It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Extreme Weather? Nothing to see here...move along...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+69 more 
posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
[color=gold]

Tropical Storms

Tornadoes

Tsunamis

Floods

Earthquakes

Volcanoes

Sea Levels Fluctuation

Are all steadily increasing? Gradually and constantly. To the point where it deserves a thread.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: This thread is NOT meant as fear mongering but as a discussion basis for knowledge.

MODS: Feel free to move to appropriate board if needs be. Thank you.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello Fellow friends...

I have been looking at this for a while and I will admit that my paranoia increases along with the extreme weather we keep on experiencing, day after day...

During this research for graphs, as I believe that an image is worth a thousand words, I found myself a little shocked at the results. Most graphs depict increases since the early 1900s. Most graphs show a sudden alarming increase since the early 2000s.

It is often said that we notice more of the extremes nowadays because of more research, more apparatus to study and notify, along with the ease of communications...That they’ve always been as bad but we just didn’t know. I have serious doubts.

Am I seeing things that are just not there? You be the judge.

[color=gold]TROPICAL STORMS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9747ab2b8a80.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0c12e12ed57.gif[/atsimg]

2005 study published in the journal Nature examined the duration and maximum wind speeds of each tropical cyclone that formed over the last 30 years and found that their destructive power has increased around 70 percent in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. Another 2005 study, published in the journal Science, revealed that the percentage of hurricanes classified as Category 4 or 5 (the two strongest categories on the Saffir-Simpson scale) has increased over the same period.

www.climate.org...

Destructive power has increased around 70 percent...Look at that graph...doesn’t it speak for itself?

[color=gold]TORNADOES

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/435caaf0b6a1.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a216b320e56e.png[/atsimg]

As pointed out by Sterling Burnett H., (1997), the majority of world scientists disagree with the notion that global climate change is of anthropogenic nature. This is also evidenced by the analysis of a scientists and public opinion survey, provided in the following article (www.ncpa.org... and www.ncpa.org...).

geochange-report.org...

OK...so the scientists disagree with the notion that global climate change is of anthropogenic nature. The graph is for the U.S., do you think they agree that there is some serious increase there?

[color=gold]TSUNAMIS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/5ed1adfd521e.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/326916cba85a.png[/atsimg]

Thus, statistical study of the tsunami dynamics from ancient times to the present based on two independent databases enables us to conclude that there has been a substantial increase in the number of tsunamis in the last two decades. This tendency persists today as well.

geochange-report.org...

Japan is still experiencing an ongoing nightmare following their tsunami. Ongoing quakes and radiation levels are still a threat. And tsunamis are still on the upscale. Who’s next?

[color=gold]FLOODS

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/834211ff64b0.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/882b7e426e61.png[/atsimg]

general flood number trend points to a steady increase in the statistical values. The number of flood-related deaths depends directly on the scale of flooding.

geochange-report.org...

Although that graph is for the U.S., floods are on the increase and no one can deny it. We have floods here in Quebec that haven’t been that bad for a hundred and fifty years...Europe and Australia are now commonly hit. This is not a bad dream but one serious reality. That graph stops in 2008...did it get better or worse??

[color=gold]EARTHQUAKES

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87c2411fbe05.jpg[/atsimg]

No graphs for this one. As hard as I looked I could not find. But I found numbers...let your fingers do the math...

Number of Earthquakes Worldwide for 2000 - 2011
Located by the US Geological Survey National Earthquake Information Center
Magnitude 2000 2001 2002 2003 2004 2005 2006 2007 2008 2009 2010 2011
8.0 to 9.9 1 1 0 1 2 1 2 4 0 1 1 1
7.0 to 7.9 14 15 13 14 14 10 9 14 12 16 21 8
6.0 to 6.9 146 121 127 140 141 140 142 178 168 144 151 127
5.0 to 5.9 1344 1224 1201 1203 1515 1693 1712 2074 1768 1896 1940 1340
4.0 to 4.9 8008 7991 8541 8462 10888 13917 12838 12078 12291 6805 10421 6970
3.0 to 3.9 4827 6266 7068 7624 7932 9191 9990 9889 11735 2905 4320 950
2.0 to 2.9 3765 4164 6419 7727 6316 4636 4027 3597 3860 3014 4624 1202
1.0 to 1.9 1026 944 1137 2506 1344 26 18 42 21 26 39 9
0.1 to 0.9 5 1 10 134 103 0 2 2 0 1 0 0
No Magnitude 3120 2807 2938 3608 2939 864 828 1807 1922 17 24 20
Total 22256 23534 27454 31419 31194 30478 29568 29685 31777 * 14825 * 21541 * 10627
Estimated
Deaths 231 21357 1685 33819 228802 88003 6605 712 88011 1790 226729 28571

link here if this isn't clear in this post: earthquake.usgs.gov...

