It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Fort Calhoun nuclear power plants Flood limets and threats

page: 1
15
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Missouri River reached a height of nearly 1,007 feet above sea level at the plant yesterday.

If levels exceeded 1,004 feet, water would reach the lower floodgates, hampering the welding of plates to door frames, the NRC said. At 1,008.5 feet, the technical support center used by emergency technicians would have been inundated. At 1,010 feet, water would begin to enter the auxiliary building, "shorting power and submerging pumps. The plant could then experience a station blackout with core damage estimated within 15 to 18 hours," under a worst-case scenario, the NRC said.

www.nytimes.com...

I dont know guys, this is getting really close and there is MSM black out. I dont want to fear monger but if i was there i would be looking for places to bug out to if SHTF at the power plant!

In the artical it says at 1010 feet water would flood the auxlilary building. " back up power" and short the pumps. The plant will then have a black out and core damage. So if that happens in this "plan", does this take in account that the area will be flooded for the next 2 weeks or is this a flash flood type projection and people can get in fast and repair it. I think its the latter. I dont think this plan takes in account a submerge power plant for 2 weeks or more

The link below is a radiation fallout patter of the area provided by a university in Eqypt because our own goverment wont give us any info as if we were in the USSR

www.ues-egypt.com...
edit on 24-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

edit on 24-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)




posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Some good pictures of the plant at that link.

It is apparently only a foot or two away from topping the water-filled berm, and it is expected to continue to rise all of today, and possibly have more rises throughout the weekend.

This is also one of the plants singled out for more oversight. Supposedly it isn't in top-notch repair or management prior to the flood.

I wonder how the levee break will affect the floodwaters? Will it relieve some of the water, or will it make the problem worse?



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
The article also points out that the structures are able to withhold up to 1014 feet. Close, but no need to panic and run for the hills yet. The water does still seem to be adequately held back and out of the facility at this time. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be like in the area and upstream, but certainly worth keeping an eye on things, but do not panic.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Radiation fallout link has been dos'ed :/

Would have been interesting to see the map
edit on 24-6-2011 by mb2591 because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Not a good situation, especially since certain areas around Omaha and that river are expecting possibly over an inch of rain tomorrow, according the the weather channel..



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Some good pictures of the plant at that link.

It is apparently only a foot or two away from topping the water-filled berm, and it is expected to continue to rise all of today, and possibly have more rises throughout the weekend.

This is also one of the plants singled out for more oversight. Supposedly it isn't in top-notch repair or management prior to the flood.

I wonder how the levee break will affect the floodwaters? Will it relieve some of the water, or will it make the problem worse?


The only problem is those photos were taken many days ago and the water has risin sence then. There is a No fly zone in effect in the area so no one can take new pictures



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Please keep in mind that Fort Calhoun doesn't operate in isolation to the world around it, and there are other factors that determine how high the water can physically get regardless of flood pressure coming from upriver. Specifically, there are far weaker flood control structures both up and down river from the Nuclear Plant (MUCH weaker) that are either on the verge of giving way, reportedly have given way in the last day, or can be deliberately blown as an emergency relief valve to the flood levels.

This isn't Japan in MANY ways, but the physical plant is only one of them. Unlike Japan, the U.S. system and it's population are far less forgiving and understanding of failure at a biblical level....and those in power in Nebraska know that, I am sure. They can't hide there forever if they do something terminally stupid to make things worse then try to cover it up. They might as well go do a visual inspection of the core rods themselves...it'll save the local population all the trouble of lynching them later. The point is..the Americans at these plants aren't operating under any illusions, I am sure, and have no where to run if it DID go badly. They die too. That alone gives me confidence that this is not going to spin out of control.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed
The article also points out that the structures are able to withhold up to 1014 feet. Close, but no need to panic and run for the hills yet. The water does still seem to be adequately held back and out of the facility at this time. Not sure what the weather is supposed to be like in the area and upstream, but certainly worth keeping an eye on things, but do not panic.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)


Waters are to keep rising and i dont think the they have yet to establish a crest yet for the whole river system.

Up stream leaves are braking left and right. who knows whats going to happen. Panic? well i shear would be working on a back up plan. it has not hit the fan yet



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


I try to take most things on ats with a grain of salt..however, it's kinda freakin' me out that just a few days ago someone posted a utube vid warning people to head west of Mississippi if levees start breaking north/northwest of it..supposedly the midwest will "liquefy" and slide into the gulf just a few weeks after all these levees break...

Now I don't plan on packing up and heading west just yet but still kind of freaky..I guess it pot holes start forming in my backyard I am gonna take off!



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neopan100
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


I try to take most things on ats with a grain of salt..however, it's kinda freakin' me out that just a few days ago someone posted a utube vid warning people to head west of Mississippi if levees start breaking north/northwest of it..supposedly the midwest will "liquefy" and slide into the gulf just a few weeks after all these levees break...

Now I don't plan on packing up and heading west just yet but still kind of freaky..I guess it pot holes start forming in my backyard I am gonna take off!


I would not worry about the midwest liquefying but if the plant starts a meltdown the only way to get out of the cloud would to be west of it.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 


Exactly. Those pictures look a little precarious, and that was a couple of days ago! As far as I know the flood waters are still rising today, and expected to rise on and off through most of next week. Last I heard it wasn't expected to recede for almost a month.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss
 

Waters are to keep rising and i dont think the they have yet to establish a crest yet for the whole river system.


Gavins point report from US army corp 6/23/11
Midnight elevation 1208.3 ft
24 hour change +.2 feet

daily inflow was 157,000 cfs
daily release was154,300 cfs

"releases will be stepped up to 160,000 cfs buy late June


Source (Missouri River Mainstem Reservoir Bulletin 6/23/11)

Folks, that is almost an additional 6,000 cfs. set to go.
This weekend will be the worst flooding we have seen to date.

