It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is this when I login to Hotmail?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
I know this is a weird question, I'm pretty experienced in websites (see signature).

I just logged into Hotmail and noticed in the corner of my eye, when I hit "Sign In" an "Uploading" thing appeared in the left corner of my screen.

I've made a few image/file uploaders for clients and this is what it does when you upload a file/document/image to a web server.

Is it actually uploading something from my computer to their servers?

It's gotten me a little worried with all this hacking going around, any answers?

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6ae0c6e876ea.png[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
WOW, that is weird!! When I log onto my Hotmail, it never does that! Try contacting Microsoft?

You may catch them trying to hack you!

edit on 24-6-2011 by iSwag because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
maybe looking for your cookie?

I don't know, I use the just released Firefox 5.0 and don't have anything that shows uploading data when connecting to Hotmail.

Edit to say, there was a list of Gmail and Hotmail accounts and passwords released about a week back, and I immediately changed my passwords.

Hope you weren't on the list.

edit on 24-6-2011 by Grey Magic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Grey Magic

It's doing it with all my accounts though which is really strange. If any were compromised, I doubt all 4 of them would be.

Are you logging in with Chrome or another browser?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Prolly nothing to worry about as with new html5 standards and microsofts proprietry one they may be changing things to give better local vs cloud access to your email. Definately look it up though or contact them

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BungleX

I doubt it's any issues with HTML5, it's uploading something from my machine to a server.

It wouldn't be my account details because they will be posted to a login page using ASPX or whatever other framework they use.

I've submitted a question on the Hotmail forum and will await a reply.

Very strange though.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by scottlpool2003

Firefox 5.0 like I said before, and I use noscript.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Couldn't this be a virus or such on your computer looking to access all your accounts?
I just went through hell trying to get rid of a browser bug nothing will ever be the same again on this computer. My new browser gaurd bitdefender blocked a virus as soon as i loged onto ATS today.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

I'm not sure, I regularly run scans and defrag every week.

I've just installed an extra firewall which is a little better than the one I already had so I'll keep an eye on it.

I've been thinking that I'm being hacked for a few weeks, but using BT Homehub it's hard to see anything. The security logs don't even log failed login attempts so I can't tell if someone is trying to DDoS me which is really annoying.

I want to go in and change my password but if it's uploading something or I have a key logger there's not really much point is there.

I'll hold out and see what Microsoft say and run a full system scan to see if it picks anything up.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 07:20 PM
link   
from the screenshot it looks like the OP is using Windows Live Writer as well as other Windows Live apps. i may be wrong on this but i think it makes sense for Hotmail to query Windows Live applications installed on a user's pc in order to synchronize files and settings (i.e. Windows Live SkyDrive). try uninstalling Windows Live or at least disabling those apps from running when Windows 7 starts and see if it still does that when you log on to Hotmail. also, look into BHO (Browser Helper Objects) and how to disable/uninstall them (don't do this if you don't know what you're doing).

new topics

top topics

join