It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Any astronomers out there?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Found this picture on the SOHO site today.....

It looks like there are streaks coming from the bright object and going in two different directions. Also, the bright object doesn't appear in the photo before or after this one. Anyone out there with real knowledge about what could possibly cause this on a photo from the SOHO satellite?

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Could be a heat spot on one of the cameras pixels. Does get them sometimes

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There's a number of things that can cause that. I don't know that we've got any astronomers here, but you can ask at www.badastronomy.com 's forums and there ARE professional astronomers there and you will have an answer in a few hours.

posted on Aug, 9 2004 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I found an old picture, and this one has a comet!

spaceweather.com...

[edit on 8/9/2004 by jp1111]

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Makuahine
It looks like there are streaks coming from the bright object and going in two different directions. Also, the bright object doesn't appear in the photo before or after this one. Anyone out there with real knowledge about what could possibly cause this on a photo from the SOHO satellite?

Hi, Mak:

To me, it looks like it could be a comet. Comets always have their tails pointed away from the sun when they are close. I guess that I'd better go check SOHO. I usually check it later in the afternoon.

Tiza

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Mak:
Can you link us to this image at SOHO, please. I have gone there and cannot find this picture. I notice it's 19:42. There isn't a 19:42 unless I'm looking at the wrong thing.

Thanks,
Tiza

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Sure - here's the link:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
It's near the bottom of the page now and it will probably be moved off to an archive page (as opposed to the "latest images" page) in a few hours.

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Sure - here's the link:
sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov...
It's near the bottom of the page now and it will probably be moved off to an archive page (as opposed to the "latest images" page) in a few hours.

Thanks, Mak. I was looking at the latest images page at that place kind of in the middle. I just just looking in the wrong place.

Tiza

new topics

top topics

join