It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Minot Flooding, Evacuation as Flood Waters Rise

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:11 PM
link   
Minot, N.D., Evacuation as Flood Waters Rise
online.wsj.com...

"By Friday morning, the brownish river water had reached more than two feet above historic 1969 flooding residents had used as a benchmark and just short of a record set 130 years ago."
www.publicbroadcasting.net...
www.bismarcktribune.com...
m.dailymail.co.uk...
"Will The Minot Flooding Affect Us?"
www.fox4kc.com...

KX Weather Channel, best live info ..
www.ustream.tv...
Valley News Live Web Stream, live press conference in right now ..
www.ustream.tv...
View from Minot State University
www.ustream.tv...
Live Minot River Camera (Water Plant)
www.ustream.tv...

Raw Video: a Look at Minot Flooding From the Air

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/499a225e7eb7.jpg[/atsimg]
yfrog.com...

Is very bad situation, God help them all ..
edit on 24-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

Just reported on the AP that Minot is now flooding officially. Multiple levees are overflowing as of 1:30 pm central time June 24, 2011. Water in some areas is to the second level of homes.
My thoughts and prayers with everyone

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
uummm... isn't Minot home to one of the biggest nuclear missile sites in the United States? My brother use to guard nukes up in Montana, and I remember Minot being one of the only other bases he could transfer to for his qualifications... I'll have to do a little more research...

Yep, sure is... Minuteman III to be exact... looks like they are trying to keep them safe with sandbags and pumps... you'd think our government would have a more efficient plan in place for such a situation... I mean we're talking about nukes here... abcnews.go.com...
edit on 24-6-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add more info

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

Used to say that North Dakota was the third largest military power in the world in the 70's and early 80's._javascript:icon('
') Don't know about now. Minot has an Air Force Base and so does Grand Forks. The missile silos are all over the place tho,, not on the bases.

I read that some have been sold and converted to underground shelter condo's.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by kissitgoodbye

they're still there... looks like they just pulled a missile out of the ground in Minot... they took the nuclear guts out and shipped it to California for an accuracy test launch last week.... www.newser.com...
edit on 24-6-2011 by wearewatchingyouman because: add link

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Half of Burlington's residents flee before Souris ..
www.inforum.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/418f755a2ab5.png[/atsimg]

news.yahoo.com...

edit on 24-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by wearewatchingyouman

The base is north of town... nowhere near the Souris (mouse) river... about 60 plus feet above the current flood level.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

For what it's worth, CNN just reported(5:00)pm that the flooding in Minot is supposed to be at it's highest Saturday or Sunday. They said that sand bagging efforts have been stopped except to try to protect the police department and the city hall. The rest including schools is done. They said many people have already lost their homes and many more will before this is over. My thoughts and prayers are out to everyone. Be Safe!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   
My God, what happens? Obviously the houses that go under are going to be a complete and total loss. Small businesses - etc. Do people just pick up and move away? Does the Government give them relocation checks? How does a whole town (not just Minot) recover? I can't imagine being a child and having to move with such a complete and total life change caused by this. What of families that have lived there for generations? Obviously they can't just assimilate somewhere else in a big group. What about older folks just getting by with a job down at the local garage/cafe etc.

Do they move away and stay away? Do they rebuild and come back - and even so, many small businesses and what not are probably not going to be replaced. What happens to the Joplins, the Minots? Does anyone know? Do people with addresses there show up and get a relocation check if they need it to start over? So many living pay check to pay check these days - who can't afford to move, with hook ups, deposits what not.

I know I may sound niave - but really what happens - because I do have compassion and empathy for these people and I cannot imagine what it is like - it is not just the loss of possessions it is the loss OF AN ENTIRE SOCIAL FABRIC AND WAY OF LIFE! My prayers are with all the worlds current refugees and that includes some of our own these days due to fires/floods/storms & whatnot.
edit on 24-6-2011 by TheBirdisDone because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Minot flood now officially a record ..

"MINOT -- North Dakota's congressional delegation offered words of praise and some hope on Friday to the state's fourth-largest city, stricken by an epic flood that's now officially the biggest flood that it's ever seen."

"The biggest flood Minot has seen up to this point was in 1881, when the Souris River was at 1,558 feet above sea level, where the National Weather Service's Broadway bridge gauge is now. At 11 a.m. Friday, the gauge read 1,558 feet. At 11:30 a.m., it read 1,558.3 feet."

