It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Terminator is coming

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Apparently Technology has arrived to give us our first Terminator prototype which learns from its mistakes!!

Now i'm not so sure this a good idea overall although these robots will be great for some things, they could also one day be above humans so take a look at the Sun, read the article then put your thoughts forward.... below is some of the story if you can't view the link:

THIS is Ecci — the world's first robot complete with tendons and muscles like his fictitious cousins in The Terminator movies.
As well as boasting human-like movements and grip, Ecci also has an ability that up until now only humans displayed — he can learn from his mistakes.

Scientists at the University of Zurich in Switzerland who built him claim he is the world's "smartest artificial intelligence creation".

A computer built into Ecci's brain allows him to learn from accidents such as stumbling or dropping things by analysing information on how it happened to avoid making the same mistakes in future.

It brings robots almost up to date with the humanoid metallic monsters in The Terminator movies — they were also a mixture of machine and muscle that could behave and think like a human.

Read more: www.thesun.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Well, he did say.

"I'll be back."

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Let one of these loose in civilisation amongst the beasts we call humans and see how corrupt these robots get after a year or so of studying human behaviour...
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

Now that's scary.

If they're made in America, can they run for President? They are "natural" born after all.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Let one of these loose in civilisation amongst the beasts we call humans and see how corrupt these robots get after a year or so of studying human behaviour...
edit on 26/10/2010 by TechUnique because: (no reason given)

Give it three months and its joining the police lol...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:07 PM
link   
interesting yet scary... nice post though S&F

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Can you Imagine in twenty years time ........... the offspring of "Termbot", powered by a quantum cpu.
ouch...............

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Ive done a lot of studying into the supposed upcoming "technological singularity" that many scientists seem to think is inevitable. Its incredibly facinating.

en.wikipedia.org...

The idea is this. A computer is made that is slightly above briliant human inteligence and is capable of "thinking" for itself. This computer can in turn create a more inteligent computer than itself, or even re-write its own source code improving itself. This next computer makes another, even more smarter computer, and so on. This exponential growth occurs in a very, very short period of time.

What this results in is a computer so vastly more intelligent than the smartest human, we simply cannot understand how it works. This computer is able to solve problems humans never in their wildest dreams could, creating an instant explosion of technology that would appear to humans to be almost magical as our little minds cannot begin to grasp how they work.

The danger to this is the obvious Terminator scenerio. Why would we be needed? Thus the development of "friendly AI".

en.wikipedia.org...

If intelligent, "sentient" computers are not made specifically to be benificial to mankind, and many safeguards put into place, its almost inevitable that computers will be dangerously indifferent towards us.

edit on 24-6-2011 by nightbringr because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
This is a great post. Very interesting read. Opens many doors and this could be an incredibly helpful invention.. I don't think we would allow it to get sophisticated enough to decide humanity is a problem. We would always be able to make a new block device. If anything they still can't beat an EMP.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

It should get a job in politics it will learn to lie, rob and pillage in no time at all.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
computers do not get greedy and will never have a reason to do so. we should therefore never see a day like in the terminator movies but we may one day see a day where men are in control of computers and robots that are as deadly as a t2000.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by QpenMinded

It would be very easy for a computer that is vastly more intelligent that the smartest human to get around any kind of block or failsafe people could install. I encourage you to read the wikipedia entry on friendly AI. Its a facinating, eye-opening read. And i might add that an EMP would have to be used world wide, if the computer becoming self-aware was attached to any kind of network, it would spread like wildfire worldwide in miliseconds, making it necissary to nuke or EMP the entire world. That doesnt sound helpful.

And Asimov's rules are not enough.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by nightbringr
Ive done a lot of studying into the supposed upcoming "technological singularity" that many scientists seem to think is inevitable. Its incredibly facinating.

en.wikipedia.org...

The idea is this. A computer is made that is slightly above briliant human inteligence and is capable of "thinking" for itself. This computer can in turn create a more inteligent computer than itself, or even re-write its own source code improving itself. This next computer makes another, even more smarter computer, and so on. This exponential growth occurs in a very, very short period of time.

What this results in is a computer so vastly more intelligent than the smartest human, we simply cannot understand how it works. This computer is able to solve problems humans never in their wildest dreams could, creating an instant explosion of technology that would appear to humans to be almost magical as our little minds cannot begin to grasp how they work.