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year. As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant.

However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant.

How about magnitude 7.0 and greater?? How about magnitude 5.0 and greater?? But pointing out the 6.0 had me add the sarcasm in the title: Nothing to see here...move along...

[color=gold]VOLCANOES

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c02429175203.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/78e41497f6dd.png[/atsimg]

: Let us examine the mechanism of causality between volcanic activity and Earth’s temperature changes. A higher number of volcanic eruptions leads to an increased emission into the atmosphere of volcanic gases contributing to the enhanced greenhouse effect and ultimately results in a higher atmospheric temperature.

geochange-report.org...

So if I understand this correctly, we’re caught in a vicious circle. I tried reading some of the scientific mumbo jumbo analysis of that thread relating to volcanoes and got a serious headache. So, since I didn’t really understand half of what I was reading, this is up for grabs. I may be seeing things in this case. Does anyone have any Tylenol??

[color=gold]SEA LEVELS FLUCTUATION

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d0f0ef5b5302.jpg[/atsimg]

Yeah, I know...this pic has nothing to do with it...but it's refreshing isn't it ?? Let's continue...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a3890cf10d5f.png[/atsimg]

geochange-report.org...

From 92...uphill fast...

[color=gold]CONCLUSION

Put together they make a pretty nasty overall picture. These increases aren’t about to stop. To the contrary.

Buckle up...the next decades are going to be one hell of a ride !!!

Thank you for your time. Comments pro or con are welcome.

Have a good life !

edit on 24-6-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar

edit on 24-6-2011 by SonoftheSun because: grammar part deux

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Nice layout SonoftheSun, and yes it appears everything is increasing in occurrence and intensity. I know the Nina family(** is at play this year, but still... It seems like each month brings more natural disaster.

www.science20.com...
Kind of stands out no?

spec

edit on 24-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: addition

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
After reading about the Alaska quake I got on a similar train of thought.

thank you for confirming my suspicion with a well put-together thread, s&f.

It seems to me as if the planet is really getting angry, as if nature is fed up with us.

Worst thing is, we sort of had it coming...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by speculativeoptimist

Thanks Spec !!

Yeah...La nina esta bada...ok...I don't speak spanish. But it's bad and will be getting worse.

I appreciate your comment.

ETA: THAT graph is worse than what I put up there !!
edit on 24-6-2011 by SonoftheSun because: spec's graph comment

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by j-man

There was a scare of a tsunami heading to Canada with than Alaskan quake, thank God it didn't happen !!

Thanks for dropping by.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by speculativeoptimist

Nice layout SonoftheSun, and yes it appears everything is increasing in occurrence and intensity. I know the Nina family(** is at play this year, but still... It seems like each month brings more natural disaster.

www.science20.com...
Kind of stands out no?

spec

edit on 24-6-2011 by speculativeoptimist because: addition

I've vistited that link and the graph you show is said to be unrealistic.

It shows the quakes considered most important news.

This is the actual graph of the total amount (it's from your link btw...):

cheers

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by j-man

DOH! I stand corrected, shoulda read further!
thx,
spec

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by j-man

That graph is only for 6.0 or greater. While there is an slight uphill slope, it would be more accentuated if it was >=M5.

But interesting just the same.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
[color=gold]EARTHQUAKES

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/87c2411fbe05.jpg[/atsimg]

No graphs for this one. As hard as I looked I could not find. But I found numbers...let your fingers do the math...

The USGS estimates that several million earthquakes occur in the world each year. Many go undetected because they hit remote areas or have very small magnitudes. The NEIC now locates about 50 earthquakes each day, or about 20,000 a year. As more and more seismographs are installed in the world, more earthquakes can be and have been located. However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant.

However, the number of large earthquakes (magnitude 6.0 and greater) has stayed relatively constant.

How about magnitude 7.0 and greater?? How about magnitude 5.0 and greater?? But pointing out the 6.0 had me add the sarcasm in the title: Nothing to see here...move along...

Great thread, S&F.

About the EQ increasing, feel free to use my work here -------> Are Earthquakes Really on the Increase? Study and facts

My conclusions, to make it short:

CONCLUSION for (1) and (2): Whatever the circumstances and the data used, the increase in the number of earthquakes above 7.0 is significant and can not be due to the lack of detection means. This is absolutely not what we can read on USGS presentations pages. Why?

CONCLUSION for (3) to (6):
USGS and ANSS datas are often inaccurates or incomplete and contradict themselves, at least for what we can see in the public pages.
There's no explanations on how the average number for major earthquakes occurrence have been found and (using USGS and ANSS datas alone) I wasn't able to find these numbers.
However, we will see in note (8) that the use of different catalogs (Centennial and PDE) by USGS could explain these long-term average numbers

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

You are right, but the graph I quoted was also an M6+ graph, so I thought it was relevant to tell it wasn't correct...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by j-man

I agree.