"The weather service is projecting the river will crest at 1,563.6 feet at 1 a.m. Sunday, about a foot lower than earlier projections."

"Earlier in the day, the delegation along with Mayor Curt Zimbelman took an aerial tour of the flooding. In some areas, according to the mayor, all that's visible are the rooftops of homes."

"It's really tough to see," said Hoeven, who is originally from Minot. "I see homes of people I've known since I was a little kid, places that I've been many many times in the city and outside the city -- and now they're underwater."

"We fought these floods, we fought them in '69, we fought them in '73, in '76. So now to see these homes in the water, it's really tough. Your heart goes out to all these great people."

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Dalke07

My God, again where will these people go? Minot is not a place people move to for the Climate. ND does not have a huge population - these people have likely been there generations and hail ethnically from Scandanavian Countries which is common in that part of our Country. It takes hale and hearty to live through those winters. This is not a transit kind of place like say Florida where I live. People probably have long roots. I feel so bad for them. Will they rebuild on higher ground nearby and create a kind of alternate village so people can maintain continuity with family and friends? Obviously they need to rebuild - if they do - on higher ground - is this even possible for these people?

This one is really getting to me I must say. I wish I had room to take some of them in. My heart is heavy for them.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

There is enough time before winter sets in to accomplish ALOT if they buckle down and don't get discouraged. Hopefully this will become a major opportunity for MANY civilians to brush up on their organizational skills. Now would be a good time for the unaffected people to volunteer their RVs, tents and camping equipment to those who are going to need refuge and have nowhere to go while cleaning things up. There are alot of idle RVs in ND.
edit on 24-6-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

Maybe an RV might not be a bad idea these days. Have your things in there and when the weather is bad move to where it is good until further notice. Cheaper in the long run than trying to figure out where the H you can go that isn't under some kind of disaster for a permanent structure.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

But they are completely submerged shushu! This isn't a basement flood. They are up to the roof, and probably some will submerge completely before it's all over! My God, I wish I could help. I worked in a command post during my deployment and even with my disabilities I wish I could go lend a hand to all of these distressed people who are on the run from fires, floods and what not. I wanted to kick butt at FEMA after Katrina!

Maybe these folks will rebuild on dry land. There is not much a de-humidifier can do for completely submerged dry wall I am afraid. At least these people did have some warning unlike the poor souls in Joplin. Maybe I feel more empathy because I live in a Hurricane state - you always have survivor guilt when you "cheat" the storms while others loose everything.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBirdisDone

But they are completely submerged shushu!

So buy a pump a couple of fans and a dehumidifier.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
What does this mean to the downstream water works? where is the next pressure oint for the water?
I think it is possible that whole new rivers cold be cut into being this year by the heavy run off....
With the Missouri river dams stretched to bursting where does thiaa river fit into the picture?

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
Air Force says ND missiles safe from flooding ..
www.kxnet.com...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/701f21d10cff.png[/atsimg]
www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov...

www.nwd-mr.usace.army.mil...

water.weather.gov.../25/2011%207:36:55%20AM

All that water go down so is very bad situation, specially for nuclear plants end dams in next days or months ..
Good luck to all ..
edit on 25-6-2011 by Dalke07 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by shushu

And where do you pump the water when you are completely submerged? How do you dehumidify dry wall that has been submerged for days? These houses are a complete loss. Only the roof of many of them is visable from the air. The only plus is many of them had time to remove the very precious items they could carry out, and of course to save themselves, unlike the lost souls of Joplin.

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheBirdisDone
reply to post by shushu

And where do you pump the water when you are completely submerged? How do you dehumidify dry wall that has been submerged for days? These houses are a complete loss. Only the roof of many of them is visable from the air. The only plus is many of them had time to remove the very precious items they could carry out, and of course to save themselves, unlike the lost souls of Joplin.

Perhaps they should grab a bucket and slip into some SCUBA gear. My gawd... you wait until the water recedes... then you start the cleanup. Unless of course you're aware of some plot going on down stream that isn't going to allow the water to do this.

unlike the lost souls of Joplin.

Oh-h-h-h... now I get it. You're thinking Minot is competing with Joplin for attention over who's suffered the greatest loss. Well... you might have something there. As to date... Minot hasn't suffered any loss of life. And as far as proof of economic hardship... well I guess we'll find out when the snow flies and temperatures hit subzero in Minot before we can actually learn how extensive the suffering is.
edit on 25-6-2011 by shushu because: (no reason given)

top topics

join