It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nabro Volcano continues to erupt showing strong activity, yet there is still zero media coverage?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
I really hate to say this (because I care about Africa!) but if it's not about war or oil, the MSM probably won't report on anything happening in Africa. Sad, but true.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Sundowner

To be fair, how many volcanoes currently erupting in Indonesia or Kamchatka get reported by the MSN? I bet even Kilauea doesn't get mentioned by Fox News every hour? And that's erupting in the USA!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tephra
When they can somehow figure out a way to say that Volcano's cause warming, then we'll hear about it.

O/T but volcanoes have already been invoked as the cause of global warming
The idea is that a sudden increase in underwater volcanism is causing the ocean to warm which in turn warms the planet as a whole.

However, I'm unaware of any evidence that there has been a increase in volcanism?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by redrose123
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

I am beginning to learn if we report things long enough here and other internet sites they will finally decide to do a story on it. Everything is being so unreported lately I am beginning to wonder if most of them have gone somewhere. They can't seem to give an up to date report or warnings for the weather. It is as if they have no idea what is going on. The news is just not there. It is very isolated stories and keep being reported over and over. The news reporters I am use to seeing don't seem to be around. I keep seeing people wondering WTH is that. I have no idea but maybe they already ran for shelter. Who knows.

CNN is too busy showing hours of coverage of the casey trail, to be worried about volcanos erupting, or radiation pouring out into the atmosphere from the total meltdown of those 3 japanese nuclear reactors.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Remember that magnetic ribbon in our solar system? Imagine taking a ball of dirt surrounding a ball of iron, and passing a powerful magnet over it. What do you think would happen to the surface of that dirt ball? Could this be why we are seeing so many volcanoes and earthquakes? Just a theory that's been burning up my brain cells recently. If that was indeed the case, we would never know because it would go unreported.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:34 AM
link   
there wasnt any MSM coverage of the region for the first 30 million years of volcanic activity, why would they cover it in last month

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ItsEvolutionBaby
When I went to find this volcano on google earth, I found it interesting it is close to the Gulf of Aden.
Anyone else find that interesting?

Definitely. Wasn't there just a bunch of earthquakes near there like a month or so ago?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Common Scarecrow

It would be surprising if there weren't EQ's and volcanoes associated with this rift system.

geology.com... a nice geologic summary of the region

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Disconnected Sociopath

It's a fire-mountain in the middle of the desert. Why would it get coverage?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
I think they just don't want people to start asking questions about all the disaster's ..you know out of sight out of mind. They are keeping us bored as mentioned by another member with this Anthony case.

This case is keeping so many things off the news Syria, Libia, Yemen and I heard talk of war Hezbollah vs. Israel.

Remember you have to watch the opposite hand they are showing you.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
$10 bucks says the worlds gettin ready to chew us up and spit us out. And yet all i see in the news is Afghan this and Afghan that, give us a break. Where i live it should be 35 degrees Celcius outside right now, has been by this date for 20 years, yet its barely 20 dergees out. Either the Earth has tilted so much that we are no longer as close to the equator as weve always been or the weather manipulation has F'd us right up. I have my disaster preparedness kit ready, 3 Guns, 3 Fishing rods, tons of tackle, a box of 50 lighters, 500 packs of matches, clothes, blankets, tools, and best of all, 2 friends with even more guns ready to take all remaining food in the stores by force
BRING IT MOTHER EARTH!!

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Volcanic eruptions, for me, are always riveting and shock and awe so I have to agree with some posters here who feel that this would bring alot of attention and viewing (which would mean viewing of advertisements as well) and so not reporting it with the usual gusto and flaming pictures and video doesn't make any sense in a world of 'follow the money.'

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
I checked out "The Nation" news source for Nairobi, Kenya but didn't find anything.

Found this video (below) on ABC News site with one single paragraph:

These are passengers disembarking from a planned Turkish Airlines flight from Istanbul, Turkey to Nairobi, Kenya. The flight was cancelled as a result of the volcanic eruption in the African nation of Eritrea.

edit on 25-6-2011 by Thermo Klein because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Personally I find Erta Ale much more interesting

earthquake-report.com...

www.environmentalgraffiti.com...

