It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chávez Illness Sparks Succession Talk .

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

online.wsj.com

Venezuelan officials scrambled Thursday to reassure compatriots that President Hugo Chávez was not seriously ill after his brother said the president would remain in a Cuban hospital for up to 12 more days, making it likely that Mr. Chávez will be away from the country for nearly a month.

The absence has sparked furious speculation about the president's health and led many in Venezuela to ask: What happens if the former army officer who has ruled Venezuela for 12 years is suddenly incapacitated or even dies?

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
While Venezuela does have a vice president, Elías Jaua, this article demonstrates just how far Chavez has taken the country from anything resembling the rule of law.

A strongman like Chavez, always establishes a cult of personality and derives his power from the personal and emotional tie as well as the image he projects.

The jackals and dogs are set to fight over the remains of Venezuela.

online.wsj.com

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by SirMike

online.wsj.com

Venezuelan officials scrambled Thursday to reassure compatriots that President Hugo Chávez was not seriously ill after his brother said the president would remain in a Cuban hospital for up to 12 more days, making it likely that Mr. Chávez will be away from the country for nearly a month.

The absence has sparked furious speculation about the president's health and led many in Venezuela to ask: What happens if the former army officer who has ruled Venezuela for 12 years is suddenly incapacitated or even dies?

Question.... If communism / socialsim / what have you is so great, as chavez proclaims every chance he gets, why doesnt he use a Hospital in his own country? Is he that paranoid someone will kill him? Or does his own country not have the skills to perform surgeries?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

great question chavez went to cuba for his healthcare begs too many questions

in another thread the chavez lovers jumped to his defense posting videos and telling people to watch that oliver stone movie

"something is rotten in denmark" ok well venezuela

reminds me of all those chez lovers.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Cuba puts out some of the best MD's in the world. If I had money to pick where I would have medical treatment Cuba would be high on the list above the USA. And I think Venezuela would be lower so I guess just from a statistical point he just went where he would get the best treatment. A lot of foreign leaders seek medical help in other countries where the expertise is greater.
That said, looks like we destabilized another regime we disliked,eh?
seed

posted on Jun, 25 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mustard seed

Unless you're a Cuban peasant.

Those hospitals and doctors are usually reserved for the ruling class and tourists.

I'm sure Chavez will get world class medical care...But here's hoping he'll die of complications.

edit on 25-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 26 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by mustard seed

Unless you're a Cuban peasant.

Those hospitals and doctors are usually reserved for the ruling class and tourists.

I'm sure Chavez will get world class medical care...But here's hoping he'll die of complications.

edit on 25-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

My god why? Why does this man need to die from complications?

He survived a coup attempt (will not blame any agency involvement) and served his people.

Yes, he has been in office for multiple terms but so have many others in American History!

FDR served beyond the 2 term precedent set by the great George Washington, and on a minor note:

Mayor Bloomberg of NYC "temporarily changed election law" to serve a 3rd term.

Yes, having billions has its advantages. So "why are we hating on hugo"?

new topics

top topics

join