It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Chinese warships cross high seas off Japan island

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Japan's Defense Ministry said Thursday 11 Chinese warships were spotted in international waters off the country's southern island of Okinawa. No territorial violations were claimed by Japan, but the movements are sensitive because Japan and China have a dispute over small islands in the East China Sea.

With China also putting pressure on Vietnam are we about to see China starting to snatch instead of 'Playing nicely'?

Ministry spokesman Shuichi Fukuya said they were believed to be returning from target practice and refueling exercises in waters about 1,500 kilometers (930 miles) south of Okinawa. Separately, the foreign ministry said a Chinese maritime research vessel briefly entered Japan's exclusive economic zone Thursday, around 330 kilometers (205 miles) off the coast of Miyagi, one of the worst-hit areas in the March 11 earthquake and tsunami.

I really can't help but get the feeling that China are warming up to something.. its not based on anything rational or logical, just a gut feeling. I know that making a claim based on gut feelings doesn't wash up to well around these parts but hey.

Associated Press

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I think the gut feeling plays into the whole of what is going on at the moment, and is very understandable. as another commentator said in another thread, wouldn't it be nice to peek behind the curtains..

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
China has nothing to gain and much more to lose by provoking or even initiate a conflict with japan...

But... not everything is based on logic. I may be wrong.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
China has nothing to gain and much more to lose by provoking or even initiate a conflict with japan...

Not Japan necessarily but if China started a few conflicts like NATO has been then it sends a message.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
I do not particularly see China doing anything with force at this time. Not saying it could not happen or that China would not use force. They are in a position to and the have the ability to do the same thing through economics and controlling economies and trade. No need for force on their part at this time.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Skewed

China has also been flexing its muscle around the Philippines. When they complained China said they weren't planning on and armed conflict. However the US has agreed to help vamp up the Philippines Navy. China warned the US not to interfere in that area. Apparently China is taking advantage of the situation and knowledge that the US is embroiled in the Middle East and doesn't have the money to invest in that part of the world.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 08:35 AM
link   
there is a US army base (since WWII)... in Okinawa

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by redrose123

The Philippians are a former US colony, we have a mutual defense pact with them. China would be foolish to mess with them.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by XmikaX

Actually, there are more Marine and Naval personnel there. The Army pretty much only has 1st SFG (FWD) there now.
edit on 24-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

The Chinese ship, which was a Research vessel, was in the vicinity of the some of the worst damage from the earthquake and tsunami along the Japanese coast. Hmmmmmm.

Doesn’t China have their version of HAARP and they have admitted to weather manipulation. And why couldn’t that huge dish be their more advanced version of it. It doesn’t have to be a SETI dish.

Could it be that they were doing what is called in the military, Battle Damage Assessments?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Not Japan necessarily but if China started a few conflicts like NATO has been then it sends a message.

China has been around for a very long time.

in their entire history, have they ever "invaded" another nation for imperialistic reasons ?

have they ever "occupied" territory in another soverign nation ?

does China have military bases in other nations ?

they have been "victims" of imperialism.....yes?

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Actually if you do a little bit of historical digging you'll find that China was as imperialistic as most of the modern day societies if not MORE. They waged war for almost 100 years at times and have accumulated most of their land grabs through invading and conquering other dynasties.
Humans in general are invasive and war mongering so don't try to downplay any motives or actual moves right now. This world is in tough times and it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if some of the most neutral countries start making moves right now.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

in their entire history, have they ever "invaded" another nation for imperialistic reasons ?

have they ever "occupied" territory in another soverign nation ?

Lets just pretend you didnt actually asked that...

hm, vietnam, mongolia, korea, tibet, spratly islands, nepal, formosa...

but overall if what you meant was "other ppl picked more on china then china picked on other people", then yes, it is correct... but dont say they never, in their ENTIRE history invaded anything...

new topics

top topics

join