It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.
Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.
Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.
Originally posted by wildoracle13
Originally posted by Soldier of God
One railroad stock car can carry about 240 sheep. This would mean that 40,000 animals could fit in 167 railroad cars. The arks total capacity was 569 stock cars. 40,000 animals would require LESS THAN 30% of the ark's space. In other words 40,000 animals could fit on one of the ark's three decks. This would leave the other 70% of the ark's space for Noah's family, food, supplies, and baggage.
Today, it is thought that there are 10 million land dwelling species. I have no idea if this includes insects and I have to throw this out there but... wouldn't all of the animals be inbred?
Nevermind, Zorgon whipped out his handy king james and quoted something about 14 clean beasts. Trying to figure out what an unlean beast is and if they applied that to insects.edit on 24-6-2011 by wildoracle13 because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by St Udio
the purist in me is disappointed...
i seen big, shiny bolts bored through the upright timber logs, used for anchoring the buttress 2X12 planks
i was brought up in central Pennsylvania where many a barn was built by the Pennsylvania Dutch (some are Amish) that used all wooden fasteners and dowels, mortise & tennon joints etcetra...nary a bolt or nail or metal plate to bolt timbers together in any barn...
They were works of 'Art' compared to the video Arc von Noah
still.... its a big project...
Now, are there any rumors that the late Saddam Husseins' pet project of reconstructing the Gardens of Babylon is still in the works?
i think i also read that the existing Solomons Temple (scale model replica) might be in for a full scale replica
after the funds are secured,,,, (no not a 3rd Temple--- that's by a group of zealots)
the point being... there are many ideas about recreating either Biblical or just Ancient wonders,
its rare when a project finally gets realized... it don't take a super imagination to think these thing through... just 'Grit'edit on 24-6-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)
Originally posted by pikypiky
I'd like to see if his boat can actually float! Scientist and/or archeologist can get the dimensions and try to replicate his boat in a lab to see if it really floats. Yeah, I'd like to see the guy break even as a petting zoo for children. It was well the effort and inspiration that ONE man can do so much in a lifetime. Poor wood, though!
Originally posted by fixer1967
reply to post by e11888
The US spends that much on the Afghan war in 20 minutes.
The United States spends about $3.6 billion a month in Afghanistan
So there is worse ways to spend it
Originally posted by FrenchOsage
I saw this on Yahoo news the other day. I occasionally skim the readers comments to see what people are thinking. My favorite comment on this article, "Hopefully while gathering two of each animal he didn't gather two termites".
Originally posted by Char-Lee
The ark was made of a material that the Bible identifies as "gopher wood". The actual Hebrew word is "Gopher". The exact meaning of this material is still unknown. It has been presumed by some to be Cypress wood, Cedar, Teak, or Mahogany, but these are only assumptions. What ever the actual material was, still remains a mystery, although it was probably some type of wood.
"Gopher wood" "Gopher wood" is a misreading and scribal error. "Kopher" wood is correct and means wood (any wood) that is covered with Kopher. Kopher is bitumen. In the Genesis text (6:14), the context is clear. The GPR wood used, (a scribal error) is to be covered in KPR. G and K in Hebrew are so similar that inexperienced Hebrew "scholars," such as those translating the King James Version of the Bible, could have been prone to such errors, indeed, they made many such errors.
Originally posted by jude11
Yeah, but for some damn reason he grabbed the cockroaches as well. Could have left the spiders to drown also.
Originally posted by FlyersFan
1.6 million dollars. There are a lot of better things that he could have done with that money. Sjogrens research grants come to mind. Seriously though .. he dreamed PART of Holland was flooded. So why not just move to the part that he dreamed wasn't flooded instead of spending the money on the boat.
Whatever. It's his money. Damned shame of a waste. But it's his ....