown are injured but so far only 2 casualties? Not sure what the OP is talking about.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Here are some pics my mom sent. I haven't been able to talk to her to find out any new info. The reports say all accounted for. I will find out when I can the specifics.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockpuck

My boyfriend said (he got home from this at 1:00) that there were bodies in the two cars that burned but the news was not releasing that information until it was further investigated today. The cars were to hot still last night for them to do much other than moving the cars off the track so the track could be repaird. I have not heard anything today as far as the total number of casualites.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
The truck that struck the train was hauling open trailers, usually for hauling rock, and was empty. There were long skid marks from the truck and they are looking into a possability that the driver was physically impared as in a possible heartattack. They are also looking into the possibility of the truck slamming another vehicle between it and the train.
The train car that was hit was the first passenger car which exploded for an unknown reason. The first passenger car was decimated to its frame as well as half the next passenger car. There were 215 passengers and 15 crew on board and there were 115 survivors. The bodies of between 40 and 50 passengers are still in the burnt cars and will be gone through today. The NTSB arrived and took over the investigation shutting down all news crews and maintaining them a mile away. It is believed by some that there was some sort of volatile fuel being carried in the lower baggage area. Fallon Naval Base does disaster drills regularly because Nuclear waste is transported through the area and responded quickly using helicopters to transport the injured to Fallon hospital and hospitals in Reno. Fallon school buses were used to transport the uninjured survivors out of the sun and heat. The tow trucks that were brought in were not used, thus far, for clean up. they were used to move damaged vehicles and debris in order for emergency vehicles to enter where they needed to be as the train continued a quarter mile down the track before stopping. No clean up is scheduled at this time.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by crazydaisy

reply to post by Rockpuck

My Father is directly involved in the case, and has been on the scene from 10 min after the accedent.
Eyes on the ground inside the blackout area.
edit on 25-6-2011 by IPILYA because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
I was on that exact train - the Zephyr train 5, traveling from Elko to Reno, the day before. I was supposed to return on today's eastbound train. I assume it's been cancelled, as I called last night to confirm my reservation and was told that they are showing "no availability" and rebooked me for Sunday. I asked them if the wreck would cause any disruption or if I'll for sure be able to travel. All the agent said was that it'd be rerouted and it could add hours to the trip, but couldn't confirm at the time (last night). I just don't want to get on the train and get stuck somewhere, they aren't being helpful with travel information - not one bit (the agent knew less than me).

Locals, here in Reno, were saying at least 10 dead. This was late last night (hubby and I went out after concert - see my OT comment below). Still haven't seen any video feeds, only stills of the accident. It seems like they aren't letting any media near the site.

Anyone know if any of the names have been released? I had a nice, long conversation with the conductor, just the day before. Does anyone know how the Conductor schedule works? If he was Conductor of train 5 westbound the day before (Salt Lake to California), surely he wouldn't be on the same route the following day, rather he'd be eastbound?

Totally OT, but FWIW: I went to see Dirty Heads in Reno, they are awesome! If you liked Sublime, you'll love Dirty Heads. Got my photo taken with the Lead, Jared "Dirty J"

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

As far as my information is, the wreckage were being removed from the tracks today(this morning) as they were too hot yesterday and repairs to the track will begin asap. However, clean up is still not planned as of yet. You may get to travel Sunday who knows. The uninjured were put on tour buses to their destination. This may end up the case for you at least to another station beyond the accident.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Thanks, Ipilya, for updating us. Due to the time of the accident, I'm assuming the train was a couple of hours behind schedule (as was mine the day before - 3 hours behind).

Could it be that this route is routine for the truck driver, and given the time of day, he wasn't expecting the train at that time? Especially if he travels that route daily, then it may be normal for him to just cruise on through the intersection. By the time he saw the train, it'd be too late to break?

Any word on number of bodies?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

I will be checking in for updates in a couple of hours.
I don't want to interrupt his work too often but I will post as soon as I have new info.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

Here is the latest news by ABC. It does include videos.
abcnews.go.com...
Amtrak Crash Death Toll Rises; Truck Driver Investigated

The Nevada Highway Patrol said today that at least five people have died and it is feared that more fatalities will be found as investigators gain further access to the crash site.

Here is a link to multiple medias covering the crash. www.breakingnews.com... still no reports on the 40-50 dead.
edit on 25-6-2011 by IPILYA because: link added

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
A terrible accident, at least there
are not 100 people missing as
the Op stated originally.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

No new information NTSB has locked it down and classified it. Why? Good question.
I will continue to look out for information and post as I get it.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

What does it mean for NTSB to "lock it down and classify it"?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   

National Transportation Safety Board

NTSB - An Independant U.S. Federal Agency

Charged with determining the probable cause of transportation accidents and promoting transportation safety, and assisting victims of transportation accidents and their families.

They have shut down all information regarding the investigation and classified it as secret information.

This is all they will release at this time...www.ntsb.gov...

Partial quote...

The Amtrak train was traveling from Chicago to Emeryville, Calif., when it was stuck by a truck at about 11:25 a.m. PT today. Numerous fatalities and multiple injuries have been reported.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by IPILYA

I went to the NTSB website and saw that they are having a "briefing" at 9:30PM at the Fairfield Inn, in Sparks, NV. I'm in a hotel in Sparks, just down the block. I wonder if they allow the public into the briefing. If so, I'll get ready and head over there,.

Their site doesn't say if it is open to public, anyone know?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join