That doesn't get mentioned on the news every night either

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
The MSM is a political machine owned and paid for by liberals. It is designed solely for the purpose of spreading the message(s) they want you to hear, which has little to do with the truth. That said, consider what a real international news organization should do: provide information in as close to real time on matters occuring throughout the world; this should be political events, natural events, studies compiled by authoritative organizations and people with actual credentials, and similar. It should be completely impartial. Deducing whether an event has implications for a specific nation or for the USA or the West as a whole is a task for commentators, historians, and scientists. Again, those people should be credentialed and feel free enough to admit that an opinion, prediction, or thoughts can be wrong when new information is found.
What I see today are a bunch of beautiful blondes and brunettes reporting on stories that titilate the more sordid parts of our nature as a human animal, rather than providing real news. In simple terms it is done to make a lot of money with as little investmnt as is possible. Think of the Casey Anthony story, a few folks and a couple of cameras and you have hours of entertainment for the beautiful people to discuss ad nauseam.
We deserve much better. We are perfectly capable of picking out the reality and truth of the stories if we are given all of the information. We are grown up people, educated, and living our lives to the best of our abilities.
Hell, we can't even get the politicians in this country to agree on a single thing. It is all based on power and politics. It is down to sound bites and impressions. Give us the information. We can handle it.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I'm not really finding the disparity of news coverage....
here are stories from Reuters, BBC, ABC, etc.

google search 'eritrea volcano'

Addisfortune.com: Eritrean Volcano Erupts Economic Mayhem for Ethiopia

edit on 25-6-2011 by Thermo Klein because: edited to add addisfortune link and pic

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   
This is really the only way I can get any decent news. You don't hear about any of this stuff anywhere. They are either too busy with Casey Anthony (who cares? It's tragic that the little girl died, but I feel like they are dragging this thing out for the air time, not for any real justice and that's where I have my problem), or which Jersey Shore member drank themselves into a retarded stupor yesterday. Yeah it may be a volcano in the middle of nowhere, but it's a biggie and it's never erupted in our (current) history. The MSM may disagree with me, but it's fascinating for the science and dangerous beauty of Mother Nature. Thank you for this OP!

Sort of off topic, big thanks to all the people that put these threads together, if it weren't for you guys we wouldn't know what's going on anywhere. I come for the news and stay for the nuts

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Essan

Actually this is incorrect. Nobody I know of has invoked volcanoes as the cause of global warming. It is true that the earth is warming rapidly and no scientist will debate that but the cause is unknown. It could be because of more Co2 in the atmoshpere or just an increased rate of the normal cycle due to natural causes. It's very debated.

As far as volcanoe's go they actually have the opposite effect from the greenhouse effect. Mt. Pinatubo, one of the largest eruptions recently, sent so much ash into the atmoshpere that it actually lowered global temperatures by 2 degrees for 2 years. Without getting too much into details the crystals in the ash reflect sunlight back not allowing it through to be trapped by the greenhouse effect thus lowering temps.

If we had increased volcanic activity to a high degree you would see another ice age not a case of global warming.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
And,to be fair,who really gives a hoot to hear about another volcano erupting somewhere exotic?..africa?..really dont care to waste my little bot of TV time on that...

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misoir

UPDATE 20/06 – 15:53 UTC : “According to NASA, the volcano spewed ash and large amounts of sulfur dioxide gas—the highest levels ever detected from space“.

High levels of SO2 being pumped into the atmosphere is not good for global climate stability, combine that with the high levels of SO2 also being released from the volcano erupting in Chile we could see the potential of at least minor temperature cooling over the next few months. I am not a scientist though so it would be preferable for someone knowledgable in this subject to help us out.

You DO NOT get MILD cooling from sulfur dioxide, you DO GET vicious COOL winters, rain in the Sierra's in BUCKETS and then DROUGHT !!!!!!

Remember the 100 and 200 year floods in California in 2001 and 2004, and 2 or 3 more in the 90s ???

I did some research on some of those flood years a fews years back and found that there was ALWAYS volcanic activity with lava flows, which indicates sulfur dioxide emissions this is always indicated with lava flows, somewhere in the Pacific rim or in Ice Land one and two years before a wet cold winter the Sierra.

I sent my research to Wired Magazine and Arnold the Grovinator, never heard back from anyone but I did hear the same talking a LOT about El Nino.

El NINO

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join