It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Human Ability to Accept Crisis Situations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
I recently watched part of a documentary called 'Prophets of Doom' on the History Channel. I haven't finished it yet but I do think there are quite a few relevant points made. I would recommend watching it (Prophets of Doom).

I'll have to paraphrase a bit so I apologize if I am not 100% correct on what was said but it was something along the lines of humans not being able to accept crisis until its too late. It was also said that those closer to the crisis are more likely to reject the likelihood of if happening. So for example, if a town was told a dam upstream was about to break open, those 5 miles downstream would be panicking but those right underneath the dam would not be because they refuse to accept the possibility of an imminent crisis. That is until they actually see the water coming through the crack.

I believe there is some truth to that. What are your thoughts?

If you do believe this as true then can this be applied to TPTB responsible for trying to get us out of this inevitable economic crash? Maybe these politicians and lawmakers are so involved in the situation they are not able (or willing) to step back far enough to realize the gravity of the problems we face (i.e. Eri c Cantor). Is that why people far enough away from the policy making (such as us in ATS) are able to see the picture clearer?

I think we all know that many stupid decisions have been made in the past by politicians, corporations, banks, trigger happy presidents etc. We all know by now the reasons why we are in this mess but this is not a thread about who was to blame. This is about why we aren't doing enough to fix it? Why are there still so many people convinced that the path our society is on will be able to continue to sustain itself?

Please try not to let this thread be one of finger pointing. Even if we all agree on who is at fault it still won't fix the problem. Plausible solutions only... if there are any.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
It all revolves around human nature. It is in our nature to procrastinate things and "wait and see" what happens. However, if there is such a plot from the TPTB to control everything or if it is as just as simple as implementing ideas and plans without any thought to the consequences, the end result is the same regardless. I think it just proves the point that some people get it, and some do not get it. People see what they want to see, cut and dry. Whatever the reason as to why we as a country are in the shape that we are is in most cases our own fault for allowing ourselves to be distracted with things that simply have no bearing on anything and quite frankly complacent as hell.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
There exists a psychological condition called a 'normalacy bias', that all humans have. This is a form of conditioning people have that makes them unable to imagine a lifestyle different than thier own. Sure, people hear about others suffering from crisis x y and z, but will never imagine themselves to go through it. Its the whole, "it could never happen here" mindset.
Perhaps this comes from fear of believing the possibility that it might happen and then quickly dismissing it, or, from thorough conditioning through a consistent lifestyle that doesnt allow the mind to imagine living any other way. In countries that have undergone serious catastrophic changes, the populace all believed it would never happen there, just as we do here.
I guess the scenario of the dam, does actually make sense. While those further down the stream are not suffering a significant lifestyle change, they are more willing to accept a little danger. But because those next to the dam could witness a complete lifestyle change, its less likely to happen (in thier minds) because of thier normalacy bias - its just unimaginable. Someone will save them, itll come down to the wire, but last minute, everything will be just fine they might argue.
This is all a natural response that people have. TPTB Im sure are well aware of this mentality, and feed into and are able to manipulate it easily through MSM etc.
It isnt that people are lazy per se, its just that in some places of the world... people have grown so used to a cushy lifestyle, that making cuts, or doing without such cushiness just doesnt seem right and is unheard of.
I suppose the only way to step out of this frame of mind is to be open to new ideas, and aware of worldly issues, hence why being here on ATS is so healthy.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EliThebrave

I suppose the only way to step out of this frame of mind is to be open to new ideas, and aware of worldly issues, hence why being here on ATS is so healthy.

At this point in time, I think the only way for this to happen is to force change to happen, whether intentional or by chance either way. People are so comfortable in their illusion of safety and comfort, some will never see. Until the day comes and they have absolutely no choice but to accept when it lands on the doorstep, then there will not be choice. Accept it, adapt to it, overcome it or die will be the only options available.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

I have been working for years on my stepdad. He has many old views of America that just dont live to be true anymore. He WILL not accept what has happened and is happening to our country and around the world. Ive shown him facts, and documents, among other tidbits. Instead of accepting reality and acting accordingly and responsibly, he accusses me of only bringing 'doom and gloom' to the forefront. It isnt neccesarily doom and gloom if you are prepared and can recognize it, I argue.
My point in this is, after all this struggle with him, he has become a bit emotionally unstable and has a few psychological issues that were all very concerned about now. Meanwhile, he still holds on to his fantastical illusion of the "reality" he grew up on. However, after almost a decade, hes SLOWLY becoming more accepting, but at the expense of his mental health. (Yes Ive eased up on it) While my mother on the other hand, embraces all of this with an open mind, and now keeps her eyes and ears out for things going on that I might miss.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EliThebrave

Yes, I understand. My dad, is similar. He still holds on to this belief that the only way to succeed in life, even today, and though he did not attend, but still feels that if one does not go to college they will never be successful. Even when you add the argument of taking out 60k in student loans and the growing problem of people unable to pay them back, he still believes it is worth it. However, considering that he also believes a garage full of cars and toys is how success is measured, does not sit well with me.

But yet, what I do not understand is the fact that when he grew up personal responsibility was a necessity and he is by no means a slacker but he did grow up during a time when people were more self-reliant than today, I have yet to figure this out as he is one that depends upon the system.

I too have tried to get him to see the light, and I have started just sending him articles and what not without any commetary and I leave him with, "check this out, what do you think". He is starting to fire back and ask why was this not on the news, and other comments saying what he saw on O'Reilly and Hannity was complete utter BS. There may be hope for him after all.
edit on 24-6-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
You guys make some good points. I imagine if my father was still around I would have a hard time convincing him of the serious issues we face as well. Although there are more and more people these days recognizing the likely upcoming economic collapse, there are still so many that refuse to accept it as a possibility. All I try to do is talk with my friends and family to expose them to the possibility. So many people are dependent on the system and while I am as well for the most part, I am making steps in the right direction. I hope more people realize this before it is too late.

new topics

top topics

join