Get your digital recording devices ready,
we must preserve how TPTB handle this Katrina of the Midwest.



edit on 24-6-2011 by Absum! because: sp



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
thanks for keeping us updated with this. its get so frustrating posting on ATS with the negative responses and horrible attitudes... keep up the posting bro.



posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I found this BEFORE the levee broke....this should be interesting. I wonder if this ups their time-table:

Top nuke official likely to visit Nebraska Monday.
KVNO News has confirmed that the head of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, Gregory Jaczko, will likely be stopping in Nebraska on Monday. Senator Mike Johanns’ office confirms the NRC has told his office to expect the Chairman Monday, although the NRC will not confirm the visit. Typically, these announcements are not confirmed until all scheduling is finalized. Cooper Nuclear Station, near Brownville, is still online but the rising Missouri is creeping closer to the plant. (Photo by Robyn Wisch) Jaczko would be heading to Nebraska to take a first-hand look at the state’s two nuclear power stations. The Fort Calhoun Nuclear Power Plant and the Cooper Nuclear Station near Brownville both lie along the rising Missouri, and are increasingly surrounded by water. Both Nebraska plants have been under investigation by the NRC in recent months. Fort Calhoun, which shut down for refueling in April and is still offline, was cited by the NRC last year for being inadequately prepared for flooding. The plant was placed, with two others, on an NRC “watch list.” Cooper was placed under investigation in March, after three workers were inadvertently exposed to radiation. Meanwhile, Governor Dave Heineman says he’s confident Nebraska’s two nuclear power stations are safe, and is glad the NRC Chief plans to visit.

I'll take a guess at why Governor Dave Heineman is confident Nebraska's 2 nuclear plants are safe, further in the article it says,
The Governor was in Omaha Thursday for a press conference at the Qwest Center, where he announced the city will again host the U.S. Olympic Swim Trials in 2012.


Hmm, interesting the two nuke plants in Nebraska are getting a first-hand personal visit Monday from the head of the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, if there is nothing to worry about, after all.
source: www.kvnonews.com...
edit on 24-6-2011 by RoyalBlue because: (no reason given)



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
Hi, folks- I'm new here, & I don't know about you but the local Channel 12 news here in Cincinnati just reported that the berm around the Calhoun plant collapsed at 1:30 this morning, & that the plant is inundated. I've been following this & the related threads religiously on this matter, so here's the latest that I could find. The news report also says the plant is safe, which it is NOT. My city is just alive all day at the moment with big helicopters that are all headed West for some reason. Sorry for no link but I'm trying to warn everyone I know & there's no time. Thanks from me & mine to all of you- CincyFreedom



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincyFreedom
Hi, folks- I'm new here, & I don't know about you but the local Channel 12 news here in Cincinnati just reported that the berm around the Calhoun plant collapsed at 1:30 this morning, & that the plant is inundated. I've been following this & the related threads religiously on this matter, so here's the latest that I could find. The news report also says the plant is safe, which it is NOT. My city is just alive all day at the moment with big helicopters that are all headed West for some reason. Sorry for no link but I'm trying to warn everyone I know & there's no time. Thanks from me & mine to all of you- CincyFreedom

Thanks for the update! I sure would like to know where the big helicopters are headed, and why. Has this happened before in Cincinnati, I mean the helicopter activity?



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 07:14 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue
 


Hi, there, Royal Blue- never has there been the kind of activity we've had today with helicopters. I've checked all our local news & traffic sites, as well as local crime news, & nothing that important is happening- no big wrecks on the roads, no disasters, no dangerous criminals, no big deals. We've had lots of rain but not that much in the way of flooding. So, if I was to guess, they could be headed out to help with evacuation or disaster relief somewhere- but it would have to be far from here. There's no where near the trouble here on the Ohio River that there is on the Missouri or the Mississippi. Stay safe everyone, whatever happens- CincyFreedom



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CincyFreedom
reply to post by RoyalBlue
 


Hi, there, Royal Blue- never has there been the kind of activity we've had today with helicopters. I've checked all our local news & traffic sites, as well as local crime news, & nothing that important is happening- no big wrecks on the roads, no disasters, no dangerous criminals, no big deals. We've had lots of rain but not that much in the way of flooding. So, if I was to guess, they could be headed out to help with evacuation or disaster relief somewhere- but it would have to be far from here. There's no where near the trouble here on the Ohio River that there is on the Missouri or the Mississippi. Stay safe everyone, whatever happens- CincyFreedom


Hi CincyFreedom, thanks for the response. You gave some good information, the kind you don't see in the news. I look forward to more updates if you come across any.



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by RoyalBlue
 


You're welcome. I'll try to keep folks posted from here, at least for a while. I speak some French & Spanish, so I'm going to start looking up some international sites & see what they- especially the scientists- have to say. I think I've pretty well exhausted the US sites by now, which many of you on ATS have pretty well covered. Sites like ATS are going to be the real news in some respects in this country, I can tell. I'm happy to be a part of it & help people out. -CincyFreedom



posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
This just in from ABC News (finally getting some US info here!!)- flood waters reached containment buildings & transformers at Calhoun on the 26th, forcing shutdown of electrical power. Backup generators are now keeping the plant cool. Federal inspectors are on the scene. ABC is saying there's no danger, but I've seen plenty on ATS of late that can give an argument to that. There was a fire earlier this month- I certainly hope there was time to fix what damage there was! -CincyFreedom




top topics



 
15
<<   2 >>

log in

join