It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

POLITICS: Immigrants Now Fighting For Voting Rights

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2004 @ 11:22 PM
link   
I wouldnt be against letting immagrants vote in local elections who have been here an extended amout of time and are wating to become a US CITIZEN. A period of 5-10 yr. would be legit for me.

Id also like to raise another point. I read that someoen said after about a year. Just to relate this to 911 but wasnt the terrorist who were here in teh country for over a year? WOuld you want them to vote for anything

[edit on 8^10^04 by Quicksilver]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Quicksilver
I wouldnt be against letting immagrants vote in local elections who have been here an extended amout of time and are wating to become a US CITIZEN. A period of 5-10 yr. would be legit for me.

Id also like to raise another point. I read that someoen said after about a year. Just to relate this to 911 but wasnt the terrorist who were here in teh country for over a year? WOuld you want them to vote for anything

[edit on 8^10^04 by Quicksilver]

No, you are right. Five years seems more reasonable.

U.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:36 PM
link   
WASHINGTON, Aug. 8 - For months, the would-be revolutionaries plotted strategy and lobbied local politicians here with the age-old plea, "No taxation without representation!" Last month, some of the unlikely insurgents - Ethiopian-born restaurateurs,

Did anyone even pay attention to the wording of this absolute garbage????

"would-be revolutionaries plotted"

"some of the unlikely insurgents - Ethiopian-born restaurateurs,"

It friggin called them insurgents!!!!! How blantently racist can you be??

People wanting voting rights are now refered to as insurgents??

God I feel sick to my stomach!!

absolute disgrace!

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigtex007
WASHINGTON, Aug. 8 - For months, the would-be revolutionaries plotted strategy and lobbied local politicians here with the age-old plea, "No taxation without representation!" Last month, some of the unlikely insurgents - Ethiopian-born restaurateurs,

Bigtex - he was actually comparing them to the pre-revolutionary colonists, not being racist. Insert "the american colonies" into each reference and it makes sense.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Sorry, just when I hear the word insurgent,I and probably most people just simply think terrorists...

I think the author made a mistake by using that particular word(insurgent) becuase that word doesnt usually get attached with the idea of freedom.

When every other word from bush is insurgents this,insurgents that, Most people will think of them as terrorists and not people who are fighting for voting rights.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
We have two types of immigrants in this country the ones that come to work in the country with visas and the ones that come in this country with illegally.

I agree with most of the other post that Illegal immigrants should not be allowed to vote on local or presidential campaign.

But a legal immigrant that has a visa to be in this country and have permission to works also pay taxes, this should be allowed to vote in this country as long as they are paying taxes.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
this should be allowed to vote in this country as long as they are paying taxes.

So as long as they pay taxes they should be able to vote???

Well theres sales tax,(here its 8% on a dollar,pretty substantial),they do pay income,social security,ect ect etc.

Wal-mart,mcdondalds,hotels,ect ect...alot of illeagals work at these places and they all have to pay them with checks and last time i checked...everyone who recieves a pay check pays taxes...that includes illegals..

plain and simple...They pay their fair share of taxes whether you want to accept the truth or not.

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I have worked with migrant workers before in order to pay taxes you need a social security number, in my years working with migrant families even the illegal had social security numbers, this people very candidly will tell me how they got their social security numbers and new identity for only 200 American dollars in the nearest town.

Yes with their new identity, they could send the kids to school and have a free meal, and they will get a job.

Most of them do not get pay with checks, they get cash and this is how it works.

You work for the pecan growers (example) he give you a places to live he will pay you cash but to work you have to buy your supplies from the grower's store and pay for the living expenses.

Some of this people were treated like slaves. They cannot go to the authorities because they will be arrested.

The ones that want votes they have permits and are legally in this country the illegal will not even sent their children to school afraid they will be discovered.

At least they have some protection here in the south.

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Most of them do not get pay with checks, they get cash and this is how it works.

Thats not true in the slightest bit!!!

Most do get pay checks...

They only people who dont are simple day laborers ect..which does not make up the majority of illgals.

You have never seen or heard of illgals working at wal-mart???it was a huge story a few months ago...millions worked at wal-mart...not inlcuding all the other places they usually work like mcdonalds,and fast food place..ect ect ect

Some get cash but most do not..Some americans get cash too..whats your point??

illegals that pick fruit ect for cash are in rural areas..its a fact that 90% of illeagals live in major cities in america.

[edit on 11-8-2004 by bigtex007]

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Well I worked with migrant workers and families for 5 years, in Dougherty county so I guess I am a lier and just make all this up. Right?

posted on Aug, 11 2004 @ 10:57 PM
link   
non citizens voting? what kind of stupidity is this? Sometimes there are things you try to understand, but this one just makes me crazy.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join