It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House rejects measure to continue US role in Libya

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

House rejects measure to continue US role in Libya

www.breitbart.com

WASHINGTON (AP) - The House on Friday overwhelmingly rejected a measure giving President Barack Obama the authority to continue the U.S. military operation against Libya, a major repudiation of the commander in chief.
The vote was 295-123, with Obama losing the support of 70 of his Democrats one day after Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton had made a last-minute plea for the mission.

While the congressional action had no immediate effect on American involvement in the NATO-led mission, it was an embarrassment to a sitting president and certain to have reverberations in Tripoli and
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
I am glad to see the House make a stand.I wonder what is next,will they move to cut off funding for this operation?Personally I think they should,what is your opinion? To many innocent people are dying in these endless wars that are only about one thing,money! And this kind of madness needs to come to an end! So,where do we go from here? Will the President stop the ongoing attacks,or will he now put an end to them?

www.breitbart.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Finally some democrats waking up. Since democrats are ``supposed to be`` anti-war.. it should have been all democrats against the Libyan mission. But no...

Next step : impeachment.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I would certainly welcome that! Its a shame that more Democrats did not stand up for what is right!

link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Finally some democrats waking up. Since democrats are ``supposed to be`` anti-war.. it should have been all democrats against the Libyan mission. But no...

Impeachment, I wish! Obama likes his kings chair and doesent want to hear what we the people want.

link   
It's nice to actually read something good coming out of washington haha, but I'm glad because we have no reason to be getting involved in another war, especially when our government is already 14+ trillion dollars in debt.
edit on 24-6-2011 by smokeythabear because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Just going to get more nonsense from this.

The Dems will say the Reps are allowing the Libyans to suffer and refusing to help.

The Reps will say the Dems are bombing innocents and wasting our resources.

This doesnt matter. The wars/conflicts/kinetic military actions dont matter.

Just trivial occurrences that get spun however they are needed whenever they are needed.

The only thing that matters is our freedom and that's been evaporating exponentially while morons bicker.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by thisguyrighthere

Yes,our freedoms have surely been eroded,i would have never thought i would see this country turn into what
it has.And I wonder how we can ever take back what has been lost,or can it be?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
It is about time someone called a halt to the illegal actions of this presidency. I agree that Impeachment may not be far off, but the damage has already been done.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I have no idea what we are even doing over there.

Apparently neither does anyone else. The President has over stepped his power and is being called out on it. He insists that he doesn't need approval and apparently will continue to play loosey goosey with the military.

It doesn't make sense what he is doing. He ignores the advise of our military leaders in regard to a pull out in Afghanistan and then he uses the military in Libya for reasons unknown to anyone.

This man is over his head, he thought he could do the job and its becoming clearer with each passing day that he can't.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
Here is the link to see how all of the members voted

politics.nytimes.com...

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Correct me, if I'm wrong, but is finishing ANY war and stop civilians from dying is a good thing ?! I don't care, who (party) introduced that bill, but I have to agree, its one of the smartest one, which came out of Washington in a long time.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Poor Obama...
Congress is slaping him for the Lybia quagmire...while having to bow daily to Saudi King Faud, the real leader of the pro-war "NATO" group.
Good thing he is limber!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

Argee!! Of Course, they tried to impeach Clinton for lying under oath and failed. Starting your own war without Congressional approval, might hold up and then again, might not.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Now, this is interesting:

Hours after rejecting a resolution to authorize the U.S. military operation in Libya, the House on Friday voted down a measure that would have cut off funds for the mission's hostilities.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

They reject measures to continue, yet they fail to defund the mission.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

Wonder what else was in the bill?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Sarkozy of France is gonna be spitting teeth about this-he's just been whingeing on about the US not helping enough in Libya...Utter rot of course,as usual.

Will Obama be forced to disengage due to the house rejection,or will he go on anyway doing what he wants?
Does the ruling make it harder for him to continue?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Will Obama be forced to disengage due to the house rejection,or will he go on anyway doing what he wants?

Its not what HE wants. If the congress was serious about Libya, they would defund. They did not. Hypocrites. Any anti-Libya legislation would have to pass Senate too. Won't happen.

Just headline grabbing politics as usual.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Sorry Vitchilo, one attention grabbing, headline grabbing political statement won't lead to impeachment.

Why no mention of the bombings of Pakistan or Yemen? Its all just political antics.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by ErEhWoN

Sorry Vitchilo, one attention grabbing, headline grabbing political statement won't lead to impeachment.

Why no mention of the bombings of Pakistan or Yemen? Its all just political antics.

Yeah. I know. I was just dreaming out loud. Silly me.

While the House said they were against the Libyan mission... well guess what, they defeated the bill that would have cut the funding to bomb Libya.

House Defeats Effort To Yank Funds For Libya War And To Authorize the Mission

In a confused message to President Obama, the House on Friday voted down both a bill to defund U.S. involvement in the Libya mission and a measure that would have granted the mission Congressional approval for one year.

Shows that they are full of it.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join