2nd.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by elevenaugust

Quite a thread you got there !!

I subscribed to it and will get back to it when I get a chance.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Their is no doubt that their is some kind of weather manipulation going on and if you need proof start looking up. I am not saying that all of this is caused by weather manipulation, but allot of these floods and tornado's are a result of weather manipulation. If you look at a weather radar you will see rings very fast lines moving across the radar that are oviasly not natural. Their are many video's on youtube that depict this.
Such as this video. (Watch it all the evidence is clear)
www.youtube.com...

24 Hours after these rings appear tornado's hit and heavy rain comes. We just got rain in Texas, 24 hrs before we got rain we had a LARGE ring just about the size of the state over us. I believe this is how it works. They send a bunch of clouds that cover the whole sky to give the air moister. Those clouds blow away and then more clouds come witch pick up that moister and cause's it to rain. I believe the radar rings direct the clouds, causes them to move towards the rings. We are going to see some AMAZING technology in our time. Weather manipulation will be talked about (if # does not hit the fan) openly with in the next 15 years. The existence of this technology is all ready being talked about widely and openly among the scientific community. If we know how the weather works then we can emulate it.

If sound wave vibrations can make things shake then we can create deep sound wave vibrations (waves that are to deep or high to hear) that can make the earth shake.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Very nicely put together thread.

edit on 24-6-2011 by kissitgoodbye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sabbathcrazy

Well, this thread is mainly to show the fact that there is an increase in extreme weather. An ongoing increase.

I didn't research the reasons as to why there is such an increase.

Thanks for contributing.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
www.abovetopsecret.com...

One of the the things driving the weather is a pretty large increase in the number of fireballs entering the atmosphere, and by extension, the amount of non-visible debris impacting it.

Back in 2005 (and as far as I can tell, for a long time prior) the average number reported was 1.28 per day over the US. It is now 3.52. The averages have steadily increased every year except one (2009).

That kind of increase simply must be adding huge amounts of energy to the atmosphere.

edit on 24-6-2011 by apacheman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by apacheman

First time I hear of this !!

Interesting! Don't know if it would impact the weather though. Food for thought !!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I've been trying to figure out lately if our earth's wobble and rotation have a play in this.
I saw a documentary the other day, that stated that the moon moves away from the earth by just under 1.5 inches per year. Very minor, but it'll add up oneday.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Just like keeping a plate spinning on a stick, the key is to have the plate spinning fast, as if it slows down it crashes to the floor. In a similar way, as the Earth's rotation slows down, our whole planet may start to slowly wobble and this will have a devastating effect on our seasons.

Now if our day shortens with the quakes, that means we're rotating faster ? while the moon moving away dictates that we should be rotating slower ?
I know, it's only micro seconds, but if combined with other factors ??

The earthquakes, Japan and Chili were said to have shortened the day, although only by micro seconds. Also said to have shifted the earth slightly, Chili by 3 inches, Japan by about 7 inches.

www.space.com...
www.nasa.gov...

In comparison, following last year's magnitude 8.8 earthquake in Chile, Gross estimated the Chile quake should have shortened the length of day by about 1.26 microseconds and shifted Earth's figure axis by about 8 centimeters (3 inches). A similar calculation performed after the 2004 magnitude 9.1 Sumatran earthquake revealed it should have shortened the length of day by 6.8 microseconds and shifted Earth's figure axis by about 7 centimeters, or 2.76 inches.

How an individual earthquake affects Earth's rotation depends on its size (magnitude), location and the details of how the fault slipped. Gross said that, in theory, anything that redistributes Earth's mass will change Earth's rotation.

Our moon is responsible (I think) for keeping our wobble stable, but if bigger quakes are affecting our wobble, and our rotation, even if just slightly, our weather is likely to be unpredictable.

Maybe it's not enough change to matter, I don't know.

Could our galaxy even be going through a section of space that might be affecting us in some way?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

You bring out some very good points. The geochange-report link talks about it a bit...

We shall consider the basic natural factors which may have a significant impact on global climate change:

1.Drift of Earth’s geographic pole
2.Drift of Earth’s geomagnetic pole and fluctuations of magnetospheric parameters
3.Change of the angular velocity of Earth’s rotation
4.Change of Earth’s endogenous activity
5.Solar activity

geochange-report.org...

As I said before, I haven't really read about what causes the extremes but a change in the wobble would make a lot of common sense.

So many factors to consider...

Thank you for an excellent reply !

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   

What's really interesting to me is that fact that the slope of the increase in fireballs looks very similar to the slopes of increase of the storms and other weather-related factors.

I'm fairly certain they're connected.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join