The danger to this is the obvious Terminator scenerio. Why would we be needed? Thus the development of "friendly AI".

en.wikipedia.org...

If intelligent, "sentient" computers are not made specifically to be benificial to mankind, and many safeguards put into place, its almost inevitable that computers will be dangerously indifferent towards us.

As fascinating as it is we are quite far from the time were they could become an actual threat for multiple reasons...

As much as it can perfect itself by learning it will require constant maintenance to regulate the accuracy of what it learned. And as much as it could modify and adapt its own code it won't be able to modify its core codes "bios" and microchip codes and all... and it will always be limited by its hardware processing power and this is not something it can change...

And to think the computer itself could learn all electronic, programming, computer science, physics, chemistry, metallurgy and all in such ways where it could create a complete blueprint and codes of an enhanced version of itself that's more advanced is a bit far fetched... As much as it can be good it cannot account of certain factors such as when things should work one way but somehow it fail or works another way... "chaos theory" if you will... Also I highly doubt it will be able to "think outside of the box" as an example...

Give it a pencil and a paper and instruct it to "Using only the pencil and the paper, draw a circle with a dot in the middle however there can be no lines going from the dot to the circle..." It would try to apply the instructions literally and wouldn't think outside of the box and fold a corner of the paper sheet so you could make the circle with the dot and no line...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by nightbringr

This is really not much of an issue.

The amount of operations and infrastructure that go into manufacturing and supporting computers and any kind of automation is immense. Even if it were that we had computer programs capable of developing even faster and "smarter" computers/programs - they would not be able to create anything without the direct involvement of human beings.

You are what I like to call a "magic in the box" sort of technology person. It's a magical box of wonder that, because you can't comprehend it, it must be capable of surpassing us.

It's taken us 50 years of circuit and program development to create a robot capable of figuring out that doors open and close, or that glass is transparent. So we've created something that lay between the intelligence level of a fly and a cat.

It's one of the most simple AI processes, to be honest - and only becoming popular now because of the miniaturization of electronics and the exponential explosion of addressable memory. You pretty much keep a log of the goal set, the actions taken, and the results - and compare the result of actions to the goal. When the actions taken do not take one closer to accomplishing the goal - a different action can be inserted and compared.

It's really not all that complex in terms of programming. It's simply a very large set of data that must be addressed and manipulated - something that has only been recently practical.

It is still very light on the ability to make inferences. For example: "An object sits higher than I can reach. I can stand on top of sturdy objects. There is a sturdy object I can reach and move around. Moving this object closer to what I want to try and reach will allow me to stand on it and reach higher." That is a sort of "AI conundrum" that many are having difficulty getting around - the ability to make a logical inference.

That is, to be honest, the difference between humans and animals - our ability to make an inference about how to make something. It's in every animal to compare the result of their actions with their desired outcome and figure out that something else needs to be done. It's considerably different to have them take functional concepts and stack them together in a meaningful way.

The type of stuff being used here is stupidly simple stuff. "Oh, sitting here in the window - while it is a solid surface - will result in me getting shot at. Enemy fire goes through windows. Doors can swing open suddenly and knock me over - stand back from doors."

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
Great, now we'll have even more of these trials tying up our court system:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:53 PM
link   
And as long as its running Microsoft OS we can trust it to never be able to take over the world, it will crash and burn or bluescreen or be filled inside out with virus wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy before it gets there... :

edit on 24-6-2011 by _R4t_ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by _R4t_

While perhaps not thinking out of the box, this is pretty close!

www.wired.com...

This computer, aided with robot arms allowing it to experiment, made a discovery. It hypothesized, experimented and, eureka! New discovery!

Were not there yet, but many, many scientist believe that one day we will be.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

But alas, computers CAN make inferences! Check my post directly about this one. It addresses two important issues you brought up. That computers cannot infer, which it did by hypothosizing, experimenting and then proving somthing never before discovered. And it also did the experimental phase on its own, using its robotic appendages.

Again, its not there yet, but it is certainly coming along.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

I second your words. Seeing a robot which can learn from his mistakes means that he can become more intelligent than a human. Indeed corporates profit$ always are the most important thing on earth. I say we cannot stop the future but we can alter the way it is happening.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thruthseek3r

It'll also change things in the HR department. Your terminated will take on a whole new meaning.

<<   2  3 >>

join