It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to showing respect?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I just went to lunch in our small town. As I drove up the hill to the business district, a funeral percussion was coming at me from the other way and making the turn to the cemetery. I saw all the motorcycles and new it was for the young man we just lost in a motorcycle crash. I didn't know him, but my husband is good friends with his cousins.
I pulled over, as I ALWAYS do, and sat to wait for them all to go by. I counted 16 cars that past me, before another car pulled in behind me. It was a very large percussion, I may have been there 6-7 minutes.
Do people not know that it is a sign of respect? Are people just in too big of a hurry these days?
One lady that passed me actually gave me the "what the hell?' hands in the air gesture. I was off to the side of the road, not blocking traffic!

It just really mad me mad!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Welcome to 2011!!! Respect and morals are for losers. The schools are too busy brainwashing children into the "green" or "gay" agenda to be bothered with that crap. Enjoy the decline of civilization!

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Rubs me up the wrong way too.
The whole respect thing is lost these days .... its just seen as a sign of weakness.
The sad thing is the saying "Respect Begets Respect" is so true imho

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:49 PM
link   
I see no reason to honor that "showing of respect."
Motorcycle cops hired to hold up traffic at stop lights and stop signs have changed the dynamics of that.
In that we are forced to stop by off-duty police officers paid to control the unhindered passage of the corpse.
OK. that part is good thinking.

But when the procession is going one way on a busy road, and totally unrelated traffic is going the other way, there is no reason in Hell why they should pull over to pay their respects.

Habit and custom keep trying to maintain the status quo with this senseless proceedure. The police motorcycles are doing the necessary job. To my way of thinking, it is way too late "to show respect" for a person in that manner.

When it is me in that box, I don't want you to stop, just wave and hit the gas as you speed on to enjoy the rest of your life. (Actually, I won't be wasting a clump of real estate with my bones, the incinerator is destined.)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I always pull over. I remember as a child riding in the procession at my grandmother's funeral. It was the forst time I saw people pulling over. My mother told me it was a last show of respect for the deceased, and it is.

I think it is a dirty shame that people are just driving by and not stopping. Barring an emergency, there is no reason not to show respect.

new topics

top topics

join